An Interesting day at the Park

We bought season passes to Magic Springs/Crystal Falls Amusement and Water Park here in my town. It's a small park with a couple of dozen rides and a fairly decent sized water park with several large slides, a wave pool and a "lazy river" where you just get on an inner tube and float down the stream. My youngest daughter works there as well. Today, I took Lauren to work and decided to go spend a few hours at the pool, playing in the waves and riding some of the rides. While in the dressing room, changing into my bathing suit, I heard a huge boom...and all the lights went out. It was a bit frightening, but the emergency lights quickly came on. I went outside, and began to hear people talking and pointing. As I looked at what they were pointing at, I notice one of the roller coasters has stopped in mid-air with people inside of it-upside down. It was 40 minutes before they were able to get those poor people off of that ride. There had been a wreck a few miles from the park, someone hit a telephone pole, breaking the lines, and somehow it managed to blow a transformer. (the loud bang). Needless to say, with nothing working, I didn't stay long today. but next week is another day, but I don't think I'll be riding the x-coaster anytime soon! What would you do if you were stuck upside down?
@mi2ok02 (406)
I would pray! Sounds like a great park otherwise. My gracious, this would have been something I would never want to do again if I ever got stuck on a ride and upside down, none the less! Sounds like this park needs to do something about the power line and how their park is supplied!
Did you hear that we made David Letterman's Top 10? It was great. The park has it's own system, but evidently there was some kind of power surge that caused two of their huge fuses to blow. It's never happened before in the 20 years they've been open.
I would shut my eyes and do a lot of deep breathing. I am not a roller coaster person, so something strange would already have happened to get me on one. I hate being out of control. I would consciously will myself to relax, as my real desire would be to struggle, and grab on and tense up, and my logical mind knows how ineffective that would be. If someone was near enough, I probably would make chit chat. I know I would pray, and I would pray aloud for those around me to try to keep them calm and quiet as well. I would also probably joke around, as I do that when I am nervous. I would love to enjoy the water park part more than the rides.
I love the water park. That's where I spend most of my time. Someone at church yesterday commented on the fact that I already had a nice brown tan YEA!
@Sherry12 (2475)
How awful for those people, 40 minutes must have seemed like hours to them. I would be scared stuck upside down. But then they'd have a hard time getting me on a roller coaster anyway. I don't like rides that go up high or turn me upside down.
I remember my brother and a friend of his getting stuck at the top of a ferris wheel at the state fair one year a long time ago. They were up there for about 10 minutes but it seemed like forever to my mom and i.
@aprilgrl (4460)
Oh my what a day you had. I don't think I would ride it anytime soon either. It sure must be a very stong (bad) wreck to do all that damaging. I am glad that you wasn't on that ride. I have rode a ride that was stuck just for a few minutes and it scared me. Thanks for sharing your day.
the power company said it was a chain reaction that caused transformers and huge fuses to blow.
Um... Scream and b*tch like hell until they get me off that ride.
You know I was really surprised that not more people were upset when they got off. There were one or two, but everyone else was laughing and taking it in stride.