The Story Hour

@Modestah (11192)
What were your favorite books to read as a child? I remember as a very young child reading over and over the Anderson fairytales (my mother's book when she was a child) and before I could read them I just looked at the illustrations and daydreamed. I especially liked the thumblelina story. I also had her grimms fairytales but they were not quite so happy and lovely as Hans Christiaan Anderson's. About age 9 my mother bought me the little house series and thus begun my love of reading after I devoured those she bought me the nancy drew mysteries. my 11 yo takes after me on these she has read the little house series about 6 times through now and her favorite mystery books over and over again (a dozen of the happy holisters books - a family of sleuths)
@aprilgrl (4460)
I remember the Cat in the Hat books. Little house on the praire was my favorite books I would sit down and read it for hours.
@Modestah (11192)
those cat in the hat books were sure memorable! left foot right foot feet feet feet how many many feet you meet. up in the air feet over a chair feet more and more feet Twenty-four feet! but his illustrations bothered me for some reason.
@vonne28th (1494)
Aside of reading any other books,i also love to read fairy tale books just like you. My grandfather from abroad sent me a one big box full of fairy tale books coz i told him before that i love to read fairy tale books,and so he sent me and most of them are mystery books. I really enjoyed reading it.
@Modestah (11192)
sounds like a very thoughtful and loving grandfather you have!
@vonne28th (1494)
Yes, he's truly is. And he's one of the greates treasures i have.
@Fishmomma (11373)
I loved to read the Perry Mason Books and solve the case before Perry. It was fun to look at the clues and always wanted to question the suspects. My favorite children's book was Heidi, which I have read many times.
@Modestah (11192)
oh, thank you for the response, I will have to look into finding some of the perry mason books for my daughter, she so loves a good mystery or detective book. She has been checking out the Nancy Drew books from the library and as I mentioned she loves the happy holister books, but she is getting older for them I reckon.
@KarenO52 (2951)
I remember the first book I read, it was the Adventures of Peter Cottontail. It was a big book, and it had a lot of stories in it about Peter and his friends. I liked the fairy tales too, and Heidi. I enjoyed reading Little Women, and the sequels.
@misheleen73 (6037)
I also remember having the fairy tales book. It was wonderful. I also loved the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis. I did read the Nancy Drew myseteries and Hardy Boys. I actually had the whole hard cover series. A shame I don't know what became of them. I was also weird in the fact that I started reading Ernest Hemmingway and loved his books. My favorite being The Old Man and The Sea. Also had those books in hardcover. I think they were ruined by water damage. My eldest only reads non fiction and my youngest loves the Magic Treehouse series.