Frugal Living to Save Money, Pays Off!

Wonder how my garden will look? - This is a beautiful picture, not my garden but something pretty to look at!
@gemini_rose (16192)
We, being my hubby and I have been scrimping and saving since about this time last year as we wanted to a) have a holiday and b) have our garden done. As most of you know I have had the holiday, such as it was. So we had managed to save enough for that. But also we have now saved enough for the garden and so the work started today!!I am so excited, we have had a fence and gate put in and today the layout work was done in preparation for the slabs to be laid next weekend to form my patio area. My hubby knows the guy that is doing the work and has been helping him out with it all day which is great because it is keeping the costs down!I am so pleased and when the patio area is done I will take photos and show all my friends here the before and after shots so you can see the results as they happen. I have made everyone live frugally to achieve this, and I mean frugal I have cut down on everything that we spend and although it has been hard, what with all the price rises on everything we have managed to do it, it is great! It just proves that if you want something badly enough anything is possible! Has anyone else been saving really hard for something they really want? What is it? Is anyone else having any work done on their house this year, either inside or out? What sort of work are you having done?, share all your plans here!
@stephcjh (32327)
My husband and I have been working seven days per week since last October. We are trying tomake enough money to pay off some of our debts and get ready for him to retire in about 10 more years. We also saved some money up and put a roof over our back deck and we are doing some landscaping in our yard also. We do all of the work ourselves.
@tessah (6621)
"share all your plans here!" ..;takes a deeeeeep breath;.. spent the last couple weeks on the outside working the yard, landscaping, clearing brush, cutting trees, pruning trees, weeding flower beds, building flower beds, transplanting flowers/bushes/plants from one flower bed to another, laying brick, designing gardens, and cultivating friendships with wold critters of all sorts. ..;takes another breath;.. on the inside, floors are being stripped, walls are being stripped, walls are being knocked down, stairs are being dismanteled and rebuilt, paint, varnish, finish, scrub, sift, sort, organize, design, build, demolish and refurbish. thus far our ritual room, livingroom, diningroom are finished.. in the midst of doing the exercise/gym room, from there the guest room and then onto the upstairs the sprites room, her playroom, mine and mals room, our dressng room, linen closets being gutted and rebuilt, bathrooms to be tore out, attc to be emptied out the windows onto the lawn.. sifted, organized, tossed.. basement demolished an refinished.. ..;pants;.. i think ya get the gist!! IM BUSY!! ..;falls over;..
@gemini_rose (16192)
Eeek you are busy, have you set a time that you want it all done for or are you just going with the flow?
@tessah (6621)
just going with the flow.. taking us about 2-3 weeks per room/project.. and it isnt stressful rush rush.. just a whole lot that needs doing and has needed doing for a very long time.
@wisedragon (2330)
I'm a frugal person too. I think people who say "I have a big salary, I don't need to save money" are really stupid. Everyone needs financial intelligence.
@gemini_rose (16192)
I totally agree with you, saving rather than having everything on credit is so much more rewarding.
@athinapie (1151)
I agree. If you save money then it will really pay off. I saved enough money to send myself to driving school and it was worth it. At least now I know how to drive a car. I don't have a car yet but I'm saving up for that too.
@gemini_rose (16192)
You did really well there, and I am sure that you will get your car.
@lingli_78 (12836)
wowww..., that is amazing... yes, frugal living definitely pays off... i had been living frugally as well with my hubby and we only buy what we needs... also, we seldom eat outside and i cook almost everyday... it pays off as now we had been able to pay off the personal loan and we have our own house... also, we have a nice car even though it is still on loan as well.. we just pray everyday that God will be merciful to us and give us His blessings everyday... take care and have a nice day...
@gemini_rose (16192)
You have done really well there, keep it up it sounds like you really know how to save money,
@ellie333 (21018)
I live on a budget these days too and have been saving to carpet my home since I moved in two years ago and each time I have got near to my goal something else has happened to have to use the money on so for my birthday this year my father gave me the go ahead to order and he would send a cheque, I didn't go ahead I waited until I received and it was for £200 which was lovely but not enough, bless he doesn't realise how much things cost but I have put into a separate account and have recently transfered my myLot income into it from paypal and am fast nearing the goal so I will then order and have fitted. Well done you for achieving your goal for the holiday and the garden, any chance your hubby and friend could pop down and do mine too, ofcourse you'd have a free accomodation holiday for the duration LOL. Mine is just so bad it is just a yard really and an embarrassment. Ellie :D
@peavey (16911)
Having a goal really helps, doesn't it? I make mini goals - bought a canner and an air conditioner for the bedroom, now I'm saving for a solar oven. My digital camera is broken, so that's on the list and so on. I don't have any great plans for the house, but want to buy paint for three rooms before cold weather comes this fall. Living frugally makes it possible to buy those things, even on a limited income.
@plumwish07 (4059)
we can't deny that the life being so hard at this moment due to high inflation which caused the increasing od world price oils and we can't do anything for that except accepted the impact of it in our daily lives as just like you, i also become more selective in buying anything in order to able save some of money. i will buy a stuff if i really need it, otherwise i just cancel to buy it. life is so hard but its not impossible to go through, am i right? now, i am concerning about how to make some saving due to this economic condition
I am retired and live on so cial security so saving is not really done but still I live frugally and now I have my three hundred dollars from Pres.Bushs funds for all americans. So I can do a few things I have been 'putting off like buy a few plants for my patio. That will be my big treat to myself. the rest will be in my bank of course.
@cher913 (25865)
we are saving to go on holidays during the summer - we have had two garage sales and throw our loose change into a bank and are at around $50 or so - its a good start! the next project will be to fix up our house for selling.
@plumwish07 (4059)
we can't deny that the life being so hard at this moment due to high inflation which caused the increasing od world price oils and we can't do anything for that except accepted the impact of it in our daily lives as just like you, i also become more selective in buying anything in order to able save some of money. i will buy a stuff if i really need it, otherwise i just cancel to buy it. life is so hard but its not impossible to go through, am i right?