Are you allergic to Chinese take-out or Chinese recipes and food?

United States
June 3, 2008 10:09am CST
Awhile back a friend of mine told me that she was allergic to Chinese take-out. And, I'm not even sure if that's possible. Do you think it's possible for someone to be allergic to an entire category of dishes, ranging from rice and noodles to beef and shrimp? Do you think it's possible that there's a mystery ingredient that she is allergic to? Maybe some type of spice or seasoning? I wouldn't even know the name of such a spice, so any help on this would be great. I was just wondering, maybe it's something new they're using in Chinese dishes. What's your thoughts on this? Do you think it's just a seafood allergy?
1 person likes this
3 responses
3 Jun 08
What symptoms does she get with the allergy? I don't eat Chinese food because it gives me stomach problems. I won't elaborate further! Perhaps it's the same with your friend?
• United States
3 Jun 08
I think she told me that she got hives once, shortly after eating it. But, she said it could have been from something else. She's really allergic to almost everything. So, I was hoping that I could track down the root cause. I thought maybe it was a mystery spice or ingredient that they use. I can't be sure. I will have to ask her again.
2 people like this
@GardenGerty (133159)
• United States
3 Jun 08
She may be allergic to MSG, which some restaurants use, as a flavor enhancer. She could be sensitive to sea food, or shell fish. Another thought is that if she has peanut allergies, anything in the restaurant could be contaminated with peanuts, as they use peanut oil a lot.
• United States
14 Jun 08
I believe you are right. It is scary the stuff they use in restaurants. Thanks for all your info.
@MichaelJay (1100)
11 Jun 08
I have a friend who loves Chinese food but established a long time ago that she was reacting badly to monosodium glutamate (MSG) which is used as a flavour enhancer in many foods but particularly Chinese. Although she doesn't drink she would wake in the morning after eating Chineses ith hat he described as a hangover. She thought the stuff made her a bit hyper, too, and wouldn't let her kids eat it for that reason.