about penang bridge at pulau pinang

Penang Bridge - build in 1985
longest in asia and 5th in the world.
Malaysia
October 31, 2007 6:37pm CST
Penang Bridge is the longest bridge in asia and 5th in the world. it was officially opened by our visionary prime minister, Dato' Mahathir in 1985. the penang Bridge coasts Rm800 million and took 5 years to build. before the bridge was build, people depened upon ferry services to cross the penang straits. it is 13.5km long bridge streatching from seberang perai on the mailnland to gelugor on island, this is the one of many architectural wonder in Penang and was officially opened in september 1988, offering a beautiful view of the open sea, ships and sprawling coastline. Info:- Structurel Type: Cable-stayed bridge Function: Road bridge Location: Georgetown, Pulau pinang ( Malaysia) Built:1985
1 person likes this
2 responses
@lexus54 (3572)
• Singapore
1 Nov 07
Penang Bridge from the air - Shot of the Penang Bridge as the plane I was on made a southern turn after its takeoff from Penang International Airport.
Hello srizain, I see that this is your first post here, so you must be new to myLot. I would like to welcome you, and hope you enjoy the sharing with others here. Having been to Penang several times, and also driven on Penang Bridge myself, I must agree that this bridge is architecturally quite beautiful and captivating. On my last visit to Penang in June this year, I happened to take a photograph of the bridge with its long span from the MAS aircraft I took as it was ascending after takeoff. I am attaching the photo here, so you can appreciate what I saw of the magnificent bridge from the air.
@goodsign (2287)
• Malaysia
31 Oct 07
As Malaysian I am proud of it and in 1987 I stayed at Taman Siakap, Seberang Perai for 2 years. As a regular commuter at that particular time I am very happy because I am no longer have to wait for ferry service to take me to Penang Island from the mainland(Butterworth). In that year the bridge's toll ticket only costs me for MYR3.20(1987) and now for MYR7.50(2007). Proud to say that I am happily waiting for the next 2nd. Penang Bridge to be completed where currently the construction is in progress. Thanks for sharing this remarkable landmark.