Devotional for Thursday, August 9th, 2007

Matthew 6:2-4 (The Message Bible) "When you do something for someone else, don't call attention to yourself. You've seen them in action, I'm sure—'playactors' I call them— treating prayer meeting and street corner alike as a stage, acting compassionate as long as someone is watching, playing to the crowds. They get applause, true, but that's all they get. When you help someone out, don't think about how it looks. Just do it—quietly and unobtrusively. That is the way your God, who conceived you in love, working behind the scenes, helps you out." There are four words in the English Language that when strung together to make a sentence can strike fear in every parent's heart. Those words are: "Hey Ya'll---Watch this" I remember my daughter saying those exact words when she was eight years old and at Girl Scout Camp: just before she tried to do some kind of fancy turn around jump-backwards & flip into the swimming pool. She still has a small scar where her chin hit the concrete and required 5 stitches. This past weekend, we met a family, while camped out in the ICU waiting room with my grandmother. Their 21 year old son, had been diving off into the swimming hole, like kids in that area had been doing for generations. While climbing out to the edge, his foot slipped, and he fell 25 feet and landed on the rock wall underneath. After meeting this remarkable young man, I can't help but wonder if he had ever uttered those 4 words before jumping! Being the mother of teenagers...my suspicion is YES! Though being a teenager is usually filled with times of "Hey ya'll watch this" moments, Christ actually warned us about having this kind of attitudes in our Christian walk! If you really think about it, not only do we know someone who is always looking for recognition in what he does for others, but we've all probably been guilty of it ourselves! We want someone to notice when we do a good job. It's human nature! You know what's even more fun though? When you see a need in the lives of your fellow man, and you follow the example of the scriptures. You do what needs to be done in secret. Then step back and watch the joy that overcomes the person that you've done the deed for!
@Feona1962 (7527)
I did do this very thing last night and today the joy in this person's voice was so worth it. It made me feel good. I like to help others, but I don't want anything in return. I do it because I deeply care about others feelings..
That is the way we should be. doing it in private. I love to surprise others with a special treat. I have a hard time getting around my secretary, but love to catch her out of the office and leave small presents on her desk. It makes her day...and mine.
Oh, those look at me moments.I know a few who are like that, even as adults. I hope I never am.
We all should strive not to. But we are human. And it's hard not to want some kind of recognition when we do something good. Unfortunately for me, when I've tried to call attention to myself, is usually when I end up flat on my face.
@suspenseful (40314)
I remember an incident over thirty years ago when I was in Lynn Valley, that is a park in North Vancouver, B.C. Canada. There was this body of a young girl who had jumped off the ledge to go into the stream below. The lady that was with me said that nothing could be done and for me to get away from looking at her. The girl was so pale as we watched the rescuers bring up her body. There was also another incident when a car passed our car, I was with my husband, our boys were barely six months only, and that car passed as if to say, "watch me! The cops won't pass me. I can go faster than the speed limit!" We had to stop for lunch and a few minutes later, we saw the same car in the ditch and by the look of the police cars and ambulance, there was nothing that could be done for the former driver and passengers. So that attitude is bad for adults as well as for silly young girls who think they are good divers.
This is true. Kids just think they're untouchable. They don't want to think about their own mortality. There are enough times when accidents happen on their own without us trying to add to them. My kids seem to be acting much more careful around water after this boys accident.
@flowerchilde (12534)
..this is so true! And just like the bible says.. if you do a good deed, or when you do something nice, don't blow a trumpet before you , i.e. about it! Indeed don't let your left hand even know what your right is doing.. Ah yes, don't desire the chief seats.. don't say "thank you Lord that I'm not a sinner like that person over there.." A sorta clean up your own back yard! yep don't worry about the condition of your neighbors heart, but about the condition of your own.. - once years ago, I noticed when the paster named the next scripture reference in his message, every one rushed to find the page.. yes a race was on to see who would get there first, proving, I suppose, who was the one who most studies their bible.. Of course I was right along, doing the same thing.. til I noticed it! Then I stopped and just leisurely leafed my way to the next references.. and others came to their senses too. Phew! what a burden competing can be.. I can speak in tongues more than you... I pray longer and harder.. crazy stuff ya know..(But, I feel the Lord let me know, when I was feeling a bit resentful of a sister's aLways one upping me in conversation - it actually stems from feelings of inadequacy, overcompensation, ya know.) I also have learned when in conversation to add to the thoughts using "and" not "but".. Like "it's nice today" and answering "and it was nice yesterday" rather than "but it was nice yesterday" - I'm babbling.. it's late.. :)
It's ok...babble all you want. I know how you feel. I teach the little ones at our church on Wednesday nights. I see them rushing to get in front of each other when I asked someone to do something. I tell them to slow down, let someone else help, your turn will come next.