Elmo Bank

Elmo Bank - Elmo bank made with plastic canvas and yarn.
@carolbee (16231)
Just finished the Elmo bank I've been making for our soon to arrive grandbaby. I used a Folger's plastic coffee can. The lid does have a slit in the top. What's your opinion? Is this a project I should make more and give to friends and relatives as gifts?
@jillhill (37377)
I'll have to check it out....Isn't it nice when you finally complete a project? I have a ton of stuff I am working on right now for a sale....I'll be happy when it's here and I slow down a bit! LOL
@carolbee (16231)
I am so thrilled I finished it just before the baby is born. My husband was teasing me that he wanted one too. He's such a dork...lol Thanks for responding.
@writersedge (22577)
That is amazing. I think when people see it, they will want you to make some for their kids. You're really talented. I think that is very cute. If I was a kid, I would want one. If I had a kid, I'd want one.
@carolbee (16231)
Thank you for the nice compliment. I took the bank to the hospital the other day when our baby was born and the nurses really liked it. I can't really promote it because it's licensed by Sesame Street but can make them for our grandkids. Thanks so much for responding.
@writersedge (22577)
Yes, I know it's a copyrighted image. Wonder if they have a Muppet crafts or needle work contest that you could enter. Take care
@busyB4 (875)
Its cute! I think of Elmo as more of a childish thing. I think it would be cute to do Cookie Monster though and fill with cookies!
@carolbee (16231)
There's another good idea. I made the Elmo bank for our new grandbaby and it's in her room. It looks so cute. Since the container is made with plastic, I could make a cookie monster and it could be used as a cookie jar. Thanks for responding.
@Grandmaof2 (7602)
I think that's a terrific idea. I love nothing more than home made gifts. When you think about it I think I am absolutely right in my thoughts when I say. I do appreciate a gift no matter what it is, it is a gift, however when I see home made stuff I feel like a whole lot of thought went into the gift and that is something you can't put a price on. Right? Yes I think you should make home made gifts, good idea my friend.
@carolbee (16231)
You are exactly right. Can't put a price on a handmade gift. I appreciate this kind of gift even moreso since I am a crafter. We know the time involved. A gift from the heart is the best. Thanks for responding.
I think that the bank is very cute! Nice of you to make it! I am sure lots of money will be saved in that bank for years to come!
@carolbee (16231)
It just takes so long to complete a project like this bank. Very time consuming but relaxing. Thanks for responding.
Hi carolbee, Oh yes, you can them and give them to your friends as Christmas persents, that will mean a lot to them as you work so hard on them using your imaginations and your labour, I would like one of them, then those expensive present which I have no use for me. Hugs. Tamara
@carolbee (16231)
I have 2 younger grandkids too I plan to make them each one but different than Elmo. Our grandson will love it if the bank comes with money. Thanks for the nice compliment and for responding.
@tyc415 (5706)
That is such a cute bank. I agree that it would be a great gift for others too. Can you make others with something else besides Elmo for those who are older and might find Elmo a little too much for younger children?
@carolbee (16231)
I can put anything on the plastic as long as I have some kind of pattern. I have 6 Sesame Street characters but can't sell them. Against copyright laws. Since it's for our family, it's fine. Am thinking about doing one for our grandson but need to get a dinosour pattern or something of that nature. Thanks for the nice compliment. This took me a long time to make but was fun. Thanks for responding.
@makingpots (11919)
So cute, carolbee! My son would just adore this bank. Absolutely I think people would enjoy this gift. What a cute idea.
@carolbee (16231)
I plan to make 2 more for our grandkids. The container is plastic so it can be placed in the dishwasher. The pattern is removeable and can be handwashable so it will keep everything clean and sanitary. Thanks for responding.
@twoey68 (13651)
I'd love to see a pic of it...it sounds really neat. [b]~~IN SEARCH OF PEACE WITHIN~~ **AGAINST THE STORMS, I WILL STAND STRONG** [/b]
@carolbee (16231)
I did upload a picture, although it's not that great, and you should be able to see it on the main page for this discussion or on my profile page. It was fun making this project. Thanks for responding.
i think the elmo bank is very cute i think it will make a wonderful present for a soon-to-arrive baby but i think an old plastic coffee can is kind of a cheap gift but i do not guess a baby would really care i like the piggy banks that are made of plain clay or mesh that you can paint and decorate yourself i do not think that they are as cheaply looking i do not think that this is a project that you should start making for your friends (no offense like i said its cute but cheap)
@carolbee (16231)
The benefits of usinga plastic coffee can are good. Can't see the can and it's safe. No sharp edges, etc. Thanks for responding.