What causes thread veins?

Slovak Republic
February 26, 2007 12:53am CST
I developed a couple of thread veins on my legs, in my twenties. I wonder if anyone knew of the cause. Is it just thin skin? genetics? poor circulation? I don't think it was weight gain, as I am not that big at that time. I know a beauty therapist who does laser surgery and wondered if that was the best method for removal.
1 person likes this
1 response
• United States
26 Feb 07
my mother always used to tell me that crossing your legs at the knee is a cause of thread veins. your supposed to cross your legs at the ankle instead. "There are various descriptions of these small veins, which often do burst or break just under the skin surface - these are known as 'thread veins', 'spider veins', 'flare veins' and 'capillary veins'. They tend to occur more commonly on the cheeks, nose and legs. The tiny ones tend to be red in colour, but when larger they appear to look purplish. These small veins are present in everyone but are not normally visible until they expand and show through the skin. There are various reasons why they become more visible - one of these can be too much sun over the years, another is pregnancy. They may also be an inherited problem, being more obvious after mid-life because the skin has become thinner and some of the under skin layers are absorbed during later life with the veins becoming more obviously exposed. Often this type of vein will appear alongside varicose veins of one sort or another, and people who develop the thread veins have examples of other types of varicose veins in other areas because both types of vein appearance are probably caused by the same factors. Up to 20 per cent of the adult population have varicose veins, and many know of other family members with the same problem. Environmental factors - such as standing - does tend to aggravate the condition on the lower limbs. Diet may also be a factor, although factors such as puberty, pregnancy and the menopause also affect the course of the condition. " this info found at: http://www.ivillage.co.uk/print/0,,182480,00.html see your doctor do determine the exact problem your having, he/she will be able to tell you the best method for treating them.