Married and living apart. strange situation

United States
February 21, 2008 9:32am CST
I'm in a weird situation, so my husband and I have to live apart for a while. It isn't any sort of break up, it's just we need to be in different places to do what we need to do in our lives right now. I'm finishing my last semester at college, but because of his job he has had to move to California. So now I'm married but not living with my husband. Many of my friends are confused by this so I have started telling everyone "We just didn't want to rush into living together, just get used to being married first." I think they're still confused, but they always laugh at that and stop pestering me about it. Is my situation really so strange? Have any of you had to live apart from your husband? How did you handle it?
4 people like this
9 responses
@Gesusdid (1676)
• United States
22 Feb 08
well i dont see why you two got married in the first place , if the both of you knew that you were going to seperate and live alone from each ohter ..so what happend first did the husband have to move to the job or school ? ..but before all that anyway id say you should have gotten your degree first or finish up the semester ..did you guys live with each other at first like an apparment
• United States
25 Feb 08
We got married because he was supposed to be able to stay here with me, but then he had to move because of his job (military), and I am so close to finishing that transferring wasn't an option. We've lived together for 8 months before that happened.
@Gesusdid (1676)
• United States
26 Feb 08
oh ok , hes in the forces i didnt know that well this is a commone situation
@Gesusdid (1676)
• United States
26 Feb 08
so he's in the Army , so this a common situation , id say do you finish school first, well at least the semister , this will be a big step of trust for the both of you , just keep in contact with him, and vist whenever he can , just dont drop everything for him keep your studies going fourth
@ledouxs (64)
• Canada
22 Feb 08
Sorry but I think it's a little strange. Not to put things in your head but everyone I knew that lived like that for whatever reason one of the partners were carrying two lives which means two wives or girlfriends. I personally think you should have finished your schooling before you guys got married so you didn't end up in a bad situation if that were to come about. If you trust him thats great but don't be too naive and just keep a close mind of what may or may not be going on. Now from what I hve said don't jump down his throat and accuse him of living a dbl life cause I don't know just be prepared thats all
• United States
25 Feb 08
I've heard of that happening before, but even after your comment, I'm confident he's not cheating on me. I trust him, and on top of that, he's terrible at hiding things or lying.
@subha12 (18441)
• India
22 Feb 08
I think its not so abnormal. atleast in my country i have seen this. May be the bride is completeing her study while her husband is in different city for job. I think you should let your friends know that you will move with him after you finish your course. believe me its not so strange.
@youdontsay (3497)
• United States
22 Feb 08
I wouldn't think that your situation is so strange. There are many long-distance relationships in which partners live apart for long periods of time. Yours is for a brief time. Look at all the couples separated by military duty. Frankly, it isn't anyone's business but your own as to why you are living apart. It is a challenge to keep close ties when apart. But you can do it. My best wishes to you.
@yannycui (376)
• China
26 Feb 08
Is it weird? I don't think so.Some of my friends have to live apart with their spouses due to job stuff. And it is very common in China for couple live apart because they can't transfer the job to the same city. They ususally get together once a month or go on a vacation in a year. Although living together is good, living apart is not a bad thing.You can have lots of private time ,have your own habits,hang out with your girlfriends. Enjoy your life.
@eleache (83)
• United States
25 Feb 08
Im not married but might as well be but our relationship has become sortof rocky, and he is going to move back out to Arlington/Ft.Worth and I am staying here in Dallas, to try and make our relationship work better and so that he can get done what he needs to do to get work.....and I am still trying to find a job, it has been hard, especially since I have a 9 month old baby.
• United Arab Emirates
22 Feb 08
Hi dear, I do not think that it is strange because you he has moved due to his job requirement. Sometimes in life, husband and wife, stay separate in different countries for many reasons. It can be because of husband's job, or child's education. But, then ultimately they stay together when they find an alternative. At present I am also away from my husband for my son's education. But, it is only time being. So, there is nothing strange. It is really practical. We do not have to explain the situation to each and every body. For friends, once they know the reason, they won't bother you further with the same question again and again. So, don't worry. A little separation is always good to keep the marriage exciting. Take care..
@ellie333 (21016)
22 Feb 08
Many husbands and wives have to live apart from each other because of their work, look at the ones that are in the Armed Forces, sometimes they don't even know when the other spouse will be home, guys who work on oil rigs etc. With your marriage once you have finished your last semester you will be able to live together again. Good luck with your exams and in answer to your question, no I don't think it strange and people that do have no right to judge, if it works for you great. Ellie :D
@ruthinian (2309)
• United States
22 Feb 08
It's tough. I met my hubby online. And we were in a long distance relationship for just one year. We always cry everytime we talk online because we miss each others' presence. He petitioned me to be here and now that we are together, I am more happy even if we don't talk a lot unlike when we still apart... just knowing that he is beside me "snoring" makes the difference. It's not a strange situation though. I know a lot of couple living apart due to work. Sacrifices are part of any relationship. Sometimes it makes it more strong.