Airline removes family because of toddler's tantrum

@wmaharper (2316)
United States
January 24, 2007 6:48am CST
ORLANDO, Fla. - AirTran Airways on Tuesday defended its decision to remove a Massachusetts couple from a flight after their crying 3-year-old daughter refused to take her seat before takeoff. AirTran officials said they followed Federal Aviation Administration rules that children age 2 and above must have their own seat and be wearing a seat belt upon takeoff. "The flight was already delayed 15 minutes and in fairness to the other 112 passengers on the plane, the crew made an operational decision to remove the family," AirTran spokeswoman Judy Graham-Weaver said. Julie and Gerry Kulesza, who were headed home to Boston on Jan. 14 from Fort Myers, said they just needed a little more time to calm their daughter, Elly. She was removed because "she was climbing under the seat and hitting the parents and wouldn't get in her seat" during boarding, Graham-Weaver said. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16773655/?GT1=8921 Do you think it was fair for the airline to remove the family? I think it's a tough desicion. Maybe the child should have been better behaved, but then again, any toddler has a bad day, and she could have been having a bad day. BUt, then do you make the other passengers suffer because this little girl is having a bad day? what do you think?
1 person likes this
4 responses
@emeraldisle (13139)
• United States
25 Jan 07
I think the airline acted more then fair to the parents. The parents knew the rules, they had to buy the ticket for the little girl and that she would have to sit in her own seat. They were the ones responsible for making sure she would follow the rules. When they couldn't control her the airline had every right to remove them. They were given their money back and they were given extra tickets, that was very nice of the company to do considering they didn't have to give the extra tickets to them. The other 112 passenters shouldn't have had to hear it all let alone have their flight disrupted because of them. They deserved some consideration as well. Since the family was returning home I'm going to presume they flew down, so it wasn't like this was the girl or the parents first flight. They knew what was to happen. Yes the little girl might have been having a bad day but the parents should have been able to handle her and if not then they should have understood why the airline asked them to leave the plane.
@wmaharper (2316)
• United States
25 Jan 07
I agree. I think it would have been ridiculous to have the plane wait longer for the family to settle down the little girl. And Like you said, she had already flown, the parents should have known what to expect, but She could have just been really sleep deprived or hungry or just grumpy, but the parents should have forseen that as well. I would have felt sorry for them, but not enough to warrent delaying the flight any longer than it already was.
@pagli84 (1850)
• Netherlands
25 Jan 07
i dont understand how parents let their kids get this way. does anyone nowadays know about discipline? and i dont mean hitting, because i am completely against that, but there are other ways of discipline that need to be started from day 1. it's like parents just look the other way for the first few years because they think their kids are cute or they're too young to know right from wrong or its okay to let them be brats. its not okay! you let them be like this the first few years and they'll end up like this forever, or at least you'll have a hell of a time trying to discipline them once they get older. i just dont understand it. God help me if i EVER let my kids hit me or act this way in public. i would have never done this as a child because i was disciplined from day 1. i knew i would get in huge trouble from my mom if i ever did something like this, so i was always very respectful and calm in public and at home.
1 person likes this
@wmaharper (2316)
• United States
25 Jan 07
I think alot of parents are confused about what to do. Theydon't know what form of discipline is correct, or when to use it, so they dont. Also, alot of parents would prefer to be friends with thier children, not realizing the harm they are causing. I know that my son has def. benefited from being disciplined from the beginning, and he is usually very well behaved. Having said that, all toddlers will have bad days, but it is our job as parents to foresee such problems and have a practical solution prepared (special snack/drinks, candy, gum toys etc..) to distract the children as much as possible. As much as I would hate for it to happen to me, I think the airline was right to have them leave.
@AJ1952Chats (2332)
• Anderson, Indiana
25 Jan 07
I think that the little girl remembered something about the flight down to Florida that she didn't like (e.g. pain/discomfort of cabin pressure in her ears) and was acting out. She wasn't a spoiled brat. Having said that, I believe that the airline did the right thing. It was the only thing they could have done, given the circumstances, and they were MORE than fair to the parents. All they were truly obligated to do was to reimburse the ticket money--but they did that, PLUS added three more trips to their credit.
@crystal8577 (1466)
• United States
24 Jan 07
Well if the flight was all ready 15 min delayed & they had been onboard then that is time they had to calm her down. I am a mother of 3 & I would still be upset about the little girls behavior. The airlines does have others to think about. If the rules said she had to sit & have a seatbelt on than that is it. They got their money back plus other compensation.
1 person likes this
@wmaharper (2316)
• United States
24 Jan 07
Yes, I agree. Also, if you really need to, you CAN force them to sit, and you should ALWAYS have things to bribe them if you HAVE too. I know with my two year old, I had to fly by myself, I brought a portable DVD player, and plenty of suckers and chocolate.. Because if he acted up.. iknew it wouldn't be fair to try to make him behave by discipline.. there are times to pick your battles and stuck up in an airplane with a hundred other passangers is not the time.