Can anyone tell me the safest way to clean my monitor?

I have a laptop computer and the monitor REALLY needs cleaning. I am so afraid to clean it because I have heard that one can really mess up their computer if it isn't done correctly. With what do I clean this monitor?
Crazynurse I use a lamb skin sham, a good electronics cleaner and I spray the sham not the monitor. We actually have people who bring their monitors (LCD flat panels) and laptops in to the shop, pay 50.00 (our service charge) to have them cleaned they are so afraid to do it themselves. Just remember to use gentle pressure. It takes a good push on the screen to harm it, but there is no reason you can not do this yourself.
Oh yeah one more tip.. clean it with it powered off, the black screen is so much easier to see. Dirt, streaks show up better.
It is funny to read the contradictory responses. I have also heard that you should use a microfiber cleaning cloth.I am sure anything sold at the electronics stores would be suitable. I am going to keep all of this in mind.
It sounds as if whatever is safe to use on my specially coated lenses in my glasses is safe to use on my computer screen.
Yep now you get the picture :))) That is so true :))
@Modestah (11192)
oh good question Crazynurse, and I will be looking at the answers you get - I was just saying about my own monitor how badly it needs to be cleaned - but like you I am a little intimidated to do it!
@Grandmaof2 (7603)
I use nothing but wipes especially meant for computers. I also clean my keys with them. I also have a laptop and I will never own anything else.
@shymurl (2767)
they have wipes at walmart that you can use to safely clean them. I have used windex with a soft paper towel and everything is still good.