I was in better shape than I thought

@reinydawn (11649)
Over the weekend, I did my first Training Walk for the Breast Cancer 3 Day walk in October. I'll be walking 60 miles over 3 days to raise money for Susan G Komen for the Cure. I usually walk every day, about 2-3 miles, so I'm not totally out of shape. I need to work on my endurance so last weekend I decided to walk for a couple hours and see how it goes. We have a great park here that has a bike/walking trail so I'll be going there for my training. I walked 6.9 miles in an hour and 40 minutes. When I was done I felt like I could do it again, but I wanted to see how my body would react to that lenghth of a walk. I was a little sore, and I think it would have been worse if I didn't have a hottub to soak in. I'm going to be doing this same walk every weekend, and in July I'll increase it to the 14 miles. I'm hoping I do well with the training and the walk. I'll keep everyone posted!
It is good to have someone give practical advice on training. I think I could copy this, except for the hot tub, which i do not have. You are going to keep up the good habits for a lifetime, right?
@reinydawn (11649)
I have walked almost every day for the past 15 years or so. I usually do at least 2 miles a day, but am back up to 3 again. It's the only exercise I get, so I walk as much as possible. It's easy and it's free! I do plan to continue to do the 3-day walk each year that it's held close to me. I'll find out in October I think about where the next year will be held.
@terri0824 (4991)
That's awesome that you do the walk for Susan G Komen for the Cure. Also a great thing that you are training for it and increasing it gradually. Remember to drink plenty of water or whatever you drink to keep hydrated especially during the hot summer months!
@reinydawn (11649)
They have an outline of how to gradually get up to the walking strength and I'm kinda following that. I bought a hip pack for my water/snacks and it's working out great. I'm really looking forward to the walk, although the fundraising is not going as fast as I'd like it to!