How does one care for a baby snapping turtle?

Spain
June 19, 2009 7:14pm CST
My brother found it yesterday, and he wants to keep it. And I have no idea how to take care of it. What do I need? What do I feed it? Cheers :-)
2 people like this
4 responses
• United States
20 Jun 09
Hello, we have turtles that stick around our house that come out every morning for us to feed them. They love cat and dog food, bananas,and lettuce. It is really neat they all come back about the same time every day for us to feed them. You have to be careful though snapping turtles don't only snap they will bite you and will not let go! Also there is the salmonella factor...be sure to wash your hands after you handle the turtle.
1 person likes this
• Spain
21 Jun 09
I like to see that they take a lot of varied food, because we eat, at my house, very different meals from the supermarket. we have always plenty of vegetable and fruits. My dog don´t get used to eat those cans of dog food, sold in the mall, I think that´s because I gave her other fooos, human foods, Before I begin to give her canned dog food. That´s why, but if he decides to keep the turtle, I will try definitely to use dog food. Well, salmonella, and vindictive creatures to add.....Then I have to convince not to keep that animal. A cat is harmless, and affectionate. I hope I can change his mind then :)
@roserer (24)
• Ukraine
20 Jun 09
I don´t know but those sea animals I bet they all eat plancton from the sea. and algaes too.
1 person likes this
• Spain
21 Jun 09
I´m sure they does. In fact plankton is a very good source of nourishment for all kind of fishes. Whales are an animal that eats plankton everyday, hundreds or even millions of kilogrames of plankton everyday. And what to say about Algaes, they are other source of nutriment, full of minerals, vitamins, and enzimes, that´s why eating fish is so recommended by any nutritionist.
@oyenkai (4394)
• Philippines
29 Jun 09
I do believe that you have to put it in an aquarium where it can have both dry land and sort of personal lake to swim in. You can feed it fresh fish or other kinds of stuff that you can buy from a pet store (they'd know what to feed it if you'd ask them :D) Thanks for the response on my discussion :)
• United States
25 Jun 09
You need to take that baby snapping turtle back to the river. These are too dangerous to be kept as pets. If it was a little bigger I'd give you a recipe. Snapping turtles are good eating.