Do you listen to music while you sleep?

India
November 18, 2008 12:14am CST
Do you listen to music while you sleep? Does it ever affect your dreams? One time I was listening to a song about the end of the world while I was sleeping and I had a short dream about the end of the world and there were dead bodies in the river and angels and demons everywhere and stuff. And one time I made a death metal play list and listened to that while I slept and I had a dream that my classmates turned in werewolves and devoured my soul. Now I listen to classical while I sleep to avoid nightmares.
10 people like this
40 responses
@lazeebee (5461)
• Malaysia
18 Nov 08
I used to listen to Kenny G music to sleep - those days I was having insomnia. It was soothing music, and sometimes it lull me to sleep. Nowadays I don't listen to music per se, but I have the TV on (with the timer set), and just sleep with the background noises.
2 people like this
• India
18 Nov 08
Yes, I used to go to bed with my Mobile only, i used to switch on the FM and put my headphone on my hear and start hearing the songs. Naturally, in the night times, in the calm atmosphire, the melodious songs played by most of the FM channels are really very admired to hear.. And also i used to change all the FM stations frequently, and change the songs once the song completed in the one stations. I will hear the same till i went to sleep, in some of the days, i will switched off the same in the midnight, when i walk up, after my 2 hours of sleep too.. Hearing the music in the night/calm times in our bed is very intersting one, and also this will not be explain in the words.. Have a good day.
2 people like this
@cortney09 (1345)
• United States
19 Nov 08
I can't listen to music while I sleep. I can fall asleep to it, if it's not to loud. I can't stay asleep when there is music on. I used to be able to, but not anymore. I don't know why though.
1 person likes this
@bing28 (3795)
• Philippines
19 Nov 08
yes sometimes it's nice sleeping while listening to music but should be sweet music or balads provided with beautiful lyrics and must be the tune is just like a whispher to your ears. Just like saying lullabyes turned babies to sleep...
@jlamela (4898)
• Philippines
19 Nov 08
Yes, I do listen to music while going to sleep, music gives me peace of mind and a very sound sleep. I listen to FM station who plays mellow music and ballad, so while drifting to sleep the music plays in the background giving me a more relaxed environment. Now that christmas season is around the corner, I have to wake up at 4:00am to change the FM dial which play christmas song. Music gives me relief from busy schedule, so when I return home and about to sleep, I habitually turn on my FM radio to listen to music. I noticed that I have a good sleep when I listen to music and I easily drifted to sleep. No, I don't have nightmares when listening to music but I experienced also that whatever last music I listened before sleeping sometimes influenced my dreams.
@jambi462 (4576)
• United States
18 Nov 08
I do listen to music when I sleep. Sometimes I don't even dream when I listen to music while sleeping though. I am a fan of metal and I enjoy dreams that are on the scary side and would love to have dreams like you had. They interest me more then normal dreams do for some reason.
1 person likes this
18 Nov 08
ya,it is necessary 4 me to listen music,many kinda music i listen while go to sleep, i smooth and soft music is good choice!!
1 person likes this
@smiley83 (1534)
• Malaysia
19 Nov 08
hey, well i do listen to music..but, i never listen to deadly songs like the one you did..gosh, it is scary though! Smiley,
1 person likes this
@jackiew (915)
• Canada
19 Nov 08
No, I don't listen to music while i sleep.I have to sleep in complete darkness and complete silence. happy mylotting
1 person likes this
@cfmedrano (240)
• Philippines
19 Nov 08
I think the type of music really affects your dreams because although you are sleeping, the song and lyrics are still being heard by your ears and being processed by your brain. So if you listen to rock music with morbid lyrics, I think it is then interpreted in your dreams. It's nice to listen to music while sleeping especially mellow ones so that you will have a lovely dream....
1 person likes this
• United States
19 Nov 08
I used to listen to music while I slept, and though it never actually affected my dream state, it did affect my waking state. I would wake up and think there was someone in my room and totally freak out. I remember a song from a soundtrack that had whispering on it and I was terrified that there were two people in my room speaking to each other, trying not to wake me up. I then realized what was going on and turned off the stereo pronto, but had an extremely difficult time going back to sleep. Now I can't listen to music as I sleep, because I follow any piece of music I've memorized to the point where I can't bring myself to sleep because I'm too focused on following each note. It's very annoying, so I just don't listen to music while I'm trying to sleep since I've got enough problems with sleep. :)
1 person likes this
@dozhou (326)
• United States
19 Nov 08
You can do so, but I don't think it is a good way. To you, it may mean a dream, but what about your partner: your wife or husband. He or she will have a different feeling. You must get some hints from others, since originally, you don't need that to fall asleep in your childhood. Anyway, it is your own business. It is ok if it does not disturb others.
1 person likes this
@tklich (391)
• United States
19 Nov 08
I don't listen to music while I sleep anymore, but used to all the time when I was younger, probably from the time I was 10 or 12 until I was 16 or so. I don't remember ever having dreams that were related to the song that was playing, but I never listened to songs that were disturbing, I always listened to either country or modern pop/rock. Now, if anything, I fall asleep with the TV on. I prefer this now because if I have trouble sleeping, then I just watch whatever is on the TV when I wake up, lol.
1 person likes this
• India
19 Nov 08
well it depends on the situations wid me ,like if i m very tired i would just switch on ma ipod and lie down this relaxes me nd releases all the stress .if i m tired i love slow music nd if i too stressed out or may be in a bad mood sometimes then i prefer some really fast noisy nd loud music nd while sleeping some times i even use a software which produces some kinda natural musical sounds like birds singing ,flowing water as if u r on a beach nd it completely relaxex ma brain nd gives me a nice sleep. Ron
1 person likes this
• China
19 Nov 08
I donnot listen to music while my sleep.Because i am a student and i live in dormitory.The most major is listen to music use earphones hurtfuf to my ears.So i usually donnot listen to music.
1 person likes this
@babystar1 (4233)
• United States
18 Nov 08
The only music I listen when I go to bed is my sound spa. It has sounds of the ocean,summer nights,rain rainforest, thunder and waterfall. The sounds make me fall to sleep fast. My favorite sound is the rain.
1 person likes this
• China
18 Nov 08
Yes,from time to time,when lost sleep,i listen music so could to sleep.of course you should listen the light music in order to sleep well,if you listen rock music,i think you will too excited to sleep.
1 person likes this
@lostfan01 (259)
• United States
19 Nov 08
i always listen to music when im sleeping; i find classical/instrumental music, or jazz music to be the most relaxing so that is what i put on when i go to sleep. I used to put on a rock station, but switched to classical because i wouldnt have a good sleep with hard rock music somehow..
@TessWhite (3146)
• United States
19 Nov 08
I can't listen to music and sleep - or TV or anything else. I'm one of those odd individuals who require absolute quiet to sleep. I even sleep with ear plugs to drown out sound from my pets. Its a pain, but thats just me. LOL
1 person likes this
• India
18 Nov 08
yes i would play songs on my mobile before i fall asleep i think it keeps on playing until the playlist is over or battery which ever ends first..!
1 person likes this
• India
18 Nov 08
I too have the habit of hearing music while sleeping.i heard that we can have a peaceful sleep if we hear melodious music before sleep.Its far more better if we hear comedies which helps you to avoid bad dreams.
1 person likes this