Shark Fin Soup, anyone?

Do you take shark fin soup? - A bowl of shark fin soup is a delicacy and everyone likes it.
@whyaskq (7523)
Singapore
April 28, 2007 11:38am CST
I was searching the freezer for something to go with my noodles for dinner when I discover shark fins. Yummy! I could have shark fin soup for dinner... I did not. I recalled reading reports calling for preservation of sharks, boycotting shark fin soup as there are some fishermen who caught sharks and then throw them back to the sea after cutting out their fins. It gave me an eerie shiver. The next paragraph is for the benefit of those who might not have heard of or tasted shark fin soup. Shark fin soup is one delicacy popularly eaten by chinese, especially for set dinners at chinese restaurants. It is a form of stew made using the processed form of cartilaginous pectoral and dorsal fins from sharks. Huge preparation and hours are required to cook to soup and that is probably one of the reasons why it is so pricely. There are many ways of cooking shark fin soups, depending on the ingredients added. There are even vegetarian versions, using bean sprouts or mung bean vermicelli shaped to resemble shark fins. It really taste nice when cooked with chicken shreds, mushroom, crab meat etc. I did not have shark fin soup for dinner because of the time required to cook it, plus there weren't enough ingredients to have a nice flavoured soup. Many people simply like the dish. For those who have not eaten before, would you like to try it if there is a chance? For those who have tried, do you like shark fin soup? Will you still eat it despite calls for boycotts? Or will you still eat it because it is a delicacy? For the vegetarians, is shark fin soup taken also because it is a "delicacy"? For those who do not take it, is there any reason? Kindly share your views. Thank you.
9 people like this
26 responses
• Philippines
30 Apr 07
I haven't tried it yet Whyaskq. But I would be eager to get a taste of it. Just to see, why it is consider such a pricy delicacy. It must really taste good. And unfortunately too, sharks are being preserved to it's quite a mix feeling. Maybe a bite will do. But I will still feel guilty about it. (^^,)
@whyaskq (7523)
• Singapore
3 May 07
Try the vegetarian version. It taste equally good ;)
@winterose (39887)
• Canada
30 Apr 07
I am not very much of a fish eater of any sort. I have never tasted shark. I am not sure that I could enjoy fins, as it is very foreign to me. But I suppose if my boyfriend tried it in a restaurant I would take a little taste just to see what it taste like, and if I liked it I would then order my own.
2 people like this
@charms88 (7538)
• Philippines
28 Apr 07
Oh, I just read from someone above who is ready to behead you. I hope this member will realize that your thread is for the sake of discussion only. Shark fin soup is indeed popular here in my country since we have a lot of Chinese restaurants around. But its quite expensive here. I had watched a documentary about preservation of sharks months ago and I honestly have to say its not a pleasant show to watch. Its a good thing I'm not fond of shark fin soup. How about corn soup? You'll be assured your head is still attach to your skinny body. I see you head is ready to explode any seconds now, LOL!
@charms88 (7538)
• Philippines
28 Apr 07
Oh wealthy, I'm really sorry. I do respect your opinion here. Bighead here is a good friend. No offense meant. Peace.
1 person likes this
@whyaskq (7523)
• Singapore
28 Apr 07
Thanks, charms for your kind support :) I only eat it once a year, and the fin I found is leftover from Chinese New Year, which is about 2 months back. I take corn and carrot soup rather often though. I have 3 heads now. One gone still got 2 left :P
• United States
28 Apr 07
My response wasn't meant to offend him, but I take serious subjects like this serious. Maybe you are just here for money because you can get more yuan. If you want something a little more fun, maybe it may be best to switch to a fun and game category
1 person likes this
@maddysmommy (16230)
• United States
28 Apr 07
Never heard of "shark fin soup" however I would be open to trying it out one day. Sounds like a luxury delicacy - are they expensive to buy?
@maddysmommy (16230)
• United States
28 Apr 07
WOW $US100, too much for my budget LOL but thanks for sharing!
1 person likes this
@whyaskq (7523)
• Singapore
28 Apr 07
To me, it is rather expensive in Singapore and there are canned ones available in the market. It can cost as high as US$100 for a bowl of high-quality soup in a top restaurant in Bangkok Chinatown. Perhaps there is a Chinatown in US selling the soup?
• Singapore
28 Apr 07
I quite like shark fins soup to be honest. Not all sharks are killed mercilessly for just their fins and thrown back to the sea. As long as they are killed "properly", I don't see why not. It's good stuff. :P
1 person likes this
• United States
29 Apr 07
I know you are referring to my post, but how can you be sure. When I saw that documentary on PBS, I am not talking about a dozen sharks, We are talking over 50 strapping, over 100 pound sharks captured by these large commercial cargo fishing vessels. I could not believe it. What really disturbed me is that they caught squid, octopus, and other strange fish and threw back the shark, why not get someone to buy the meat
1 person likes this
• United States
28 Apr 07
You should be ashamed of yourself, I should turn you into the authorities. That is a brutual, despicable practice that these people are doing to these sharks. I saw a documentary on this, I watch in horror as live sharks were de-fin and thrown back into the water alive to die, Just to satisfied Yin Lee apettite. You think that they could find someone to buy the rest of the meat. It is rather tasty when fried and stewed. I am not interested in your shark fin soup. I think you are actually bluffing!
1 person likes this
@whyaskq (7523)
• Singapore
28 Apr 07
I am not sure if the meat is rather tasty when fried and stewed, but the fin itself is tastless. btw, how do you know if you have not eaten it? It is the stew that makes the dish tasty.
• United States
28 Apr 07
You support my point, why kill so many sharks for a tasteless fin. A delicacy? I know lots of other tasty stews, but the brutual act just to adorn a plate with a shark fin is enough to make me not want any
1 person likes this
@Lydia1901 (16351)
• United States
1 May 07
Well, I did not know that people eat sharks. I know there are alot of weird food out there and I think shark is one of them. I don't think I want to try that soup. It doesn't sound very appealling to me.
@Darkwing (21583)
28 Apr 07
Delicacy or no, I don't think I would like to try Shark Fin Soup. I like a lot of different Chinese foods but I really don't fancy the sound of this. Why, if you can put all the other ingredients in, are shark fins required. What difference to they make to the flavour, or do the fins have special health properties or something? I'll eat fish soup, especially Thai fish soup, but I really think I might be a little cautious in eating Shark Fin Soup. Brightest Blessings my friend.
@whyaskq (7523)
• Singapore
28 Apr 07
Ever heard of the joke people claim to use shark fin to floss their teeth? Shark fin are really fine and tasteless. But some big chunky ones really has nice texture. Personally, I do not think shark fins are required if the stew is the main emphasis, that's why there is the vegetarian version or imitation version.
@smkwan2007 (1036)
• Hong Kong
29 Apr 07
People in my city like to eat shark fins. Whenever you go a wedding dinner, you may have the chance of taking in shark fin soup. But I personally not especially fond of the food. I don't its very delicious. And I would not spend money buying such food. I whole heartedly support the activity of saving the sea animal.
1 person likes this
• United States
28 Apr 07
First of all, I love your avatar! If this had been going on for several days, then sorry I was so busy these past few days so I wasn't able to visit myLot, and had not seen your avatar revision. Anyway, I don't think I could eat shark fin soup because I couldn't stand the smell of sharks. I have dissected a baby shark during my pre-medical days; and boy, I couldn't stand the smell of it! I always had to apply preservative onto it, but it could only help a bit. Thus, I couldn't even try it, although I can eat any chinese food except for that and century eggs. For me, my sense of smell is very important in order to appreciate the food. Happy myLotting!
1 person likes this
@whyaskq (7523)
• Singapore
2 May 07
I cannot imagine disecting a shark :P btw, glad you like my new avatar. I find it move lively than the previous. Put it up so as not to waste my friend's effort to have some fun with it. lol.
@liranlgo (5752)
• Israel
28 Apr 07
I had to read the topic of your post twice to believe it. LOl. Well here we never heard of a shark soup and we do not have it in my country. I never tasted it and i really do not believe i will in the near future. You know that we belong to such different cultures, in my culture i do not think people ever heard of shark soup, and i believe if they would be offered it, you will see a sour face saying: no. Thank you. LOl. I know that we have our special food, that does not appear at your countries manu, and you also would look at us with a strange look when we will offer you that. When i was living as a child in the us, i remember we got a big package of food from israel that contained: mimrach shocolad, that is chocolate spread. Everyone here eats it. We always spread it on bread and make sandwich out of it. And when i offered it to a few children in my taste, they were disgusted. LOL. So it all depends on your culture and if you do have open mind. But i do wish you a lovely shark fin soup, and hope you will enjoy it. :)
@whyaskq (7523)
• Singapore
2 May 07
I agree we need to have an open mind blending with different culture. I do take chocolate spreads on bread. Thanks for your regards.
• Singapore
29 Apr 07
In the past, we had real shark's fins soup with all the shedded chicken and the dried scallops. We also used to enjoy it fried with scrambled eggs. Those were delicious. These are very expensive dishes though so were had only at special occasions. In recent years though, there has been a lot of media attention on the plight of sharks. They being slaughtered for their fins and thrown back into the sea. With that, some wedding banquets now exclude shark's fins totally. As for us, now we've turned to FAKE shark's fins. They are equally delicious and don't hurt the sharks. Well worth a try because they taste close to the real thing.
• United States
29 Apr 07
Well, I Have never heard of such a thing. Very interesting. Where have you eaten it before? Is there a resturaunt that sells it?
@whyaskq (7523)
• Singapore
3 May 07
It's a chinese dish. Try the chinatown? Singapore definitely has it in most chinese restaurants.
• United States
29 Apr 07
I would not eat it because I was born a vegetarian, sharks are endangered, and it simply doesn't sound appealing. I would love to try a vegetarian version, bean sprouts are so delicious, as is vermicelli. I think a boycott is humane, and people should work to recreate the taste they savor without harming the sharks. I know people will keep eating delicacies though, cause it makes them feel special. Caviar, for example is just salty eggs. I have tried it in sushi (or just in the middle of a nori-wrapped rice roll), but I like olives better. There are plenty of more humane and tasty dishes to cook that will take hours to prepare. People can always try new foods to solve the problem of missing a taste. But don't ask me to eat meat, I can't digest it after 18 years of being a vegetarian anyway!
@dana234 (2114)
• Spain
28 Apr 07
I haven´t eaten this soup before and to be honest I wouldn´t like to try it either. I think I would just choke on it knowing that I´m eating something that has caused so much barbaric suffering to an animal. I would much prefer the vegetarian version that you mentioned in your post. No offense meant to those who do like shark fin soup.
@brimia (6581)
• United States
28 Apr 07
I'm vegan so I wouldn't eat it anyway but I think it's pretty awful what they do to the sharks. People are overfishing the waters at such a fast rate that the fish don't even get a chance reproduce and repopulate.
1 person likes this
@lkbooi (16070)
• Malaysia
24 Jul 09
Hi whyaskq, we prepare our daily dishes with vegetables most of the time. Rice is our staple food, so rice is a must in our daily meals. We would take meat at least twice weekly. We have never prepared shark fin soup as our daily meal before. We have chances to taste it only when attending wedding dinner or any other occasion dinners. I don’t think all the shark fin soups served in the restaurant are genuine shark fin, for shark fin is quite expensive in price. Of course if the customers designate that he will pay for the real shark fin with high price. So until now I still don't know how the taste of the shark fin is for I'm not sure weather the shark fin I have eaten before is the genuine shark fin Happy posting
@gemini1960 (1161)
• Philippines
28 Apr 07
I do eat shark fins, but the steamed one its very delicious but i havent try the soup of it, thanks for the information regarding this particular food. I dont know if im going to stop eating sharkfin honestly.
• Norway
28 Apr 07
Sharks are endangered and if they disappear from the ocean it will mess up the bio-system. We need to stop caring so much about our tasting buds and start preserving the ocean! Would you eat tiger soup?
1 person likes this
@Whisp1976 (488)
• United States
29 Apr 07
I eat meat but I won't touch it if I think it was killed in an inhumane manner.