Writing practice exercise: Describe a sunset and make it real for us

United States
April 14, 2008 6:00am CST
One of the things that I used to do when I was younger was to write down what I saw... I tried to paint what I saw with words. I recommend this exercise for all those who want to write as it improves creativity and writing skills. So have fun... Enjoy yourself. Let it flow. There is no right or wrong answer. Avoid over-editing. This is, remember for practice only... Describe a sunset and make it so that I and the others who come here can see it, feel it, hear it, and know it as you do or as a character you create does. Write down what happens during the sunset, where the sun is setting, over what, and who is seeing it. Write down your thoughts and feelings about it and/or the thoughts and feelings of the viewer. Use active verbs, and strong adjectives to make this sunset real.
1 person likes this
3 responses
@zamalia2 (115)
• Philippines
25 May 08
I was standing in the middle of a beach where I could see the most beautiful sunset I have ever laid eyes on. I was bathe with its orange glow and as I close my eyes, I feel the warmth enveloping me as the wind caresses my skin. As I deeply inhaled, I felt like something was coming out of me as if the sun was absorbing all the heavy feelings in my heart. I just stand there, eyes closed, and feel the moment until the sun sets and the warm feeling fades. Then, I opened my eyes and felt anew.
1 person likes this
• United States
27 May 08
Thanks for posting this... I appreciate your effort to contstruct a beautiful someset... I felt it and saw it. Good job!
• United States
27 May 08
oops ... meant to type sunset but the fingers typed something else.
@zamalia2 (115)
• Philippines
27 May 08
Thank you. I would really like to improve in writing. I'm currently writing story right now. What advice can you give me? Thanks again.
@kiran1978 (4134)
• Australia
25 May 08
On a magnificent summers day I was sitting quietly by myself on the cliff top. Whilst I was sitting there peacefully I could see the beautiful sun glistening in the sky. The sunset was as colourful as a rainbow lorekeet. It looked so magical, that I was absolutely mesmorized by it. I could hear the waves crashing below, and feel the wind blowing gently behind me, giving me goosebumps. I could smell the fresh sweet air. I was simply in heaven a day I want to last forever!
• United States
27 May 08
I like your use of the rainbow lorekeet... Thanks for sharing your sunset here.
@Ailina (180)
• United States
16 Apr 08
I grew up in Hawaii and saw many sunsets. I felt an overwhelming sence of calm, repreive and a conclusion to the day. It is a marker for what has been and what will come for towmorrow. In the eve of darkness there is light of extraordinary colors. Yellow, orange, purple and reds. There is a warmth and cool that touches your skin and soul at the same time.
• United States
16 Apr 08
It sounds beautiful... the "warmth and cool that touches your skin and soul at the same time." That is poetry.