Anyone got suggestions on how to stop nail biting?

I've been a die hard nail biter since i was four years old. And, I've tried to stop so many times. It's an ugly habit, I already know that. It doesn't make my hands feel good either. Maybe it's a compulsion. I just can't stop biting them. I mean it's not that I bite my nails every second of the day, just maybe once or twice a day. But, they're all gone. Any ideas on how to not bite nails...some product you've used before or suggestion would be most helpful. Thanks.
@jovimom (1576)
I actually bought a bottle of stuff that looks like nail polish but is supposed to make you not bite your nails. It tastes awful and it definitely works to keep you from biting them, but once you taste it then you don't want to put it back on your fingers because you know you'll chew them again! So I guess it's not strong enough to stop the urge....I bite the sides of my fingers more than my actual nails and it makes my hands so sore I can't stand to touch things sometimes, it's just a bad habit I've had as long as I can remember...
My fingers get so sore sometimes, when I bite them too much. I think it's just stress related for me. I'm going to work on controlling the stress and finding new outlets. I've begun dieting lately, so maybe I'm just not getting enough vitamins. Thanks for taking the time to post a helpful suggestion.
@jovimom (1576)
You are very welcome! I stay stressed so I know mine is stress related too. I worry too much about every little thing!
@klystron635 (1519)
Nail biting is one of my worst mannerism ever. I understand you because I had the same situation once. The first thing that I do is to find a nail paint that tastes really bitter. I apply it to my nails and whenever I bite my nails I taste the nail paint and it makes me go "Phew! Phew!" From that moment on I always put nail paint until I am used to not biting my nails anymore. Right now I don't have anything on my nails but I just stopped biting it. Ow! I still bite it once in a while especially when I get scared.
I am going to try the bitter nail paint. I had thought about putting perfume directly on my fingertips, cause I know that has a bitter taste. But, this might work out better. Perfume would wash off, but nail paint wouldn't. Thanks for your ideas. I'll check them out, and post back the results.
It worked for me and I hope it will for you. I'll wait for your response.
The best way I found was to wear nailpolish. You're less likely to bite your nails when you are wearing nail polish because you don't want the polish to chip, and come off, when you bite your nail. I'm a bad nailbiter, and that seemed to work for me.
You know, when I was pregnant, I had the most amazingly beautiful nails. Course, it's not like I'm going to get pregnant again to enjoy beautiful nails. But, I think it had more to do with the prenatal vitamins, or the lack of stress. I don't know which one. I may start taking the prenatals again, which are high in Vitamin B (essential for stress management) and paint my nails to boot! Nail painting, now theres something you can't do when you're pregnant. LOL! Thanks for your post. Much appreciated.
Have your fingernails professionally manicured! And you should do your feet while you're at it, having the colors match and everything. Make sure you pay for it yourself. I stopped in a second after I shelled out like $50 for getting a manicure and pedicure and there was NO way I was going to ruin it by biting after that! Haha :)
I work with special needs kids. Learning and behavior problems. One little girl who sees a therapist weekly made a special bracelet with her therapist. It was just beads strung on stretchy plastic. Her therapist told her that if she wanted to bite her nails, instead she should touch the bracelet. I have also heard that to break a bad habit you should wear a rubber band and snap your wrist when you had an urge to do that habit. Aversion therapy, just like nasty tasting nail paint.Most behaviorists will tell you that you do not break habits, you just replace a bad habit with another, less bad habit. Maybe you could get a gorgeous manicure, and then make a stylish bracelet that you could touch. Snap it if you get really bad. I think taking the vitamins is a good move as well. If they are growing, and pretty, you will think twice before chewing them up.