Are you disabled?

Marion, Kansas
When I was expecting my second child I read a lot of books about healthy pregnancy and childbirth. One book indicated that if you wear glasses, you have a birth defect and are disabled. I was taken aback by that statement. Most of the people in my family wear glasses. I came across an interesting quote about disability about five minutes ago, and I invite your response. This is a quote from Helyn Hoffa, who was stricken with polio, many years ago. She is a great advocate for the disabled. This is from a "Chicken Soup" story. "The disability that cripples more people than any other is ignorance. All of us are disabled in one way or another - some physically, some economically - the list is endless. But if you can conquer ignorance, all your other disabilities melt away." So, do you have a disability, given these thoughts?
@Grandmaof2 (7603)
I find this discussion very interesting. I have several health issues. I have asthma fairly bad although I do have good days too. I have deteriation of my lower spine and need both knees replacements. I finally after many years of complaining about micrane headaches I finally got a CT scan that revelled I have an abnormal large vessel that has grown through my brain. They know it can not be removed but I'm waiting for an MRI to see if there is something they can do. With that said I feel "YES" I definately would be classed as someone being disabled.
• Marion, Kansas
I am guessing that you are very able, as well, as you have survived so far, and are learning and doing new things.
I am dislexic big time. But, I have overcome it with a lot of effort. If I am tired or stressed, it creaps back, but nobody even knows it about me. I can read and talk backwards.
• Marion, Kansas
Friend, I would not have guessed, and I usually can tell about learning disabilities and some other disabilities from the posts people make. I think sometimes the most talented people, creatively, do have processing problems, like dyslexia and dysgraphia.
@charms88 (7545)
I think we are all ignorant in some ways or another. As we grow older, we will gain more insight and knowledge in life. But unitl then, we will still be ignorant on a lot of things. I have a friend who told me that she can't live without her husband. She can't go out of the house on her own. She can't do things on her own. I thought that was ridiculous considering she is not young anymore. She said that she felt disabled when her husband is not on her side. I can easily applaud her for the love and devotion she is giving to her husband. But I can't say that I envy her. For me, she need to explore more about herself. She has been too ignorant with the outside world. How so can she learn more without standing up on her own.
@applsofgld (2506)
Yes, I am disabled. I was declared disabled several years ago when I was diagnosed with a rare cancer. I can live with this cancer for quite some time, but I have a continued fight on my hands, guess that's why they call it a battle. I have noticed that as the months and years have gone by, I am slowing down considerably, it is the hardest for me to accept and admit to anyone that I cannot do things I love to do. I am a very stubborn and independant woman, I love to do things for myself, but just can't get my body to think that way anymore.I am sure that more and more in the future I will need to ask for assistance with everyday things
• Marion, Kansas
The woman I quoted is now spending most of her days in an iron lung. I see her brain working though, and I see your mind working each day on myLot. I am sorry for your medical situation, though. I have had to help family members through various stages of ability and disability.
@kathy77 (7488)
Oh this must be some kind of superstition, as I do not believe this. Yes well I do believe that if you can conquer anything in your life then you will not be disabled and of course it will definately melt away.