Quality of our Slippers

Philippines
October 4, 2009 1:10am CST
This is not really a new issue but while working on my lecture, I found this article and thought that I would want to know what you think about it. The local distributor of the popular Brazilian flip flop brand Havaianas has recalled from the market selected models for children found by the US Consumer Product Safety Commission to contain lead in excess of US federal standards, following the voluntary pullout from the American market by Havaianas United States of the affected Havaianas Kids styles. Although the recall was specific to the US, with no reported injuries or incidents, Terry SA, Havaianas distributor in the Philippines, said it has in “good faith removed the same items from the selling floor since March 5, 2009.” It clarified that not all 22 styles pulled out in the US were imported into the Philippines. The US Consumer Product Safety Commission recently found that a pigment used in the decorative paint on the sole of some of the flip flops sold by Havaianas may contain lead in excess of US federal standards. Together with Havaianas, it recalled about 210,000 units of children’s flip flops. In a statement from Sao Paolo, Brazil, where the flip flops are manufactured, Havaianas pointed out that the recall represented less than one percent of the company’s total production. In addition, “immediate action to substitute the pigment by an organic dye was taken for all styles and for 100 percent of the silk-screened product,” said Carla Schmitzberger, director of Havaianas. “Silk-screened product” refers to those flip-flops with decorative paint. The company also emphasized that they are confident that the product “offers no health hazard as typically used and there have been absolutely no injuries or damages reported to date in the US or in any other market that Havaianas is sold.” For its part, Terry SA said it is “reassuring our customers that they do not need to worry about the Havaianas styles being sold by our authorized retailers right now.” “The well-being of the public continues to be the priority of our company and we shall continue to make accessible to the public updated information as soon as it becomes available,” said Anne Gonzalez, managing director of Terry SA. Ooooppss… have you checked your flip flops lately?
78 responses
11 Apr 11
To be honest i don't have this havaianas flip flop. I think the reputation of the company has been already damage even though there is no reported injuries and incidents. But it is good that there company did a solution to there problems.
1 person likes this
10 Apr 11
because of the recall it affects the brand name of havaianas.. although no accidents was reported the company must pull out their product because even if there is no accident yet it may cause danger to health of children or the one buying slippers..recalls are done to avoid accidents and contaminations that a product can do that is why havaianas must really pull out their products.
1 person likes this
@jhoverly (21)
• Philippines
10 Apr 11
Havaianas flip flops are well known brand of slippers in the world. This brand of slipper also is very expensive but people are willing to buy some because of its quality. But because of the bad issue that occurred, many customers are disappointed to buy. The company losses some of there customers. The producers of the slippers should check there products first before bringing out in the market. Because of carelessness of the producer, they losses the good name of there company. They should always remember that good name is still the best.
1 person likes this
10 Apr 11
Nowadays, market,consumers,people are really intelligent and very aware of the products offered in the market. They carefully inspect the products they are buying.For Havaianas, they should really inspect carefully the materials they used in their product to avoid issues that could destroy their image which can lead to loss of sales.Havaianas is big company but still it encounters some issues like this.It doesn't really matter if a company is a big or small one when it comes to some issues or mistakes occurring in terms of its product. So, every company must see to it that they comply with standards and specifications to the materials in producing their product.
1 person likes this
10 Apr 11
havaianas is a very well-known company. how come they did not detect that their is lead in the content of their product. they must first check the safety of their product before distributing. good thing it did not harm anyone. but still maybe they lost some customers.
1 person likes this
@jannray (20)
• Philippines
10 Apr 11
For me the company should first make sure that there products are safe before releasing to the market. The just did the right thing because the well being of the public is very important. Aside from that parents will not be worried to there children wearing this kind of flip flops. The company will not also be affected that much because not all there products need not to be recalled. If they didn't do the recall the brand "Havaianas" will be destroyed.
1 person likes this
@LdeL0318 (6402)
• Philippines
4 Oct 09
my havs - These are some of my flip flops from Havaianas.
I do have several pairs of Havaianas flip flops. Luckily i didn't have any of those that has a print on it. The designs I have are all plain. But still the news is very alarming. They should be careful with their products and always think of their customers health. The client is their first priority here because without them they will surely be nothing also.
10 Apr 11
ghghg
• Philippines
15 Oct 09
The company should consider quality to achieve their goals like what they have said that they prioritize the well-being of the public. I think they do not really prioritize the well being of the public because they produce hazardous flip flops they just do designs, colors and other things to make flip flops attractive and customers will buy it. In addition, their immediate action is just to substitute the pigment by an organic dye in all of their flip flop, does this action consider the quality of the flip flops?... hmmmm
• Philippines
20 Oct 09
If they are really concern with the public then why should they add lead in the flip flops instead using other safe materials. they should never forget their goal or priority in doing business which is to produce good quality products.
@dpalais (130)
• Philippines
17 Oct 09
havaianas slippers are really atractive.however when i have read this article i think product quality is not really based on its name and price.Before i really believe that when a product is expensive and carry a name its with quality and safe.But I appreciate the response of the havaianas philippine distributor that they voluntarily recall the havaianas flip flops with the same design that was recalled at U.S. Doing this is really expensive and a waste of time and money.they only show their concern to their customers and do their social responsibilty to everyone.I already check the website of the havaianas and i notice that printed flip flops are still displayed I hope this is already safe slippers so that everybody happy!!!
@dpalais (130)
• Philippines
19 Oct 09
If lead is dangerous to health when wrongfully use to slippers how much more in using it as an ingredient for a toothpaste? Ma'am I only learn this to the speaker of a seminar I attended last month the seminar is all about taking good care of your teeth. according to him, some company toothpaste producer use lead as ingredient to their product.
• Philippines
1 Mar 10
even I don"t have that brand of sleepers, and as far we consumer is concern the manufacturer should always put in there mind that the issue is with regards to health so there is no reason for it to be tolerated, most specially that we all know the fact that there product is well know to the people. therefore the management should really give immediate actions and if possible try to remove the said reason of the lead content.
1 person likes this
• Philippines
8 Apr 11
I already read about that issue pertaining to the action made by the Brazilian flip flop brand Havaianas of recalling their product. For me its a goo action to pulled out their product if there is/are safe issues that would jeopardize the company's quality image of producing quality and safe products. I am confident that the Havaianas products here in Philippines are safe because every product that would enter in the Philippine coming from foreign countries are screened several times over and over again. Just like the case of the milk that has a melamine issue. Our government detected that there's a problem about the safeness's of the product. An for sure that Brazilian flip flop wouldn't bluff if they are assuring that there would be no problem about the safeness of their product.
1 person likes this
@khatty01 (32)
9 Apr 11
They must really recall the products that can cause harm both to the consumers and the environment. It is important that the company should always think for the safety of their consumers because they are also the reasons of your success in business. They must know first the effect of the chemicals putted in it. It is much better if they would use chemicals that wouldn't harm their consumers. I got a pair of Havaianas & I prefer more to have a plain colored one.
1 person likes this
9 Apr 11
although im not a fan of this havaianas slippers i do salute the management for recalling the products even before it would create a problem that would kill people. this act is certainly for the well-being of the people world wide who are an avid fan of the slippers.
1 person likes this
@aims0824 (12)
8 Feb 12
For me, the company was right with its decision to recall the slippers to avoid any further incident to occur in the future. It might affect the company`s name but the company`s concern was more on the side of the consumers. Despite the incidence, the company was still able to keep the trust and confidence of their consumers to the company by working on what happened and assuring that everything has taken good care of.
31 Jan 12
Well, even though I don't buy Havaianas products, still I am affected about the issue. It is because, there are many people buying their products without knowing some of this can affect their health. Well, it's good that the US Consumer Product Safety Commission have recalled the Havaianas Kid's Style to voluntarily pull out in the US market, even though there's no one yet complained about the products or any incidents happen because of the products. But, still the company must always make sure that the products that they produce in the market won't exceed the quality standards, and also, they must be more careful in producing slippers. The company must always think or must always prioritize their customers, because without them the company won't be successful.
5 Feb 12
It's is good that they pulled out some of the products for the company t improve their production and processes. They should also be sure in what chemicals they are going to use in production if it is hazardous or not, so that they will not incur such problems and scandals. Some of them will no longer use havaianas slippers and prefer to buy other products in the market. The company shoul learn from their mistake and promise that such issue will never happen again.
@nhovex (12)
8 Feb 12
when i read this article I checked out my slippers at home if there are havaiana products but i did not found any havaianah products. In this issue many people were affected so instead of buying flip flop they will buy the products of their competitors.Even me I will not buy anymore to that product.I was Curious if how much did the company spend to be able to come up with that product.Maybe they incurred many loss in producing. The number of customers willing to buy their products decrease.The company had already bad image to the People.
8 Feb 12
well its good that the company voluntarily recalled the affected product.And its good to know that they are willing to update the public even though this could make bad impression to the manufacturers.But this issue stained the reputation of the company. Loyal buyers of the company might doubt the quality of the product they produce. The customers will hesitate to buy the product because there is no guarantee of safety.
8 Feb 12
Well, its nice to have pair of slipper like that kind of product. However, people still buying the product even if they don't know the issue on it. Honestly speaking, I don't want to spend my money in a slipper that cost too much. But, still the fashion of having this product will intend to buy for it to be a part of the fashion world. There are still lots of product that can be in, in the fashion style of slipper.
@zshen18 (12)
8 Feb 12
It's good that their is no reported injuries and incidents after they found out that the a pigment used in decorative paint is silk-screened product.I don't have flip flops, and i don't want to buy flip flops because I'm not comfortable using it