Dean Koontz...Odd Hours

@cortjo73 (6498)
United States
May 27, 2008 12:31pm CST
I finished Dean Koontz's newest book this weekend, from the Odd Thomas series, released May 20th, Odd Hours. It was nothing short of outstanding and I can't wait until Odd's next adventure! But, what I am really looking forward to is the possibility that Dean Koontz is weaving the lives of my two favorite Dean Koontz characters together. I think he is working towards a pairing of Odd Thomas with Christopher Snow and, if he does...it will be magnificent! It will be epic and spellbinding and, he will surpass all expectations I have for him. I already crave stories from those two characters more than I know how to deal with! I can't even begin to imagine how explosive, breathtaking, edge-of-my seat fun a story with both Odd Thomas and Christopher Snow will be! The reason that I think Dean Koontz is leaning towards a story with the two of them is because he made a quiet and nearly unnoticeable reference to two specific pieces of Christopher Snow's puzzle, in Odd Hours. Christopher Snow's mother headed a risky experiment at Fort Wyvern and the results have been dangerous and something that Christopher has had to deal with in order to protect humanity. Odd Thomas has a "Wyvern" sweatshirt which he speaks about a few times in Odd Hours. And, Christopher Snow has a baseball cap with the words "Mystery Train" on it. It has something to do with the mess his mother accidentally unleashed and it is always something he calls attention to throughout his stories. Now, Odd Thomas has a shirt with those words on it that he talks about in Odd Hours. I love everything Dean Koontz does and have read many of his books with many more to enjoy long into my future. But, I have never noticed any parallels in his books to other characters in other books. Perhaps I simply didn't remember them if they did show up. I nearly missed the references to Wyvern and the Mystery Train from Christopher Snow's world inside Odd Thomas' world in Odd Hours. And, it took the reference to Wyvern after he mentioned the Mystery Train to realized what I nearly let slip past me. I was confused by how Odd talked about the Mystery Train because I didn't connect the dots right away that it isn't a part of his character. So, perhaps the same has happened in other books by Dean Koontz. Anyway, I hope that Dean does weave their lives together! It would make sense and be so perfect! I currently don't have a favorite book ever! But, if Dean Koontz puts Odd and Christopher together...I know that that book will finally be something I can label as my favorite book ever! Has anyone else read Odd Hours yet? I know it is pretty fresh on the book shelves so, you may not have had a chance to pick it up yet. It is, after all, only a week old. Has anyone else been as big a fan of the Odd Thomas series? Has anyone else read the 2 books in the Christopher Snow series? The last of the Christopher Snow series was written in 1998 and Dean Koontz has been slowly writing the third in the series titled Ride the Storm, for the past decade. If you are a Dean Koontz fan and haven't read anything from either of those series, I highly recommend that you go out and grab them. You can google Dean Koontz and Odd Thomas and Christopher Snow and find the titles of the books in those series. I couldn't recommend them anymore if I tried as there are no words to describe the fun you will have reading them!
1 person likes this
6 responses
• Regina, Saskatchewan
28 May 08
I did a search Cortjo and found the Christopher Snow books. I just haven't been anywhere I can pick one up, but they are on the top of my list. After reading what you read here about Odd Thomas, I'm even willing to give him another go as I didn't really like the first book about. And Dean Koontz is one of my fav authors. So well done, well posted and I am now a twobe fan! LOL
1 person likes this
• Regina, Saskatchewan
28 May 08
Trust me lady, if I'm disappointed you'll be the FIRST to know! ROFL
1 person likes this
@cortjo73 (6498)
• United States
28 May 08
I think you will love them all! I hope you do! LOL! The Christopher Snow series has heart and terror all dripping with mystery and fun. I normally don't read books more than once but, I loved the Christopher Snow series so much that I would consider reading them a second time...that is how much I love those stories. And, Odd Thomas is always so fun to read too. The anticipation for the potential of putting Odd and Christopher together is thrilling! I really hope Dean Koontz goes in that direction! And, Thank you for the compliment! I hope my hype lives up to your expectations! Let me know what you think when you get your hands on the Christopher Snow series and, if you end up liking Odd Thomas after all!
1 person likes this
• Regina, Saskatchewan
17 Jun 08
Thanks for br. - this is becoming a habit with us! ROFL
1 person likes this
@cukal6 (146)
• United States
27 May 08
I didn't know he had a new one out!!!!! I'm calling the library right now to see if they have it. I'm with you, I am a big fan of Odd Thomas and Christopher Snow. Is he really getting them together? Can't wait!!!
1 person likes this
@cortjo73 (6498)
• United States
27 May 08
He sure does! It was released on the 20th (1 week ago today). I ran right out that afternoon, during my lunch break, and got it and, once I was finished with another book I was reading, I started on that one and finished it in a few days. It was great! I would have finished it sooner had it not been for the holiday weekend putting a damper on my reading time! LOL! As far as whether Dean Koontz is really going to weave Odd and Christopher together, I don't know. I hope so, and, given what he put in Odd Hours, it certainly leaves it open for the possibility. I think that is where he is headed but, I don't know. I can't find anything, anywhere, that suggests that that is what he is doing or that verifies it. I am considering writing him to ask him but, I doubt he would tell me if that was his plan! LOL! I can only hope so! And, it is cool to meet another fan of, not only Dean Koontz, but of the Odd Thomas and Christopher Snow series. They are my absolute two favorite characters!
@cortjo73 (6498)
• United States
27 May 08
Oh...and if you go here: http://www.xmission.com/~emailbox/koontz/koontz.htm You can find out what I read about Christopher Snow's Ride the Storm, from what Dean Koontz said about it. Everything he has is on that site and, everything he plans on doing for the next little while is on there too.
@cukal6 (146)
• United States
27 May 08
I just called my mom to let her know about the new book. She is a HUGE Dean Koontz fan. She is going to the store this afternoon to pick it up. Thanks!
1 person likes this
@Polly1 (12645)
• United States
27 Aug 08
I see that you are a fan of Dean Koontz, I am too. Although since I am on the computer so much I don't read that often anymore. One of the best books I ever read was from Koontz. he title is "The Watchers" if you have never read that I highly recommend reading it. Its an older book, I am sure it would be easy to find at the library. I hope you are feeling better.
1 person likes this
@cortjo73 (6498)
• United States
27 Aug 08
I am a huge fan of his! And, you are not the first person to mention "The Watchers". I might have to pick that one up someday. Thank you for the suggestion. And, I am having an ok moment right not but, my nerves keep getting the better of me! LOL! Thank you again for your kind words of encouragement and for your care and concern!
• United States
26 Aug 08
I just finishe Odd Hours a few hours ago. It has been so long and so many other books in between that I didn't even catch those things. I mean, I remembered reading about the Mystery Train before, but for some reason just thought it had been with Odd before! As soon as I read your post, I was "Ohhhhhhh, that's right! That was Christopher Snow!" That would be very interesting, to combine the two characters. I really didn't like the last two Odd books as well as the first two, but I loved the Christopher Snow books. This last one just really seemed like it didn't have enough interaction to it. Maybe it's just me! Combing the characters would certainly fix that problem! I would like to see the characters back from 'Watchers'. That was the first Koontz I read and will always be my favorite!
1 person likes this
@cortjo73 (6498)
• United States
27 Aug 08
I am glad I was helpful in pointing those out for you! LOL! I haven't read the Watchers. I have a couple of Dean Koontz books in my shelf waiting to be read along with some more from other authors. LOL! It seems never ending for me right now. And, I think I agree that this last one wasn't as great. It was still good but, yea...I love the interaction and, there was less of that in this one. Epic is about the only word I could use to describe what it would be like if he had Odd and Christopher work together!
@littleone3 (2063)
27 May 08
I knew he had a new book coming out in the Odd series but wasn't sure when. I will have to get it as soon as i can as i really enjoyed reading the other books in the series. I don't think i have read the Christopher Snow series so will have to look out for them ones as well as i am a big fan of Dean Koontz.
1 person likes this
@cortjo73 (6498)
• United States
27 May 08
I found out when Odd Hours would be out about 8 months ago and I waited patiently. Actually, I had an idea of roughly when it would be out but, only found out for sure when about 2 months ago and, I went right out to get it that day! LOL! I can't get enough of Odd Thomas! And, the same goes for Christopher Snow. But, he hasn't done anything new with Christopher Snow since 1998. Fortunately, I have not had to wait as long for something new from Christopher Snow since I really only read his series starting about 2 years or less ago. I read the 2nd book in his 2 book series about 6 or more months ago. And, while I know that Dean Koontz has been slowly working on the 3rd in Christopher's series over the past decade, he only knows that it will be finished some day but, he doesn't know when. But, I highly recommend everything in both the Odd Thomas and the Christopher Snow series. Enjoy them and let me know what you think of Odd Hours!
@JDoony (1)
• United States
4 Feb 09
I just now decided to read the Chris Snow books... I am a big Koontz fan, may fave prob being False Memory, but these have really sucked me in deep!! I love them, and am halfway through Seize the Night, so I started looking around to see if there are any more Chris Snow books, but its like there's no definitive info on that... I'm not sure how I'd feel, though, if Koontz coupled Odd and Chris... For one thing, the two almost seem like much the same character......... OBVIOUSLY there are many differences, I guess its just the way they think and their sense of humor, so now that I think about it, I guess it could be a fun time, huh? haha I havent read Odd Hours yet, but have read all of the previous ones, and really liked them, yet I dont think I liked them as much as these Chris Snow books, these are GREAT reads... Anyway, one last thing... Odd writes his own stories, and Chris writes his own, so who writes the story if they are both in it, or is it a joint effort?