What is the best solution for Writer's Block?

Philippines
June 10, 2009 5:47am CST
I'm a freelance writer and amateur journalist, and pressure gets to me a lot of times. Have you experienced Writer's Block? I have, and not just once or twice, but a lot of times. It even happens to me during times when I have to write simple review papers for plays or poetry. What's the best soluting for Writer's Block? My friend who is also a writer said she drinks hot chocolate to stimulate her brain. Hmm. What do you do?
1 person likes this
5 responses
@byfaithonly (10698)
• United States
14 Jun 09
I have to walk away from it - go for a walk, do dishes, play solitare, oh opps writters block I keep writing but do responses to discussions on mylot. Works every time, clear my head of what I'm trying to write and it makes room for fresh ideas, block is gone gotta get busy before I lose that though :)
• Australia
14 Jun 09
A great trick is to pick an item, or a topic thats relevant to you, and start writing a story about it, then and there. If you are any sort of writer, you should be ready to return to your book, article or poem before you have 5 pages of this 'impromptu' story written. Mind you, there is a good chance you may have already begun your next project.
• United States
10 Jun 09
Ok, I am a freelance writer and I also work for a content writing company. In my world, there is no such thing as writers block. If you want to make it as a writer, you cannot allow yourself to succumb to "writers block!" I know, this sounds stupid and egotistical, but I allowed writers block to slow me down for many years. Guess what? I never got anything written! So I don't allow it to get me now. What I do is write EVERY DAY. Without fail. If you miss one day, it will take you three more to get back into your groove. It is crucial that you spend at least a little while every day writing, even if it's just journaling. Make a list of words that, no matter what, inspire a thought. If you feel that the wheels are having a little trouble turning, just start writing something about one of those words. Once you're warmed up, there will be no stopping you!I hope that was helpful. I just feel that if you truly want to be a writer, you just have to say NO to writer's block. I have more info on freelancing on my blogs. (Listed below.) --Lindsey Rainwater www.rainwaterfreelancewriting.wordpress.com www.rainwaterfreelancing.blogspot.com
• United States
11 Jun 09
My favorite exercise to do are drabbles. A drabble is 100 words -- no more, no less. It can be about anything. Or you can ask someone to choose a few keywords for you to base the drabble on. Or pick an object you see or something you feel, remember, see, etc. Also you can do double-drabbles. Two hundred words. Or a jumbo drabble, 500 words, with six keywords, a location, and a character's name. They're just light, fun, short ways to loosen up and just write. :)
@cassaleo (32)
• United States
10 Jun 09
Hello, Well I have writers block as we speak! What I normally do is to clear my mind and think of something silly to just write about. Sometimes I just write anything that comes to my head no matter how simple it might be. I can almost always get something good from that. I noticed that when you "vibe" as I call it with someone that can help you. Vibing is when you and another person whether in person or online recite original off the top of the head poetry to one another or just lyrics. I don't get to do that as much, but when I do it is real fun. You have to get someone that you are on the same page with and go from there. One time, I was vibing with one of my good friends and it was real awesome. He is one of those people who can give you a hook and you have something to go on. I like to reread what we wrote and look at our creativity. You should try it sometimes. It helps loosen you up for other assignments you might have!