2004 Tsunami conspiracy, fact or fiction?

Philippines
January 13, 2007 12:57am CST
Tsunamis are caused by earthquakes under the sea but some people think the U.S. and Indian militaries deliberately caused the Indian Ocean tsunamis with electromagnetic pulse technology. This conspiracy theory is mostly expressed by popular Arab news services. The natural disaster dominated news agendas around the world for about a fortnight, effectively causing a news blackout of all other stories. Another type of theory bases its claims on oil and gas interests. Others also reason that the technology is at least feasible if not highly probable since research into such technology has been conducted by the military as far back as World War II. According to declassified files, top-secret "tsunami bomb" experiments utilyzing nuclear explosions to trigger "mini-tidal waves" were conducted off the coast of New Zealand in 1944 and 1945. The U.S. Defense Department had even expressed concern about earthquake-inducing technology in warfare well before the 2004 disaster. In 1997 Defense Secretary William S. Cohen stated, "Others are engaging even in an eco-type of terrorism whereby they can alter the climate, set off earthquakes, volcanoes remotely through the use of electromagnetic waves. So there are plenty of ingenious minds out there that are at work finding ways in which they can wreak terror upon other nations. It's real, and that's the reason why we have to intensify our efforts, and that's why this is so important." taken from wikipedia.org
3 people like this
39 responses
@lilaclady (28207)
• Australia
13 Jan 07
OMG I can't believe someone could make a conspiricy theory on the tsunami, I think that has got to be the most rediculous thing I have ever heard I am sorry but it is.
• Philippines
13 Jan 07
this is one of the thousands of conspiracy theories out there. we can only speculate, say what we want to say, even myself i find it adsurd but watching sci-fi/detective movies and tv shows even documentaries i get a bit convinced that is true. anyway, let us just be aware and hope for the best.
• Sri Lanka
14 Jan 07
There is nothing strange in such news as long as it is based in Arab. They even don't like to believe that people can go to the Moon. I think USA is doing much more than this. They create solar eclipses when they want to cover the sun for a few minutes, so that people in the third world countries will be idle during the eclipse, and will have to buy more things from them due to fall in production. They create lunar eclipses to show the world that the Universe is their private property. This is why the Islamice Terrorists are hitting them. Go give it to them. I am with you. I have reliable news that they are creating solar flares by sending Nuclear rockets to the Sun. This is an experiment being carried out to use the Sun against their enemies. One of these days people will look at the sky and ask, where is the Moon who took it? And you know who would have done it. It's a pity that India has also got into this. But we the rest of the world should not close our eyes and wait. We have to do something about this. This is what I suggest doing: To do all these it is clear that George Bush is God. So let's build a Temple dedicated to him in a far away desert and worship him. Then we can have annual pilgrimages to it (sometimes the US could fund organised pilgrimages) and shout, "Bush is great, oh save the world and have mercy on us. Don't chase us like cattle and keep hitting us." I think this will work.
1 person likes this
14 Jan 07
Intellectual sarcasm. You can't beat it. I enjoyed your comments!!!
• Portugal
18 Jan 07
That would gave a great Hollywood argument, in these days with all the technology that exists it´s all possible, but in that case it was a natural one, a big tragic sign from Mother Nature. A warning call to all of us.
• Philippines
19 Jan 07
a "sign of times", probably it is, considering exploitations we do with the environment and as predicted in the Bible
@Perry2007 (2229)
• Philippines
21 Feb 07
Great research topic... It could be possible like locally, where the Pinatubu eruption was also thought of to be man made, It happened when the US military left their Base here in the Phil. All are taken as rumors...May your ingenious mind work to contribute to the positive effect.
• India
13 Jan 07
well i call this totally absurd nonsense.....arab news cannot be trusted because they r sworn enemies of US of the religous jihads and so on......generally if soe software is released in US the immediate night the pirated copies of the product would get uploaded in interne...so we can't totally beleive in what they say.....But the electromagnetic theory can also be true when viewed fictionally .....Us do lot of top secret research and do anything.....well i to have a fictional fact chinese or Us or russian nuclear submarine might have crashed in the caverns in the bottom of the sea and that could have set a power ful blast that caused hte tsunami waves that's why even the water colour changed and since it was a ocean it diluted most of the radio actie material.....etc.....anyone can write craps like this....it's only the matter of minutes to think up the theory and nothing can be stated without proof.....and i say this as a pure junk
• Philippines
13 Jan 07
maybe lies, truly lies, but these things makes us aware of how troubled this world is. for now, let us just hope and pray for best
@maxisking (105)
• New Zealand
16 Feb 07
Zomg, Why would someone make up a theory
• Philippines
16 Feb 07
i guess that someone wants to be a 'Tom Clancy'-type novelist. ?
@mythmoh (3984)
• United States
13 Jan 07
i dont think man can conquer nature.no country will do this and kill their own citizens.that too particularly involvement of India in this is highly ridiculous.i dont think it is a man made tsunami.if it proven then they should answer for the relatives of the people who lost their lives in this tragic incident.these are signs for the end of world.
• Philippines
14 Jan 07
a "sign of the end times". i also think it is coz the Bible tells it so, some truths are already revealed and more to come.
@polachicago (18716)
• United States
14 Jan 07
I far as I can believe in any conspiracy, this is and can not be real. Like someone already said, it is as stupid as the one about 9/11 conspiracy. People are talking about conspiracy because they like gossip and conspiracy.
14 Jan 07
I know alot of conspiracy theories may be lies but always have an open mind on things. We are not always told the truth and that is not a conspiracy.
@chiyosan (30184)
• Philippines
14 Jan 07
no way! not another consipracy speculations, please this is a natural disaster and let's not jump into conclusions.
• Philippines
14 Jan 07
the mystery weapon (maybe science fiction) could be the only effective way to stop/deflect/pulverize incoming colossal meteor or comet.
@lauriefnp (5111)
• United States
14 Jan 07
This is as ridiculous as the "theory" that the U.S. government was responsible for the attacks on 9/11. I can't believe that some groups of people have nothing better to do than to try to think up these ludicrous conspiracy theories and try to spread doubt and dissension throughout the world. I only hope that the majority of the world's population is intelligent enough not to even entertain these stupid theories.
• Philippines
14 Jan 07
awareness (but not paranoia) is helpful. it conditions our mind to not panic when situation comes.
@tvmmak68 (181)
• India
15 Jan 07
I don,t think there is any conspiracy theory behind an earthquake and tsunami.They are caused naturally due to movement of plates over a few kilometres beneath.If it happens in sea it triggers a tsunami depending on its intensity.it is simple as that
• Philippines
16 Jan 07
this could probably be the cause, faults movement or continental drift..
• United States
14 Jan 07
Has anyone heard of the H.A.R.P. project? It is an actual project in Alaska that uses ultra low frequencies to effect damage on many different targets. It has been documented in governments docs as well as individual testimonies. I am NOT saying the tsunami was caused by this technology. Just that there are technologies in the hands of humans that have major effect for the negative. 95% of these weapons the everyday person has no clue of. Where do you think the military complex spends all of the TRILLION dollars a year that we give them?
• Philippines
14 Jan 07
like Area51, an open secret. some of these clandestine projects are real but government won't disclose to the public until situation arises.
@kabuki (152)
• Singapore
14 Jan 07
Now that you mention it, i have given it some deep thought. Not that it is implausible but the consequences of developing such a technology is immense. It could prove to be a double-edged sword in the long run. Humans should not temper with the forces of nature unless we ourselves can effectively control or curb the destruction.
• Philippines
14 Jan 07
the mystery weapon (maybe science fiction) could be the only effective way to stop/deflect/pulverize incoming colossal meteor or comet.
@CatEyes (2448)
• United States
13 Jan 07
When one start to tamper with nature, especialy in that magnitude, you will get burned. That type tinkering and alter the climate. Over here in houston we had very cold weather adn snow, something we rarley have. I wonder if there is a connection at all. I know that the earthe had stopped for like a nanno sec., but it could effect the overall climate.
• Philippines
14 Jan 07
i think there are a handful of factors that lead our Earth to this situation, think of the environmental expoitations we've done which is more easy to understand than those like 'area51 kind of things'
@sarkar1 (336)
• India
13 Jan 07
The pulse technology to cause Tsunami is possible,,,,,, but India being involved is highly impossible. This beacuse lakhs of people in northern India got killed and I dont think that the Indian government would kill its own people just to get a sensational news story....what you say is highly ir-rational.
• Philippines
14 Jan 07
maybe it was a miscalculation, it wasn't intended to happen. there are a lot of things we can think about when it comes to conspiracy but we have to take note that these are just theories until proven as a facts.
@Bee1955 (3882)
• United States
13 Jan 07
My cousin in Turkey suggested the same thing after an earthquake rocked his residence in istanbul a few years ago. I believe science can accomplish much, but that is too far-fetched for me. As I told him, why Turkey? We have problems in Iraq and Afghanistan that could have been used as guinea pigs for such a new weapon, not an allied nation. Still, we invented the "A" bomb without the population's knowledge until it was launched to Japan in WWII.
• Philippines
14 Jan 07
i am more inclined to think that earthquakes, typhoons,.. are just natural phenomena, but because of the knowledge we humans have gain in the last century like building Abomb, space shuttle, stealth fighter, etc. we can't help to think that this pulse beam weapon could possibly be true.
@krishkorp (427)
• India
13 Jan 07
There is no way the the millataries cna copy the nature.They can only come close to nature.AS far as my opinion is concerned ,i feel the tsunami was natural and has nothing to do with electromagnetic pulse but ya an nuclear explosion in the sea can set off a tsunami.
• Philippines
13 Jan 07
i've watched a similar scenario on a tv show using pulse technology. even though fictional, i believe scientists and highly intellectual individuals can build it but obviously because of its nature they won't disclose it in public until situation comes like those stealth fighters in gulf war in 90s, those machines and devices in the past.
@Geminigirl (1909)
• United States
13 Jan 07
No way, there is just no way. That tsumnami was huge. I do not see how this could be possible!
• Philippines
14 Jan 07
maybe it was a miscalculation, they underestimate the destructive power of this mystery weapon. anyway, leave it as just nonsense. we just have to be aware of what's happening in this world.
@Riptide (2758)
• United States
13 Jan 07
I/m not sure what to think about this. It might be possible, but I think it's highly improbable.
• Philippines
13 Jan 07
we don't have to believe it, we just have to be aware because there are some truths and there some lies that the 'involved' are telling. and because we humans don't stagnate in terms of knowledge, we progress
• Italy
13 Jan 07
without changes humans will destroy the world
• Philippines
14 Jan 07
i guess the inevitability of the situation will come sooner.