hinduism is not religion but ways of life

Malaysia
August 8, 2008 11:11pm CST
hinduism is not a religion but ways of life .. i read an article where no one can convert to hinduism they are born a hindu and the others are belivers any person who are not hindu can still practice the hindu ways of life .. just adopt the good ones ok not the caste system and burning widdow with the dead husband
1 person likes this
5 responses
@lazeebee (5461)
• Malaysia
11 Aug 08
Hi Sanjana, I don't know much about Hinduism, but you started your discussion with an interesting statement '......but ways of life'. I understand that Buddhism is that - not a religion but a way of life! Although I'm a Christian, I'm curious about others' beliefs. And I listen to the teachings of Buddha - it's more about the ways of living and life!
• Malaysia
11 Aug 08
I do not know much about religion, but there is some difference in the contents of "bible" & " quran" with the hinduism related documents i do not want to offend anyone but only to share my oppinion : i have run through both bible & quran but not memorize them, although the documents stress on good deeds there is some catchy information like "we can only obtain goodness if we are in that religion" Does that mean a person with no religious conciousness but does a lot of good deeds will not be given plus point ??
• India
9 Aug 08
The idea of "Hinduism" as a "religion" is a fairly recent one. The set of beliefs and practices, the philosophy, and the spirituality of India was not given any name before that. The word "Hindu" comes from "Sindhu" - a term given by Alexander to refer to the people living beyond Sindhu. So, Hinduism is not a religion. It became a religion, maybe to differentiate itself from the middle eastern religions. Otherwise, it is just a philosophy, a set of beliefs and practices, and a handful of gods. Of course, you can never organize Hinduism the way Islam or Christianity is organized. So, there is nothing called conversion. To become a Hindu, you simple follow any of the thousands of Hindu sacred texts, gurus, and philosophies available, including the charvaka philosophy. That's what I love about this "religion." It is so tolerate and so civilized -- maybe one of the few civilized religions in this world. Cheers and happy mylotting
• India
12 Aug 08
Thank you so much for the best response. :)
• India
9 Aug 08
well, sanjana, I think.. other than your comments on the subject,. you have started it off just to attract more comments and posts to your topic. But, I would have to put in my comments to the sentences you have put down here. Any belief would not be considered a RELIGION.. if you put to practice the best suggestions that would suit the situation and social conditions you are in. And, Hinduism or any such -ism, or religion would not be different. If you are a BLIND believer, and without thinking the consequences and adaptability... follow the rules, like smearing vermillion on your forehead, .. without considering the medical values.. it is mere waste. So, your sentence that this is a WAY OF LIFE.. would apply to any religion. not just hinduism. As long as you apply it to your social conditions and environment. Thankyou
@Harley009 (1416)
• India
12 Aug 08
in my view, it is like a religion, but don't have any religious bounds which can be equated to the modern cultural christianity as well. Hindus normally just don't care of the teachings but they used to maintain the cultural aspects and doings they received from their parents or their society and it widely vary from area to areas. So I would say Hinduism is a Cultural practice, not a way of life, Just a way of cultural adherence. But still there exists remainders of religion in it, Gods and awatars, even though the Gods vary from place to place and a number of Gods and it is as per cultural practice as well. If it is a way of life there should be many things that define how this to be done and what should be done etc. I'm a Muslim, Islam is not just a religion but it is a way of life and guidance to the whole life. It explain different areas of our life and give guidance, how to do , what to be done and what not to do. It is not just the thing to be done in Mosques. Cheers Peace.
• India
9 Aug 08
According to me, all the religions are being created by the human beings based on the locality, culture they followed, tradition of ancestors to just live their life in this world but I don't really believe in a religion.. Not at all, in any of the religion, sorry to say, its my own feelings