What is bipolar disorder?

@camar_lyn (1028)
Singapore
A friend of mine has been diagnosed with bipolar disorder. She is so depressed with the news and i do not want to upset her further by asking her what it is. Does anyone know about bipolar disorder? Is it similar to schizophrenia?
I think it means that your mood changes alot, but your highs are to high and your lows are to low
@camar_lyn (1028)
Hi thanks for your cooments. I was clueless about bipolar before my friend was diagnosed with it. Can i do anything to help?
@Idlewild (6105)
It used to be called manic depression, since it's usually marked by alternating periods of depression and mania (euphoria). The mania part of it can be seen in an extreme optimism, desire to start up all kinds of money-making schemes, spending lots of money, etc. Medication can help with the condition, hope your friend is OK. You can check here for info.... National Assocn for Mental Illness http://www.nami.org/
@camar_lyn (1028)
Thank you for your response Idlewild. I will go check the website and forward it to her. I Hope she's OK as well. God Bless!