What's the colour of your passport?

@fab315 (1231)
Philippines
July 27, 2007 3:36am CST
My husband just told me that his daughter is renewing her passport in Spain, for her trip this Tuesday. She's coming here to have a vacation. And speaking of passport.... It makes me wonder, why do we have different passport colour? When am in the airport, I always look at other people's passport and the colour, wondering where they're from or what's their nationality. I asked my husband, he said he doesn't know. Who chooses the colour for each contry? Is it assigned? What's the colour of your passport? Mine is green.
2 people like this
10 responses
@tute_cute (317)
• Indonesia
27 Jul 07
Do you like travelling fab3i5???? I think my passport color is red. So, red means Brave!!!!! Bravo!!!!
@fab315 (1231)
• Philippines
27 Jul 07
I've only been to few countries. Yes i love to travel.. I would love to explore the world..hehehehe I better start saving.... :D
• Indonesia
30 Jul 07
I just know that u are from Philipine....That is Not too long from Indonesia, isn't it??? We will be nice neighbour......heheheheheh.....What do you think my country??? I like Philipine's Culture, and i hope one day later I can travel There.
@fab315 (1231)
• Philippines
31 Jul 07
I haven't been to you country, but i would love to go there one day. Yeah, we're just neighbours. You're welcome to go visit Philippines, i'm sure you'll have fun there. Cool! *smile* cheers! :D
@raijin (10345)
• Philippines
24 Aug 07
I am from the Philippines, our passport color is also green. So that makes our passport the same, as I also do not know the reason why some have different color. I guess it must be because for airport authorities to easily identify whcich country a certain person was, just a thought because I am not really sure about it..
@fab315 (1231)
• Philippines
25 Aug 07
HellO! I'm from Philippines too! Kabayan! =) thank you. take care! ciao! txel
@raijin (10345)
• Philippines
25 Aug 07
So that's why we both have the same passport colors, sorry if I missed your comment on it!;)
@subha12 (18441)
• India
18 Mar 08
in my country india, the colour of the passport is deep blue.i also do not know who fix the colour of the passport though.May be some government official decided so,
@joyce959 (1559)
• Philippines
24 Aug 07
My passport is also green, its the one I use with personal travels. I also have red passport, I used it with official travel, that is, when my company send me to other country officially and the travel is financed by the company (gov't). I guess every country has its own designated color of passport.
@fab315 (1231)
• Philippines
25 Aug 07
HellO! That's cOOl! you have two passports of different colours! nice... thanks for sharing... ciao! txel
@maximax8 (31053)
• United Kingdom
2 Aug 10
My passport is dark red. It has got a soft cover. It is a British passport. It has the same color cover of all the EU countries I have noticed. My first passport was the old style that can't be obtained anymore. It was dark blue almost black with a hard cover. If I am waiting in a queue for passport control I see different colored passports. I think the government of a country chooses the passport color but it could change like it did in my home country.
@dreamy1 (3811)
• United States
27 Jul 07
Where are you from? I'm from the USA and my passport is blue. As far as I've seen every American I know has a blue passport but there are different colors like if you're a diplomat or something like that. So not every American will have a blue passport unless you're special. It appears every country has a different color so that way they can differentiate the countries. That just makes sense to me. I imagine the government (not sure which department) decides the color of passports.
@fab315 (1231)
• Philippines
27 Jul 07
I'm from Philippines. Before i thought that all Asian countries have the same passport colour.. but i was wrong. Some countries have the same passport colour?
• United States
26 Aug 07
My passport from the '70s (my first passport) was olive green for the United States. Now, the United States passport (As well as many others) is blue.
@vishwas81 (359)
• India
25 Aug 07
My passport color is black. I don't know more about that .
@joahnna18 (368)
• Philippines
26 Nov 07
I don't know maybe it's easier to know where you from because of the passport. The color of our passport is maroon:)
• United States
1 Mar 08
Each country has a series of passports that come in colors based on its classification. Generally, passports come in four main categories: 1. Ordinary or Tourist. 2. Diplomatic. 3. Official or Service. 4. Special passports. Currently, the United States issues the following passport colors: 1. Dark blue for Ordinary passports. 2. Black for Diplomatic. 3. Maroon for official government personnel, but are not at a diplomatic level. The black and maroon passports are also issued to all family members. For example, if your spouse works for the government in Germany, and the whole family resides in that country, they would more than likely have two passports. A regular tourist passport and the government issue, which may be black or maroon, depending on their status. In the past, The American Tourist Passport has changed colors. It was maroon up until the end of World War II. Then in 1945 it was changed to olive green. This lasted until the late 1970s, when it changed to medium blue, with a circle around the State Dept. Coat of Arms. Then later on it became dark blue in the 1990s. The traditional U.S. Passport contains 24 pages, but special "business" passports were available until 2007 that contained 48 pages. These larger passports were intended for frequent travelers who travel around the world, who needed the extra visa pages. Sadly, the 48 page passports are no longer issued. However, you can fill out a special form that will allow for the addition of extra visa pages to be added to a regular passport for no extra fee. Before the establishment of the European Union, every country in Europe has a passport that was uniquely colored. I can remember seeing a very beautiful passport from Belgium that was yellow with a black legend. Likewise, a nice pastel blue from France. Other colors were purple, and orange. Recently, the Philippines changed from their old olive green (dating back to U.S. Colonial possession of their archipelago nation) to a maroon color, which has an electronic chip embedded inside. Moreover, diplomatic passports issued from Manila are dark blue, whereas the "Seaman's Identification Record Book," is a light blue passport. Japan has two passport colors for tourists. The five year passport, which is automatically issued to citizens under 16, is dark blue. However, the regular red passport is valid for 10 years. Interestingly enough, adults can apply for a five or 10 year passport, depending on their preference. Whereas, the Japanese diplomatic passport is gold with red lettering. The most unique passport I have ever seen, belonged to the country of South Korea. They used a green and black plaid passport, which was very striking in color. However, they recently switched to dark, solid "forest" green color that is machine readable. You're probably wondering who sets the standards for passport colors? This is done through a joint-cooperative effort between the United Nations and the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO). Incidentally, U.N. Diplomats have a very nice "U.N. Sky Blue" color for their passports. This is very similar to the shade of blue used by the Great Northern Railway, here in the United States. Yours truly, Ron