How to make my daughter's hair grow faster?

Singapore
April 15, 2008 12:13am CST
My baby daughter's hair is growing very slowly, slower than a snail's pace. Her hair is also very wispy. While other girls her age could tie up their hair in a ponytail, her hair has not grown up to her eyebrows yet. What can I do to make her hair grow thicker and longer faster?
3 people like this
13 responses
@ayessa (1583)
• Philippines
15 Apr 08
That is also my problem with my baby's hair. I've tried putting aloe vera extract on her scalp although it helps her grow some hair but still its thin and growing slow. I also got an advice to put a virgin coconut oil on her scalp but I haven't tried it. Another is they told me to use a shampoo that horses used. LOL I wouldn;t like to try this some says its effective.
• Singapore
15 Apr 08
Shampoo for horses? I don't think I will try that. Don't know what toxic ingredients are in the shampoo! Anyway, will try the aloe extract and virgin coconut oil thingy. Thanks for sharing!
• United States
2 Jun 09
The shampoo is called "Mane and Tail" and it doesn't feel any different than shampooing with regular shampoo. My mom used it on me all the time when I was a little girl. It doesn't hurt your hair at all. As a little girl my hair was super long and really thick. I have not used it in years and my hair is thinner now, but still really thick.
• Canada
29 Oct 09
Hi, will the shampoo work for black kids, cause am really, really willing to try it
• United States
14 Aug 09
My daughter had/has the same problem. She is now 8 years old, her hair has not grown hardly at all in the last 6 years. A couple of people including my Dermatologist suggested that she have her iron checked. He said that if she is anemic, that the hair will grow, but will continue to break, which seems like it is not growing at all. I had her tested, she was mildly anemic and we fixed that. I read a medical article that your body needs Silicon, so a few months back I went to the herb store, talked to them and got some Silica. It is actually working some. I talked to my doctor, and the dosage for her (8 yr. 52 lbs) is 1 capsule 3 times a day. The only problem is I can't really do it 3 times a day since she is in school. So I definitely do the mornings, and try to remember the evenings. I am going to the doctor again tomorrow, there has to be a medical reason. My sister who is a Nurse Pract. suggested seeing a Pediatric Endocrinologist. I need a referral from my doctor to get in though. I guess that they run a series of tests to see if there are any medical conditions.
• United States
17 Oct 09
My daughter is 4 now and she still has little hair. Everyone always tells me it will grow in time but she is getting much older now so I wonder too if maybe it is something medical. As for the 14 month old though I wouldn't worry about that. I know there are a lot of kids whose hair just doesn't start growing until they are older. Plenty even into the 3 year old range. Good luck!
• United States
5 Mar 10
This sounds like Short Anagen Syndrome, or, if it comes out easily, Loose Anagen Syndrome. These are hair disorders. See a pediatric dermatologist. There is a facebook group for SAS with pictures of children affected. Minoxidil treatments (topical) may help.
• United States
15 Apr 08
I don't know if there is anything that would work. I would love to know of something to make hair longer and thicker, I would use it on myself. If you find anything, please share!
• Singapore
15 Apr 08
Let's see if there's any suggestions by other Mylotters.
11 Nov 08
My Little girl is three and 9 months, she hardly has any hair,its very fine, sandy colour. It is very slow at growing,When she was three,I started taking more concern about it,like us mams do,espcially when her hat blew off one day when getting off the bus,and little boy shouted she's lost her hair as well as her hat! ive tried hair thickening advised by a friend.Alot say it will grow in its own time, and will grow in more thicker.
@Swaana (1205)
• India
15 Apr 08
Hi, If you get good quality coconut oil, then heat it slightly and massage it on the head. Make sure that the oil touches the scalp. Do this oil massage atleast every alternate day. On other days just apply oil on her head. But at the same time take little oil both for oil massage and daily application. Other wise the face will get more oily look. If you get curry leaves in your area, grind them into a fine paste and apply it on her hair and leave it for a few mins and wash it thoroughly, you could do this once in a week. The curry leaves can also be eaten raw. Wash it and ask her to eat a few leaves raw. This will also help a lot.
• Singapore
15 Apr 08
Thank you for your suggestion. I will try get some coconut oil and curry leaves. But I don't think my daughter can chew it yet. She's just 15 months...
@Swaana (1205)
• India
15 Apr 08
If she cant chew it, forget that part. But still you could grind it and apply it on her hair. This will give you the desired result.
@bombshell (11256)
• Germany
29 Aug 08
always shower and cut a bit of hairĀ“i mean always cut the toty end only a bit. her and it will grow fast just like my daughters hair.
• Singapore
29 Aug 08
Thanks for the tip. My mum also told me to do that. I hope it works!
@bombshell (11256)
• Germany
29 Aug 08
yes it will work i am sure of that.
• United States
20 Aug 12
i heard massaging cayenne pepper into the scalp will stimulate the hair growth greatly..
@nishdan01 (3051)
• Singapore
3 Jun 09
My baby boy has less hair. He is 4 months old. I Have tried the coconut oil stuff and his hair has not grown thick. I would shave his head once to see uniform and thick hair growth.
@britt_200 (1226)
• United States
2 Jun 09
id say stimulate her scalp...just rub and scratch her scalp...that stimulates the follicals to grow
@busky5 (3164)
• Thailand
23 Jul 09
I believe if your daughter wash her hair everyday.It will effect to her hair and make her hair grow faster.Another rule if she eat the seaweeds.They will help her hair grow fast too.
• United States
6 Jan 10
I was just curious if your daughters hair has gotten any better since you posted. My daughter is 4 and has VERY thin hair and wont grow past the base of her neck. She has been tested and everything comes back normal. Her doctor asures me that it will grown in eventually. I just want it to be normal now not later.
• India
11 Jul 10
Well this discussion is three years old, your daughter must have grown up to a cute girl with lot of hair on her head, tell me how she looks now.. Thanks for sharing. Welcome always. Cheers. Professor
• United States
20 Oct 10
My 10 mnth old daughter (african american) has very thick curly pretty hair and I'm considering using "just for me oil moisturizing lotion !my only problem is her hair is growin but its growin in the baby mohawk still! What can I do 2 make her edges and the back of her hair grow?
• United States
14 Mar 11
My daughter has the same problem but not nearly as bad.. She is 6 mo. old and has about the same amount of hair as when she was born..I'm just going to let nature do its thing though. But I would just love to do her hair all pretty!