Is Fundable.com a scam?

@android (895)
March 10, 2009 7:48am CST
I have been checking this site out for quite some time now and it certainly looks interesting. There seems to be a lot of speculation about whether this is some kind of scam though, a few people have reported receiving confirmation of pledges that have been made to their cause but have not received payment from them, even upon reaching their target. Does any or has anyone used this site before with any success? It's also strange how as soon as I contacted them I had one e-mail from them and another fake e-mail pretending to be Paypal and asking for my login details!
3 responses
• United States
12 May 09
I had a FUNDABLE fundraiser end and was well over my targeted amount. This was in February. It is now May and not only have I not received a check from them,I also have not received a response to any email or voicemail message. So, since they say they cut checks and you receive them within 7 business days of the close of your fundraiser, I can go ahead and put it on record that FUNDABLE IS A SCAM. No check - three months - donors are now pissed off. How can they do this and get away with it??
@android (895)
13 May 09
Thanks for sharing the information. It really is awful that there are people out there that do things like this. Unfortunately, due to the nature of the internet, there are loads of loopholes that can be exploited such as spoofing email address, IP addresses, etc. They've probably registered under fake details and got their own server hidden away somewhere secret. It's quite daunting that they have paypal integrated on their website, they could be stealing people's passwords!
@android (895)
28 May 09
There is another service available that do this, although it looks almost identical. However, several reputable organizations have claimed to have used it to receive donations. I think it's called ChipIn - but I wouldn't trust anyone like this until you have solid evidence that they are genuine.
• United States
28 May 09
P.S. - It has now been closer to four month with no word from them on our $500 we raised. My organization has lost donors because of this, and we have been fundraising for years with the same donors. Fundable is responsible for tarnishing the name of my organization AND ripping us off. When I was unable to produce the $500 for the cause at hand, it appeared that I had taken that money or used it for something else. This really put me in a bad place. I had asked them to send me a check (to avoid Paypal fees) so I wonder if the people who have actually received money have used Paypal transfer? Has anyone reading this actually RECEIVED money and if so, how?Is there a joint lawsuit going on right now that I could join?
• India
10 Mar 09
i dont know about this site much but if u got a fake e-mail from paypal asking ur account details then their is a point of concern over there.I also have a paypal account but they never asked me for any kind of info.So be careful bro.
@android (895)
10 Mar 09
Thanks for your reply. obviously I haven't handed over details and I'm not going to. In fact, I don't even use the e-mail address that it was sent to for Paypal at all anyway! It might not be anything to do with the site in question, but I think it's a very strong coincidence that both the reply e-mail and the fake email arrived in my inbox at the same, but only after e-mailing them a question!
• United States
5 Dec 09
Fundable is closed now, but I have used DonateGroup.com asking for money and they seem to be the better alternative: http://www.donategroup.com