inspiration

does one needs a reason for him to write poetry or he just goes to the flow on expressing what he feels through writing poetry? why?
@towongfoo27 (2989)
I think writing poetry is a "fake it until you make it" sort of deal, because we don't always have a reason, and it is hard to go with the flow sometimes. I think poetry is a genre of writing that requires mechanics and finesse, too. Once you have the mechanics down, you can play with the form and content more. It is good to have a reason and to go with the flow if you can, just don't depend solely on either one, because time interferes sometimes. You have to be quick and open-minded to jot poetry down in the moment if you choose to go with the flow, otherwise the moment passes, then your reason might fade in strength a bit. On the other hand, if your reason is solid to you, I see no reason not to explore.