Have you eaten goat meat?

@bingskee (5234)
Philippines
August 29, 2010 7:02am CST
Goat meat is not a common ingredient for Filipino dishes. I am not aware if they are a favorite in other countries nor is it a delicacy. I have tasted goat meat a long time ago on different occasions. As conclusion, it is important that people who prepare dishes with goat meat as main ingredient should be careful. There is a peculiar taste when prepared without care. An expert is required to acquire the best of the meat's taste. Have you eaten goat meat?
4 people like this
30 responses
@urbandekay (18278)
29 Aug 10
Yes, I have eaten roasted goat meat in East Africa where in is considered delicious and I have to agree all the best urban
@urbandekay (18278)
30 Aug 10
No, I saw the meat cut off raw and it was then roasted, no smell and no unpleasant taste all the best urban
@bingskee (5234)
• Philippines
30 Aug 10
oh, really? and no particular taste or smell after roasting the meat?
@bingskee (5234)
• Philippines
29 Aug 10
roasted? interesting. they must have herbs before roasting it to get rid of the smell and the peculiar taste. or they must have marinated it.
• India
30 Aug 10
Goat meat is one of the main delicacy on our part of the world,and for the sake of our knowledge it comes in 3-4 variety as well.....Yes!. Generally speaking its very naturally been accepted by every household and no special training or course is needed by our people who cooks it,it is liked and appericiated by all the non-vegetarians,if marinated its better but without marination too its taste superb and delicious. Its the habitual or the habitat where one is grown up and therefore each and every individual have different taste-buds,and therefore no one have any right to go against someones liking/disliking. At the end all these mutton's are grouped under the Red-Meat which is carcinogenic to our health and even somewhere I have read that it is also have a negative effect on our green planet when compared against the CO2 level as well.Hence we have to be responsible citizen of our country too for the sake of our only Planet i.e. Mother Earth which sustain LIFE.
@bingskee (5234)
• Philippines
30 Aug 10
i think no one here is going against anybody who dislikes goat meat. :-) goat meat is red meat alright. thank you for sharing the information on how it could be dangerous to one's health if taken more often. the whole objective of the discussion is to know if there are a lot of mylotters who have already eaten goat meat and how they find it.
• India
31 Aug 10
Yes the objective is fulfilled by we the mylotters,there is NO dearth of mylotters who really love to eat the goat meat,and as its been discussed that we people do like to eat and are accustomed to the strong smell of the goat.....yes its very true and at the same breath it is also true if some one if served with lamb or pork,to we goat eaters even at that juncture too easily come to know what meat is been served to us again;that too again by smell or due to lack of smell; but its the smell which counts,and therefore naturally the culture or the geographical distance makes us different,I hope we all agree with it and at the same time its a delicacy most of our mylotters are not aware off just like we are not aware of the taste of other delicacy of other parts of the world. Lol we mylotter are made up of either goat/lamb/pork/beef/chicken my my mylotters.LOL!
@Cutie18f (9551)
• Philippines
30 Aug 10
There is a special kind of cooking for goat meat in our country. We call it "caldereta" and this kind of cooking is really delicious. A lot of spices are placed into the dish in order to remove the not-so-good smell of goat meat.
@bingskee (5234)
• Philippines
30 Aug 10
caldereta is a common dish in the Philippines. but i like beef caldereta better.
@julsie (70)
29 Aug 10
i have had goats meat when i lived ion greece. its really good.
@bingskee (5234)
• Philippines
29 Aug 10
are you greek, julsie? is goat meat a delicacy in greece?
@julsie (70)
31 Aug 10
no i just lived there. yeah its a delicacy there and they are very good at cooking it.
@gnomeland (421)
30 Aug 10
hi bingskee, i am partly jamaican so have been able to taste curried goat at special celebrations like weddings and family christening parties.
@bingskee (5234)
• Philippines
30 Aug 10
so, is it tasty when curried?
• Philippines
30 Aug 10
Yes, I have. Lots of times already. My grandmother always has goat meat for fiestas and other occasions. They cook it really well specially with tomato sauce. It's really delicious. Also, there's a popular viand that has goat meat as main ingredient. I'm not sure what it's called though, but it's also yummy.
@bingskee (5234)
• Philippines
30 Aug 10
your grandma must be an expert. :-) where is this place of yours?
• Philippines
30 Aug 10
Yes, I guess she is. They have been doing it for a long time now and it really tastes great. And they have lots of goats, so it's really something normal for them. I'm from the Philippines.
@nishdan01 (3051)
• Singapore
30 Aug 10
I do eat goat meat and I prepare them too. It is one of the tastiest of all meats. It is higly nutritive with lots of medicinal properties. If you pressure cook it well, there is nothing to fear about it being not cooked well.
@bingskee (5234)
• Philippines
30 Aug 10
that is interesting to know that it is highly nutritive. nice idea about pressure cooking.
• India
30 Aug 10
Goat meat is the standard meat of choice for Indians who eat meat and for us Bengalis specially. Traditionally, Bengali Hindus would have the goat meat as a sacrificial offering…it was prepared specially without onion or garlic. Apart from that, meat would mean only goat meat in those days as chicken was banned (as it was eaten by the Muslims and Christians). Nowadays, however its become quite expensive yet you must have it at least once a week. Rather, lamb is an exotic meat for us…we don’t get lamb meat anywhere in our city except maybe exotic shops or five start hotels LOL About the smell most of you are talking about, yes there is an obnoxious smell that comes out of the goat’s body when alive, but we’ve never felt the meat to smell anything bad. We even make stew out of it and that’s very very tasty.
@bingskee (5234)
• Philippines
30 Aug 10
that is some information. thank you for sharing. maybe Bengalis have gotten used to goat meat that they have not experienced the weird smell. for people who do not eat the meat often, it would really be a truly different experience as most people here in our country often eat pork, chicken and beef. also, maybe the spices have to do with removing the weird smell.
• Quezon, Philippines
30 Aug 10
I think I have when I was just a kid. Or was it dog? It is spicy and when I ate it I felt hot.
@bingskee (5234)
• Philippines
30 Aug 10
i think it was dog meat you had. goat meat would not feel hot except if prepared with spices.
@zeethegr8 (785)
• India
30 Aug 10
yum, I love non-vegetarian food. And goat meat is my second favorite non-veg food. Here in India you'll get so many varieties of meat and such delicious dishes are hard to resist. Although I like chicken more, I don't mind goat meat at all a few times. One word - MASS ENERGY!..oops that's two!
@bingskee (5234)
• Philippines
30 Aug 10
ha ha i noticed. :) i was able to see a documentary about India's delicacies at Discovery channel one time. they look delicious though i don't know if that my taste buds would agree.
@shia88 (4571)
• Malaysia
30 Aug 10
Hi, I never try goat meat before and I don't think I am dare to eat. Actually i don't eat beef too,unless ,the person can cook very best beef without any beef taste,then I will have a bite. At my hometown,there are certain places that sell goat meat soup. My siblings do eat before and when they brought the soup back home, I can't take the smell..it was so strong and I feel dizzy.
@bingskee (5234)
• Philippines
30 Aug 10
beef is okay. ha ha it really made you dizzy? such a strong smell huh.
@deve_annrn (1856)
• Philippines
30 Aug 10
I've tasted goat meat a couple of times.., and it tastes good.., but i still prefer poultry meat because it's more softer to bite.., goat meat is a bit hard.., and my teeth will suffer..=)
@bingskee (5234)
• Philippines
30 Aug 10
poultry meat has the easiest taste to acquire. goat meat is a rare delicacy and if one is not used to it, even if it is tender, but taste weird, then it would be rejected. :-)
@jhyan007 (467)
• Philippines
30 Aug 10
...yeah, i have eaten goat meat a lot of times during festival or fiesta here in our country...you are right, the cook should be very careful when it comes to goat meat, although that is applicable for every meat or foods that he cook and serve..=)
@bingskee (5234)
• Philippines
30 Aug 10
in the visayas, it is popular. where is your province?
@sjhaeki (795)
• Philippines
30 Aug 10
yes i've eaten goat meat. and i'm don't like it that much, maybe of all the meat eaten by filipinos, goat's meat is one thing that i am hesitant to eat. i'll eat it when i have no choice at all.
@bingskee (5234)
• Philippines
30 Aug 10
you are not alone.
@Rainegurl (2156)
• Philippines
30 Aug 10
Hi, bingskee I am Filipino and I like goat meat. Although I do not eat goat meat often. And yes, it is important to clean the meat well because otherwise, it really smells. My favorite dish with goat meat is Kilawin and Sinampalukan. You made me hungry. Have a nice day!
@bingskee (5234)
• Philippines
30 Aug 10
i had already tasted kilawin but not sinampalukan. Have a nice day!
• United States
29 Aug 10
Yes, I have eaten goat meat many times. You have to butcher a young goat for the meat to be good! And if it's wild it will have a funky taste! It makes a really good stew though, let me tell ya!!
@bingskee (5234)
• Philippines
29 Aug 10
stew? wow. i am amazed at the various recipes that goat meat can be cooked.
@sender621 (14894)
• United States
29 Aug 10
I have heard of goat meat but I have never eaten it. I'm not even sure where the best place to find it would be? I wonder what other meat it tastes the most like. Perhaps someday I will be adventurous enough to give it a try.
@bingskee (5234)
• Philippines
29 Aug 10
hello, sender621. here in the Philippines there are eating places, or eateries that serve goat meat. it is their main dish. i have not gone to one. i have tasted goat meat in a few occasions. the meat is good when it is prepared correctly. it is awful when it's not. it has a taste that has no equivalent to me. i dont know if it taste like lamb meat because i have tasted it.
@gaiza12 (4884)
• Philippines
30 Aug 10
Goat meat is delicious. I eat it but i would sometimes get picky because some goat meats are being cooked without care. Sometimes the meat still smells bad and you can really know it the cooked has done it with care or just cooked it for the sake of cooking.
@bingskee (5234)
• Philippines
30 Aug 10
i bet ya it would really taste and smells bad if not prepared properly. but it made me wonder about the previous comment that roasted goat meat tasted delicious without the herbs in it, roasted raw.
• China
29 Aug 10
Hi bingskee How are you doing today. I have never eaten goat meat. I like to try it. I like beef very much. of course, if I have chance to try goat meat. I will be happy to. Have a nice day.
@bingskee (5234)
• Philippines
29 Aug 10
i'm good, thanks for asking. beef is common and easy to cook. but goat meat, it requires an expert. it is not easy to prepare.
@juggerogre (1653)
• Philippines
30 Aug 10
Yes I have eaten goat meat many times. Its one of my father's favorite dishes. He's an expert when it comes to preparing goat. I agree with you that it needs an expert when preparing it. It has some weird taste which will really turn you down if not prepared properly. My favorite would be Goat Meat Caldereta.
@bingskee (5234)
• Philippines
30 Aug 10
weird is one of those appropriate words for goat meat taste when it is not prepared very well. =^D