Tounge Peircings and Braces, Do They Mix?

United States
January 29, 2008 6:21pm CST
I don't have a tongue piercing myself and the reason for that is that I don't wish to cause damage to my teeth. Another mouth beautification device that I will be getting is a set of invisiline braces. This got me to thinking, since invisiline braces work a bit like a mouth guard, would they make it safer to have a tongue piercing? What are the chances of damaging your teeth with a tongue ring without braces at all? Are the chances increased with old fashioned metal braces? Do mouth piercings and braces mix at all? What are some horror stories or myths you like to share about mouth piercings?
1 person likes this
1 response
@sedel1027 (17846)
• Cupertino, California
30 Jan 08
I have my tongue pierced and had my tongue pierced with braces. I had traditional braces because I refused to spend double the price for invisiline that would take longer to work, if they even worked properly at all. I had ceramic on the top and metal on the bottom. My Orthodonist wasn't too worried about me hurting my teeth because I only wear plastic tongue rings. The metals ones do all the damage. I did get quite a few lecture about the top and floor of my mouth because eventually tongue rings can bore a hole in both or one.
2 people like this
• United States
30 Jan 08
I've heard so many rumors about tongue piercings! I've heard that if you bite down on the plastic ones you can break them, causing shards to go down your throat. I've also seen for sale ones made of a more flexible plastic to prevent that sort of thing. Sadly, my mouth is of an irregular size that causes it to breed tarter quicker then most. My dentist recommended that I get invisiline because they can be removed for brushing and flossing. He was worried that regular metal braces would be too hard to keep clean even with my fanatic brushing and flossing. Despite the myths, tongue piercings still interest me.
1 person likes this
@sedel1027 (17846)
• Cupertino, California
30 Jan 08
You may want to get an opinion from a few different Orthodontist regarding invisiline. Depending on why you need your braces your success rate may not be that great with the invisiline. I was in my early twenties before I got braces and the invisiline was an option, but not the best one for me. Plus you can get your teeth cleaned with the braces on. You just go in have the wries removed and the techs can clean your teeth. If you get that done every 6 months you should be okay (you are suppose to get your teeth cleaned still while wearing braces). Plus on your monthly visits they remove and replace wires so that you can brush and floss without the wire causing problems.
2 people like this
• United States
30 Jan 08
I have spoken with a few different dentists and they have told me they think that invisiline braces are the best option due to my problem with tartar and plaque. I don't get regular cleanings, but deep cleanings where they scrape the root down in my gums. It's called a "root planning" or "Scaling". Having brackets affixed to my teeth would make this procedure difficult and even more painful for me.
1 person likes this