Breaking in new Doc Martens...

United States
February 21, 2007 8:22am CST
I have a fairly new pair of Doc Martens. They are 10 hole, red lace up boots. They are my first pair of Doc ever, and I lurve them. However I am having some trouble breaking them in. Thus far it's been a brutal process! Tons of blisters, and even some bleeding at the back of my heel. But I keep trying! Recently a friend told me that a good way to break them in was to wear them in the shower. She said to cover my foot in vaseline, put on a heavy sock, and then wear my boots into the shower. Once they are wet, keep them on as long as I can stand to help them mold to your foot. I think I might try this tonight, since I really want to be able to wear these new boots comfortably but I wanted to see if anyone else has any tips for breaking in Docs? So, any tips? Thanks!
1 person likes this
2 responses
@smacksman (6053)
21 Feb 07
Yes. That is how we broke them in in the army, though we did it BEFORE we had a foot full of blisters! I would wait for them to heal first. We would soak them while wearing them and keep them on for a few days when we were on light duties. No way do it when you have to go long distances or blisters will still come. And also do it before you dubbin them (waterproof them) for obvious reasons. Once broken in they are really comfortable and good for 25 miles a day easy.
2 people like this
• United States
21 Feb 07
Wow...thanks for the advice. Hopefully I won't be going 25 miles a day in them, but as a city dweller I do walk alot. Could you tell me a little more about the waterproofing process? I guess that will be the next step once they are broken in.
• United States
22 Feb 07
Wow! This is amaxing! That you so much for all the information. I want these boots to last for a long time and with your adivice I know they will. Thanks too for taking the time to type all that out for me. I'm also going to pass it along to my boyfriend who also just got a new pair. I'm very grateful!
@krebstar5 (1266)
• United States
21 Feb 07
Please come back to this discussion and let us know how it goes. I've been dying for a new pair of Docs myself because my pair from junior high (I'm just about 27 now) may finally have been worn down too much to keep them. The problem is that I've been worried about having to wear them in. If this works though, I might just give in and get myself a nice new pair.
1 person likes this