Teenager and working. What is a good age?

My son will be 15 next month and me and my husband think it is a good idea for him to get a part time job. My mom is totally against it saying it will be to much pressure with school and he won't have time for his friends. I remember working as a teenager. Have things changed. My son is looking forward to it. It will only be for the summer to start.
@merkava (1226)
I started since I was in grade school. It was nothing important just doing some neighborhood cleaning and paper rounds but it helps build good work ethics and character. I remember I was just 9 when I started that venture. It was hard but very rewarding. I was the only one in my class who has enough money to help out my family unlike them all they do is ask for it. 15 was when I started working in the fast food business. A good age is to start someone as early as possible. What they learn on those simple childish business ventures will eventually be their foundations when they grow up. At first I thought I must be the worst kid in the world but as soon as I got older I realized how much of a help those simple jobs were to me. Right now I can proudly say I'm very successful in my fields of work. I have people twice my age who still envy me at work and I don't care about that because when we were young all of us were given free will and choices, I just took a different path from them, that's all.
@teison2 (5924)
• Norway
i think it is a very good thing for a teenager to have a part time or summer job. It teaches them resposibility, and gives them a bit of money they themselves can have the controle over. i do not think 15 is to young for a summer job, or even part time job. Of cource there has to be a limit to how much they work. I agree that it should not make them loose out on spending time with friends, or not have enough time for schoolwork. i do think is should be possible to find a balance
@MakDomMom (1474)
Starting him out with a summer job is perfect. I started working at 15 walking dogs at a local veternarian. When I turn 16 I started working at the attached Pet Store. I worked there all through High School. As long as he is getting too many hours (child labor laws help to prevent that) then there shouldn't be a problem with him working. If his grades start to slip then you should eveluate teh situation - but otherwise it's good for him. It will allow him to get some things that mom and dad may not see as "needs" too!
That's how I felt. He will be working at a local amusement park and it will be part time. He's now wanting things that I do really think are neccesary but he wants anyway. I think it is a good idea for him to earn them. That way he also learns the value of a dollar. We will see how this summer goes and if he wants a parttime job after that we will try and find him one that will work for all of us.
i got a job when i was 16, and it taught me respobility, and i got some extra cash i think 15 is a great age to start im 18 now and hold a job better than any of my friends because i started earlyer and he can save up for a car so you dnt have to pay for it all
@mdarma (868)
What is the culture in your area, do childern go to work at that age? If you are saying working during your school holiday to earn some extra money to do or buy something for himself, I feel that is ok. If it is a permanet job then, I don't think that is fair on him. (Just because started work at an early age, does not mean that he has too) Just like your mom say , let him enjoy his childwood growing up. Once that stage passes it will never, never come back to him. Cheers