So what happens after a medical discharge?

I'm most likely getting a medical board due to my scolosis and lordosis interfering with my physical performance, and I may be looking at a medical discharge. So what will happen? Will I be able to keep my GI bill? Does anyone know how they figure the percentage of disability?
@gr8esama (1255)
My father was medically discharged from the military back in 1977, after he fell through the roof of a two story building and landed on his feet (it was a training exercise for Vietnam, so he didn't receive any parting awards.) I called him up after reading your post and asked him about what medical discharge was like from his experience. I don't know how much it applies to Navy, but seeing as they're both military, there may be some similarities. This is what he told me, I don't know if you know all of it already, but I shall pass it along anyways. The discharge should not effect your GI Bill at all. Percentages are evaluated every so often. 30% and above you will get essensially retired. You'll receive a pension and other bits from the military goodie box of benefits. It may not be much, and not as much as if you were high ranking and retiring after a long career, but it will be something. 10 and 20% you pretty much just receive a lump sum of your current pay and they cut you off. He says that since your condition is genetic and not caused by the military, you may have a tough time getting VA to rate it. But they will look at you and decide if your military service caused or made your problems worse. He says they could put you on TDRL (Temporary Duty...uh.. oh man, I didn't write that part down.) Basically 50% of your pay and you'll be reevaluated every year. But note that they don't have to listen to what the doctors say. In my father's case, they looked at him, said he was 40% disabled and should be seen again in 18 months or so. But instead the military just gave him a lump sum, with VA benefits and a tiny bit of money every month (currently 500, but whenever he gets around to finally divorcing my mother he expects to see it drop about 150$) He says that VA does care and understand what you're going through, as most of the people who work for VA used to be in the military themselves. They can rate you up to 250% (adding percentages for various things that they see as a diability.) Learning all this makes me feel kind of sad. I wish we could take better care of our disabled veterens. I hope that they treat you well. At least you have some fantastic artistic skills to fall back on. Without the military my father was pretty much at a loss for what to do with himself.
thanks for this repsonse- It helps alot to know that there's a possibility of getting some help if I get discharged.
@gr8esama (1255)
Yes, my father still goes to the DAV for all his medical needs. Here's hoping that they'll support you with health benefits. It's true that you could probably get better treatment from a hospital that makes you pay in full, but discount medical attention is much better than no medical attention at all. The fact that this developed after your training may work very much in your favor. It definately sounds like military life aggravated something that was already there.
@cowgirl2701 (2081)
You should still be eligible for the GI Bill. They will send you paperwork to fill out for the disability. They will have their doctors decide what percentage of disability you will get. If they are pre-existing conditions that you knew about and didn't tell them it will get a little difficult. Good luck.
thank you so much. The scoliosis and Lordosis developed after boot camp so I think that it will be considered-'line of duty injury'
i had a medical discharge, it depends actually, if you have been in over 180 days you will get an honorable discharge, i didnt i just got a medical discharge, you dont get to keep your GI bill unless you have been in for some time, 180 days i believe is the official your in the navy navy, so if your under you probably wont get it. And idk how they figure the percentage of disability, the military sucks for taking care of you once your out, so just forget you were ever in, I try.