Do you raise a garden?

@KKKBsmom (1093)
My oldest daughter and I just bought all the pods to start our garden for this spring and summer!!! We are both excited. I am not going to do it myself for a change! LOL I have not raised a garden for two years because no one will help me and i hate pulling weeds!!! I think I am going to get a lot of plastic and put down to try and keep the weeds down! Do you raise a garden? What do you do to keep the weeds down? and what do you plant??? I really would like to know what all you plant!
@mansha (6301)
I used to have potted plants and gardens before I had kids. Every place we used to move to I used to plant pots and trees and anything as per the space I had. After kids the amount of my plants has come down to just two - I feel so cruel as I hardly ever get time to look at them. I just keep watering them and giving them manure off and on. But they stay as a symbol of my hope that one day again I will be gardening along with my kids just like you.Meanwhile I find pleasure by looking at the flowers my neighbour keeps planting at her house. Here's a picture for you of her flowers
@kimbers867 (2540)
Bob has such a green thumb and is already planning this year's garden. We usually grow Zucchini (have great luck with them), cukes, tomatoes, green beans, strawberries and blackberries. This year he invested in Earth Boxes, goggle it, LOL. So he wants to try corn. We are also going to grow lettuce, haven't done that in a while. I think he is going to do cantalopes again, we usually don't get too many. This is along with our 4 apple trees that usually produce pretty good. Last year was a great year for them but we weren't home so we will probably not have a great year with them this year. It seems like the years they do very well we have something happen that we can't keep up with them. I think we also have a pear and a peach tree. LOL Bob also invested in a green house, he has to put it together because he wants to try growing banana and some other things. So he has been researching to see what will grow here in Maryland.
@KKKBsmom (1093)
Kim the earth boxes he is talking about... are the $40 each??? I am so confused!!! I did find this and thought it was interesting! josho.com/gardening.htm I think is the right site I was at?!?!
Y - I forwarded your email to Bob for him to look at the link. Yeah, I know they are expensive, he got some kind of deal on them. Thankfully. I'm just hoping they work.
came from a line of people with green thumb. we just love gardening -- plants. our house is like a little house in the prairie. lots of flowers, and lots of vegetables. we grow our own veggies. we have lots of tropical plant. lots of hanging plants. We do weed-check every sundays only. And we have to get rid of all of it in one day.
@KKKBsmom (1093)
that sounds like a lot of fun!
@aseretdd (13736)
My small family live in an small apartment located at the third floor of a building... so there is just no room for even a small garden... even one that can be put in a box... so my husband and i decided to just have those fortune plants/bamboo plants that we can put on the table... it is not much... but at least we have something green and with leaves to look at everyday... Goodluck on you garden...
@KKKBsmom (1093)
wow... I don't know how anyone could live in a apartment.. sorry.
• Atlantic City, New Jersey
I have just recently purchased my first home and am looking forward to gardening season as this will be my first try at the art of gardening. Any tips or clues as to where I should begin being as I am a novice at this?
@KKKBsmom (1093)
hope you have fun with your new home and being able to grow stuff!!! Having your own place is always wonderful!
@Chey1970 (1193)
For the last 3 years me and my husband have raised a garden, but we haven't done it the technical way. What we have done is buy the big pots that you buy trees in, and planted our garden in them. Setting the pots out on our back patio. So far we have grown tomatoes, bell peppers, hot pepers, and even strawberries this way. The main reason we have done it this way, is cause we didn't want to dig up the back yard, for we plan on selling the house here in about 5 years. But it also keeps us from having to go out and pull weeds too.
@KKKBsmom (1093)
I have heard those kind of gardens! We actually have a big garden spot in the very back of our yard... it has been a weed patch for two years! LOL
@stephcjh (32327)
We didn't have a garden last year but i plan to this year. There is nothing like a good fresh tomato. I put down roundup and plastic also to keep down on the weeds. We usually plant, tomatoes, green onions, and peppers. We have a small yard or I would plant more than that like, weatermelon, pumkins, corn, green beans, potaoes and more.
@Ldyjarhead (10157)
I did a couple of years ago, but haven't since due to divorce, moving, etc. I did most of the weeding and it sure was a chore! We're renting right now and there's no place for a garden, but I do have several large pots (where the kitties have destroyed the other plants, but that's in other discussions). Maybe I'll try a couple of things in a container. Hard to imagine gardening right now when its cold and snowing in Ohio.
Yes. Already I have been writing about it and other garden saw through time.
@saundyl (9686)
I keep a veggie garden and a flower garden (the flower garden also has my strawberries in) for weeding in the spring i have my garden "worked" once to kill the weeds. When they start coming up again I spray roundup on them and a week later have it worked again. Then i plant my garden. During the summer time i rototiller between the rows of plants and use the hoe to get close to the plants with out damaging them. After that I sit in the garden and pull weeds out of each row. I've found that I have fewer and fewer weeds each year in it the more work i do on it the previous year.