An Earthquake Is Coming To Southern California!!!!!

@Rozie37 (15499)
Turkmenistan
On November 3, 2008, Southern Californians are being urged to take part in the biggest earthquake drill in history. It will be called the "Shake Out Drill." There have been predictions for years about the San Andrea fault line, but never like this in the media. I have been hearing about the big one, seems like all my life. There is no way of knowing exactly when it will hit and because when it is your time to face disaster, there is no real way of avoiding it, I suppose that packing up and moving ANYWHERE, but here, would be rather fruitless. Have you ever experienced an earthquake? What was it like for you? http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24975627/
@the_ruler (1446)
• Turkey
I personally don't believe that the current technology can say the exact date of an earthquake. However, we should be ready for it because the tensions below the ground is visible to them. In my country they are always making warnings for a possible earthquake in forthcoming years but they just can't say the exact date,even year. maybe it is because the geological structure of my place a little complicated, maybe the technology is not yet good enough to say it. I have experienced a very terrible earthquake in my life. It was 17.08.1999 and I just remember it just like yesterday. I remember the whole duration of the earthquake second by second and I can tell them without missing anything! More than 8 years have passed over it but I just can't forget how scary it can be... You should be very prepared for such a disaster. Preparing earthquake bags and placing them to strategic points in your home etc. but the nature of we human.. We will never learn until it is too late.. All the best Wishes...
I live on a small Island, off the coast of British Columbia...the San Andreas fault runs right under this Island. For once, our provincial gov't has/is putting a wonderful plan in place!Each section of our province is sectioned off to a small area, that area is lead by a specially trained co-ordinator in disaster survival! He/she has a list of all equipment available in his/her area..4WD's, chainsaws, hand-held communication devices, boats, tents, etc., etc., so that he/she can enlist all to help in survival co-ordination, and rescue. All amenities are listed for each home (e.g. spare bedrooms, blankets, etc.) This program has been active for about 4 years, and 2 years ago this July, we had a major wildfire here. It's effectiveness was amazing at this time. Cheers.
@Rozie37 (15499)
• Turkmenistan
They have no idea when it is going to happen. But apparently they have a feeling that it is getting closer. I have been out here all of my 38 years and never have I heard of a quake preparedness drill of this level. I would hope that everything goes smoothly in California. Should it hit in my lifetime, I hope to be prepared.
@vanities (11410)
• Davao, Philippines
well i had experienced it...it was scary of course with shaking and the movements and plus who knows what will happen next...but fortunately i survive..yeah i agree with you relocating is useless unless your house is located near the fault line or near or along the coast line...it can be dangerous i guess to be living near those places ive mentioned..
@Rozie37 (15499)
• Turkmenistan
I am nineteen blocks from the Pacific Ocean right now. It might not be a bad idea to head futher east. But for now I have no immediate plans to move. I guess I will just leave my life in the hands of fate. It's not like I have much of a choice anyway, LOL.
Yeah, actually about a month ago there was an earth quake. It wasn't in my direct area, but I sure felt it. At first I thought it was the house settling, but it got worse more quickly. It's unusual to experience this in Michigan (although I think the quake was in Missouri or something) but my dad was in a hotel in southern Indiana away on business when there was an earth quake that just shook the hotel like crazy. He was actually kind of scared because he thought that it was an explosion. This was five years ago. Also, he experienced one when he was in Peru. It was much stronger. That must have been 25-30 years ago, though.
@Rozie37 (15499)
• Turkmenistan
I know that it can be frightening when your foundation begins to shake beneath you. You are rendered totally helpless and you know that anything can happen. I am glad to know that you both survied that shake ups.
@maddysmommy (16233)
I've experienced shakes but not anything major. You just make sure you're prepared for it Rozie with all the necessary materials you need and stock up food and bottled water. Do you have a basement area in your building?
@Rozie37 (15499)
• Turkmenistan
When I was younger, I had my own little earthquake kit. It was in a suitcase. I remember having canned goods in there that I didn't like. That way, I would only eat them if I had to. I will have to make up another one. A while ago, a friend gave me this really cool flashlight. All you do is turn the handle and it works. Normally, it is not worth the effort, but this will be perfect should I be desparate for light. I have never seen a basement, but I know they must have some place to stash the bodies, LOL, just kidding.
@maddysmommy (16233)
hahahaha! Speaking about being prepared I like your idea of a suitcase stacked with stuff. Hmm I know I wasn't ready for the storm yesterday and luckily I had some candles or else we would be sitting in the dark using our cellphones to give us light LOL I went and got some batteries today for both flashlights because they didn't work yesterday LOL and one of them doesn't work period, so I'm going to buy another flashlight.