Woo-Hoo!! Wal-Mart Backs Down From Lawsuit!!

@anniepa (27280)
Finally a victory for David versus Goliath! After weeks of horrible publicity retail giant Wal-Mart, who made over $11 billion in profits last year has dropped their lawsuit again former employee Deborah Shank for $417,000. http://www.crooksandliars.com/2008/04/01/wal-mart-backs-down-drops-draconian-reimbursement-case/ Thanks to Keith Olbermann, who named Wal-Mart as the "Worse Person in the World" since he first reported the story last week, MSNBC, CNN, The Miami Herald, The Chicago Tribune, Women's Wear Daily and other media outlets not to mention hundreds of thousands of blogs and e-mail messages and maybe even a drop off in business, Wal-Mart execs finally saw the light earlier today. With all the Shank family has gone through this may at least help them to sleep a little better tonight and give them some peace of mind. Chalk one up for the good guys! Annie
@sid556 (30989)
good! I am so not a fan of Walmart. They are like a big bully. They move into town and use really low prices to force others out of business. Then once they accomplish that...they raise their prices back up. they treat their help poorly and the public poorly. I actually don't do much business at all with walmart.
@anniepa (27280)
There was a discussion here on myLot before this story broke about the Shank family about how Wal-Mart has been converting many of their stores to "Super Wal-Marts" then as soon as they do that their prices have gone up. I've seen that happen at the Wal-Mart near me. They are the big bully who has put so many locally owned businesses under it's sad. Annie
@sid556 (30989)
and sadly we are the ones that let them do this. when the walmart came here...i refused to go. everyone was so excited about it and I had already done some reading up on this company. I saw how this story was going to play out and it has. In the years that it has been here...i have been in there only a handful of times and only when I need products that I can't get nearby elsewhere only cuz they put all the competition out of biz. They hire handicapped people to make themselves "look good" but then they take advantage and pay them lousy and treat them lousy. Walmart started out good and with good intent but greed has taken over. If everyone refused to shop there, they would be forced to reconsider their prioritys.
@lisan23 (444)
While I'm glad that they got their money back, I'm a little frustrated with the Wal-Mart bashing. What I think people fail to realize is that Wal-Mart is NOT the only company doing this to their employees. (It almost happened to me when I worked for Sprint and was in an auto accident.) MANY major corporations abuse their employees and take advantage of them. (Sprint also let me know that my health benefits ended on March 31st 2005 on April 15th 2005. I had my daughter on April 1st 2005 so NOTHING was covered. I fought them tooth and nail but ended up footing the cost.) These types of things happen all the time, I think people need to back off Wal-Mart a bit, or either start boycotting their cell phone company, home phone company, TV service company, etc.
@Savvynlady (3685)
Well, I am glad that the lawsuit was dropped because to me, that is a just petty. But somehow, I felt somehow that this would be dropped. I am glad for the lady and wish her and her family the best.
Oh what a terrible man he is..With all the money Wal-Mart reeks in they are butting in on what that poor employee is gonna get..If I were there in the US I wouldn't buy from them again because they put in a bad name for their store. I bet if they did some good to others they will get more customers..This bad publicity they did won't do them any good. I feel sorry for Deborahs family but I am glad wal-mart backs down.
@Trace86 (5033)
That is amazingly wonderful news! I am so glad that this family will, hopefully, have enough money to take care of this poor woman for the rest of her life. I am not sure that I can forgive Walmart though. That they even considered suing a brain-damaged woman and her family is reprehensible. Well done everyone who emailed everyone they know and boycotted Walmart.
@anniepa (27280)
I second that - thanks to everyone who read about it hear and spread the word in any way. A little bit goes a long ways and I think that's been proven. Annie
@inked4life (4226)
This is great news. I was watching this story on CNN the other dat ans was apalled that Wal-Mart went through with this. I realize that it was in the contract that they could legaly claim the money back if she received a settlement, but come on....have a heart. It wouldhave been a horrible PR move if they had continued to pursue this
@anniepa (27280)
That what I was saying in an earlier discussion on this topic, before Wal-Mart backed down; just because something is legal doesn't mean it's morally right. Annie
@Rozie37 (15499)
• Turkmenistan
Yipeeeee, I remember this story from Mylot like last week I commented on it. It is good to know that they have backed down. This lady needed a break. She has been through hell. She needs all the help and support she can get. Thanks for sharing the good news Annie.
@slickcut (8141)
I am so happy that justice prevailed,but you can bet Walmart is not loosing anything..I am so happy that someone took a stand against them suckers..I use to work there and trust me that will suck you dry,they treat their employees like dirt and they finally had to do the right thing...People probably wonder why the empoyees can be so nice when they are treated so bad....Well i am so happy that they FINALLY was forced to do something RIGHT...All i can say is "Thank God".....
@jenni7202 (1598)
That is great news! I'm glad they finally backed down. I didn't think they would though, since they are a bunch of greedy....Yeah I think you know what I mean! I work for the company, and they don't care about the employees, in fact, there's a man that had a heart attack in our store that works there, and they told him that if he can't do the same job he used to do, then they wouldn't need him anymore. Last time I checked, according to Wal-Mart policy, if a employee is hurt in Wal-Mart, and needs care, they can't lose their job, as it becomes a Workman's Comp case, and they are moved to a department in the store that they are able to work, such as door greeter or answering phones. Wal-Mart loves to make their own rules, and they are pretty good at getting away with it as well.
@enola1692 (3325)
Alright this was great to read Can't wait to tell my daughter she came home from school wanted to protest about walmart
@rup011 (726)
Thats great! Now Wal-Mart will see rise in sales. It was a clever approach.
@ersmommy1 (12596)
Hot digitty! Alright! A true shame that it took publicity and a financial hit for Walmart to do the decent thing.But I guess that's where they live,in the bank.
That is wonderful news. I couldn't believe they were going through with it. I mean, I know they legally could, but just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. So glad to hear it!
@chunter (1761)
That is definitely a piece of great news for Shank and the family. Just goes to show that there are many good people in this world who will help to do justice where justice is due. Walmart makes it sounds good that they are backing off for the sake of Shank but we all know that it is due to the bad publicity that they have received that forced them to
@tentwo67 (3384)
I am so glad to hear that! It's shameful that they even pursued it at all but I'm glad they had the good sense to back off. That poor woman and her family. I'm glad that they no longer have to worry about this.
yah I heard bits and peices about that what was walmart thinking? seriously. I bet Sam is rolling over in his grave right about now saying " this is not how I wanted my company run " When Sam was alive Walmart was a good place you didn't hear about this and that like now.
@stephcjh (32327)
Well, that is great to hear. It is about time it got settled out. It is about time a good person wins. That is very rare these days and I always welcome to hear about it. I hope their family cvan be at peace now and relax also.
@Samanthavv (1383)
Woohoo! Down with walmart! I don't really support them. I'm not boycotting them, because sometimes I HAVE to buy stuff there, but I don't condone what they do. There's so much controversy revolving around walmart. It's terrible.