Childhood Obesity are school lunches to blame?

United States
April 12, 2007 7:29am CST
Do you feel that our schools are contributing Childhood Obesity at the primary level? Just wondering what your thoughts and feelings are on this issue? I have to say that I think it is a real problem because our school uses so many processed foods. They also count potato's as a veggie. They make many other poor veggie choices such as corn, peas, and baked beans. They do not have very many fresh fruits or veggies. MOst of that is due in to cost. So what do you think?
3 responses
@Modestah (11179)
• United States
12 Apr 07
the school lunches are laden with fat and starches, yes, I agree with you that they share in the blame of childhood obesity. For instance take a peanut butter sandwich - they have to use a 1/4 cup of peanut butter on it! that is enough for several sandwiches! gag. Also, the meal is too big at school lunch - then the kids go home and eat a big meal for dinner.
1 person likes this
• United States
12 Apr 07
I also see it day in and day out. When they do have a choice of something healthy they will pick french fries over it 90% of the time. This blows my mind too I would say 75% of the kids do not know the differance between a fruit and a veggie. Where do you learn this? I would say at home, and the poor lil sweeties are clueless.
@misheleen73 (6037)
• United States
12 Apr 07
I don't think it's all the problem. They eat pretty much what was on my lunch schedule when I was a kid too. They do however, lack in Physical Education. When I was growing up, we had P.E. all year round and it was hard. We had to do so much. Now they have P.E. maybe twice a week for 30min. They also have less free play time outside at school. Being in a winter climate (just got 6inches of snow yesterday YUCK !!) doesn't help any either. Then they get home and want to veg out watching TV or playing video games. You see less and less kids riding bikes around, skatind, etc. I know parents are worried about their kids safety more now too. If they can't be there to watch them, they must stay inside. And with both parents working, coming home, cooking dinner, etc. It gets harder and harder to watch them outside.
1 person likes this
• United States
12 Apr 07
I can remeber spending my life outside when I was a kid. We had this huge bell in our back yard and my parents would ring it when they wanted us home. If you didn't hea the bell your were in big trouble. This meant one of two things you were either too far from home, or you were inside. Big no no we had to ask first. Now a days you have to know where your kids are 24/7. The world has changed. I do think now a days there are much more organized sports. Back when I was a kid you had a neighborhood kick ball game. Take care Mish! Rhonda
@inked4life (4224)
• United States
12 Apr 07
I look at my kids lunch schedule and it's all chicken nuggets, pizza and hamburgers but I think thats only a small part of the problem. The TV, computer, video game generation has kids stuck in front of the television way too much instead of being outside playing and getting exercise. Also, with a lot of families having both parents working it's just too easy to go the fast food rout rather than make nutritional meal choices.
1 person likes this
• United States
12 Apr 07
Your so right both of my boys get what we call the winter puge. Now that the weather is starting to get better they will work it all off. I forgot to add hehehheh I'm a lunch lady at my kids school. I totally stopped eating any and all food from school and I know that has helped me lose 18 pounds. That food just seems to pack on the pounds. This is really sad too we have to appky for grants from the state so we can afford to get fresh produce. I think the system really needs to change. Thanks for your thoughts! Rhonda