I'm feeling old today...

@alamode (3073)
My grandson was recently sworn in to the Air Force, and I am feeling proud, concerned, and old. Our youngest daughter married an Air Force 20-year man, and he will retire next year. They have lived all over the world, and luckily for us, were only 300-odd miles away from us for three assignments. We have really been excited about them coming home... they would be within 100 miles for a change, and for good! Now their son, who will graduate next year, has enlisted. He is very proud to have been sworn in by a member of the AF Thunderbirds Flight Team. But... to me, he's still my Pooter, who loved the number nine and teriyaki noodles. The little guy who let me rest my chin on his head until 2 years ago... now he rests his chin on mine! Who was a bit of a hellion, and who is now smart and kind and responsible. Who has a girlfriend who is like the other half of him... he chose wisely! I know his parents are going through all this soul-searching themselves, finding the part within themselves that says this is all okay, he will do well, he's an adult and his independent life is beginning. We're probably ALL feeling old right now.
@pumpkinjam (6886)
You might be feeling old but I think your pride outweighs that. I can feel it eminating from my computer screen! He sounds like a very nice young man and I hope he continues to do you and his parents proud. Maybe in another 20 years, there will be another generation of your family in the Air Force!
@alamode (3073)
I believe you're right... it just struck me, two weeks after the fact, how grown up he is, and shook my foundations a bit! The Air Force has been good for them, in spite of the fact that there is a lot of separation. His Dad has been to the Middle East three times, but they have had support for the family, and they have good friends. I need to stop being such a GRAMMA! Thank you!
Im proud of you. You could see your grandchildrens and their good jobs.enjoy life.
@alamode (3073)
Thank you... he's a wonderful young man... I just didn't see it coming, and it was a bit of a shock! He's very happy and excited now, and thrilled to see what life has in store for him. I can only be happy for him now!
@cher913 (25865)
i hear ya! for me that moment was when my daughter graduated from grade 8 (she is in grade 9 this year) and also i have some days that i feel very old due to knee issues and walking with a cane!
@alamode (3073)
Oh! Another member of the CaneClub! There are lots of us... I've used one for about 3 years now. I'm trying to wean myself off... medication is helping, and exercise. I have several of those 'old' points... when my youngest got married was a big one! Losing my Pop was another. It makes you stop and realize that time is passing... enjoy what you have right now!
@Zhanec (1652)
lol..its ok to be old when you have so many happy memories in u,isn't that so?I'm feeling old too actually..even though I'm just in my early twenties.Seeing my parents aging days by days do actually freak me out.No ,i'm not saying that they are going to be troublesome for getting old.I get worried of their health.ah..i'm sorry for typing all of these irrelevant words.
@alamode (3073)
Nothing is irrelevant... we all have worries and fears, no matter what our ages! I know my kids worry about Hun and me when we get older, as I worried about my parents. I have this one stumbling block left... adjusting to the fact that my 'grandbabies' are growing up... after that, I will be fine, until I start worrying about my GREAT-grandchildren!LOL!
@writersedge (22577)
My husband is a retired AF veteran of 20 years also, so I have something in common with your duaghter. How wonderful that they will be coming home! And to think, I feel old because my cat is 11. Two generations of Air Force Military. My husband's Dad and sister were Army. My husband kept military planes in good working order. Glad your son-in-law will be retiring. Having a grandson go in must feel like deja vu. It's scary right now with a war going on. I wish him safety. Remember the Beverly Hillbillies? "What happens when you get to be over the hill Granny?" "You go up the side of the next one and just keep on going!" Here's wishing you better hills. Take care
@alamode (3073)
Thanks, my friend... as long as those are small hills, I'll just keep chuggin' along! Hun was also Air Force... Air Police and dog handler the same as our son-in-law, so it really HAS been deja vu! But he wanted to fly, so took the civilian route to his career in aviation. He flew until his diabetes stopped him, and he's still building engines for light aircraft... he SAYS he's retiring, but he can't sit still... he would go mad and take me with him!LOL!!