Have you ever been stung by a jellyfish? They live in every ocean in the world!

@seamonkey (1981)
March 31, 2007 8:46am CST
Wiki's entry on jellyfish tells us: "Most jellyfish have tentacles coated with thousands of microscopic nematocysts; generally, each of these nematocyst has a "trigger" paired with a capsule containing a coiled stinging filament, as well as barbs on the exterior. Upon contact, the filament will swiftly unwind, launch into the target, and inject toxins... ...A few are highly toxic, such as Cyanea capillata. The recently discovered Carukia barnesi is also suspected of causing two deaths in Australia. " Although most jellyfish are harmless, and are made up of about 98% water, they have a bad name. Have you ever been stung by one? Do you have a sting remedy? I have only been stung once, when I stepped on a dying jellyfish in the sand. I was always told to use a baking soda paste to draw out the sting. I didn't have any onhand, wnd while the sting wasn't bad, the irritation lasted two or three days.
2 people like this
7 responses
@drakan291 (817)
• Ireland
11 Apr 07
I sail so i have been stung by alot of jellies. None of the bad ones, but we have lions manes around here so I wear a full suit whenver I am out sailing.
1 person likes this
@jsitko (1169)
• United States
13 Feb 08
I grew up by the ocean on the east coast so Yes I have gotten stung by a jelly fish many times. We didn't have the great big ones but had plenty of the smaller red and clear jellyfish. Boy did they hurt. The first thing we would do is swim to the shore and rub wet sand on the sting area to get all the stinger off. Then my Mom would sprinkle meat tenderizer on the area, she read that is a womans magazine years ago. It worked. The worst thing ever was to get stung under your bathing suit. Huh, Memories... As for peeing on the sting, it is said that it does work. I believe it is due to the potassium in the urine. I never did try that. If you ever see any on the shore or in the water, just be careful and pick them up by the body and keep the tentacles away from you. If I am not mistaken, it can not sting the palm side of your fingers.
• Germany
19 Jan 08
me and my husband (my boyfriend that time) were on a holiday in boracay, philippines when i got with a jelly fish. we were walking on the seashore when i saw a long blue thread-like thing. being the nosy person i was, i went to have a closer look (my boyfriend was taking pictures of me, so i thought that bending down on something would be a good "stolen" shot) as soon as i got near, the wave washed the blue thread on my feet and it stung like hell. thank god my boyfriend didn't get that on picture. my whole leg started to be numb and painful. we went to the nearest hotel, and they gave a vinegar to wash my leg with and soaked it in for 30 mins. then i was ok. moral of the story: if u want a good pose, go to a studio- :(
• Singapore
14 Apr 07
No.. thank God! Anyway I am not really one for sea sports. So I would really need to buy lottery if such things happen. :P
@bluewings (3857)
14 Apr 07
Well, I don't know if it was jellyfish or not ,but I have been stung in the ocean and I had to swim back to the shore to take a look at it .It really burned my leg ,but the pain didn't last too long ,otherwise,I'd not have forgotten about it .It could have been jellyfish ,but I never got to see it as I just wanted to get back to the shore and away from whatever it was as soon as possible.
@mtdewgurl74 (18118)
• United States
13 Apr 07
Nope, Sorry I haven't been stung by a jelly fish thank goodness. I hear it hurts to be stung by them though. So I wouldn't want to get stung at all. It is good to be careful though because you can never tell sometimes a poisoness one may sting you.
@franxexces (1096)
• Philippines
13 Apr 07
I have been stung many times.. The worst one was when I was at sand bar. I really hate jelly fishes.. I wonder why they exist.