why is a ship called 'she'

A ship!!! - View of a ship sailing in deep sea!!
@amirev777 (4117)
India
March 7, 2008 12:44pm CST
Hi! i was always wondering why a ship is addressed as 'she' and not 'he' ot 'it'-whats the reason behind this feminine gender to be attributed to a ship?
2 people like this
3 responses
@ratyz5 (7808)
• Philippines
8 Mar 08
serena_wai's response with personifications on the boat is really convincing ^_^ Anyway, they say the the captain of the ship or boat is unseperable to the vessel. That's why during the old days, no women were allowed to board any ship since it was believed that the boat, being referred as a female would be jealous, and would venture into a unpleasant trip. For a man to be at sea for a long period of time, they surely talk to their ships quite often and refer to them as females.
2 people like this
@amirev777 (4117)
• India
13 Mar 08
Hi! yeah serena was really very descriptive and impressive in her personification-but another one thing that i can remember is that my gurl is also very jeolous of "her'-i mean the ship-coz i spend more time wid the ship then her.
2 people like this
@ratyz5 (7808)
• Philippines
16 Mar 08
Now it would be weird for a male captain to refer to his own ship as a "he" now wouldn't it?
• Malaysia
7 Mar 08
A ship is called a "she" because..... 1. There is always a great deal of bustle around her 2. there is usually a gang of men about 3. She has a waist and stays 4. It takes a lot of paint to keep her good looking 5. She shows her topsides and hides her bottom 6. She can be all decked out 7. It takes an experienced man to handle her correctly 8. And without a man at the helm, she is absolutely un- controllable. And the main reason....It's not the initial expense that breaks you, It's the upkeep!!!
2 people like this
@amirev777 (4117)
• India
13 Mar 08
Hi! thats a really terrific reply that u have given-the best i have ever read-u really have a very good knowledge bout ship and its operation-but for me a ship is 'she' coz i m very happy when i climb on it for first time-but as days progress-i just want 2 go as far away frm her as possible and not come back.
1 person likes this
@unuzzz (1273)
• Indonesia
8 Mar 08
hi amirev777 hmm, your topic is interesting LOL maybe most of the sailor is men and by putting the word he, it might sound a little gay ? hahaa LOL this is the same as men treat the cars as girls hahaa thanks.. ^^
1 person likes this