Are you getting more cynical with age?

@arkaf61 (10881)
I am. I used to be trustful. I used to think that when people made decisions that affected me it was with my interests in mind as well. But.... I grew up LOL The only interests in mind are the ones concerning money, power and influence. That's all. I love when I see something like " For your safety we are installing cameras throughout this store." the translation really is " we are installing cameras to see if you're stealing from us" Or " for your convenience we will be asking for you name, phone number, etc so you will have to wait less for your order next time" translation is: I want your identification so I can spam you with offers and ads about our products and I can even possibly sell them to a third party for my own profit. There is no such thing that is done for my own safety or convenience or whatever they do and pretend it is done with me in mind. And that's the sad true. Are you growing cynical?
@myklj999 (47979)
Oh, I would say I am about as cynical as you can get. It is part of me; I'm not sure if it is a by-product of age or if it is just because I know better now.
@arkaf61 (10881)
I think it really is that we know better now :):):)
@sharra1 (6341)
I do not think it has anything to do with age at all it is knowledge and experience. For most people this tends to happen as they age and have more bad experiences. But some people have experiences early in life that teach them not to trust or at least to be wary before trusting and as their beliefs are confirmed they can become quite cynical.
@34momma (13891)
I am so not getting cynical in my growing older years. for me i have become more relaxed, more trusting of myself first and formost. i know there are people out there who think only their bottom line is important and if that's the life they choice to live i say go for it. i will not allow their choices affect me and my ever day life. I keep my mind open and ready for wonderful things to come
@arkaf61 (10881)
Believe me, I am much more relaxed now that I am not blindly positive. I still enjoy everything but I'm better at seeing things the way they actually are :)
@34momma (13891)
i hear ya. things appear as we choice to see them.
@ahgong (10064)
I guess we know better as we grow older. And with the wool over our eyes removed a little with every bit of knowledge gain, it is inevitable to be a little cynical at times. As Yoda would say... "The dark clouds shrouds everything. Careful, we must be. Uncertain times, these are!"
@arkaf61 (10881)
"Uncertain times, these are! " JUst about covers it :) Actually as I commented in another response I am still a very trustful person, but not blind. ANd I trust who I choose, it's an educated trust :)
@ahgong (10064)
Like I mentioned before, wishdom come with age. As we grow older, we learn more. As we learn more, we become more aware. And as we become more aware, we also make more educated decisions when trusting some one. So, it is only natural that at certain circumstances, we'd be cynical some times.
@sacmom (14250)
I've always been distrustful of others, but the older I get the more cynical I become. I know there are honest people out there (I try to be one of them), but it's hard to know who to trust or what to believe.
@arkaf61 (10881)
I am actually a very trustful person. But lately and more than ever trust must be eared. More than that.... trust is reserved for family, friends and people I know, there is no big corporation coming over and pretend my best interest is their main concern and expect me to believe it LOL
I think many of us are feeling more and more cynical, and those kinds of notices are showing up in more and more places. Our Pizza Hut, in order not to raise buffet prices, will stop the incentive program of eat ten get one free that they have had for years. Translate, we want to raise prices and we will eventually, but first we will take this incentive away and see who notices, or if we lose any business.
@arkaf61 (10881)
They really are. And what gets me mad is that they're throwing sand into our eyes trying to make it look like they're doing this for us, when in reality they couldn't care less. I hate that LOL
@vanities (11409)
• Davao, Philippines
yeah sometimes..and agree with you on that...growing up as a mature individuals and through the past experiences we had learned something..and trusting other people now a days for me needs time....but i can be paranoid sometimes
@arkaf61 (10881)
I guess that just like another person said, as we live longer and go trough different experiences we cannot help but realize things are not exactly as bright and shinny as we thought before we went trough those experiences. Thus we get a bit more cynical in general.
@coffeebreak (17811)
Talk about preaching to the choir arkaf61! I think that to but for me, and i say me cause I don't know your age, but for me at above 50 - I don't think it is cynical, it is just plain and simple common sense, and seeing where things have come from and how things have evolved and how they used to be and all! They dont' want to make things easy on me or anyone else, they want it easy on themselves and for themselves...just like you said. I don't think we are cynical at all - we are stating the facts. If more would be "cynical" instead of just giving everything to everybody, scammers, hackers nad the like wouldn't be ripping people blind while they are being starred at! And facts and truths are also what people don't want to hear or listen to. Now everything has to be "politically correct" - and all that means is giving such a broad definition that it can emcompas anything and everything while not placing responsibility! No, we are not cynical - we are just looking at the world through our eyeballs instead of rose colored glass - that only worked for that song back in the 70's, forget the name but I liked the song - was it Chicago that sang it? And if they are so concerned for our safety, why are there not policemen (not security officers as they are basicallay useless if something really does happen!) at our disposal every minute we are at their store? That'd show me they were concerned! Stay cynical - you'll stay in one piece!
@arkaf61 (10881)
I'm so with you coffeebreak:) As for politically correctness that is the worse bullsh*t that we have created so far. It's adding to the problems instead of solving them more often than not.
@julise (494)
I am. I have to agree with age we are getting more cynical. But age is not the problem, its actually the 'experience' while we're getting old. We learn things are not as good, bright and shinny like we use to imagine. We lost our possitive thinking a bit by bit. We can still save some, but most of it lost by the 'bad experience'. We get more caution
@arkaf61 (10881)
Although I am still quite positive experience did teach me a thing or two - and none really pretty LOL You are right, our experiences influence the way we think about things in general, and usually the longer we live the more we experience the not so bright side of everything.
@sharra1 (6341)
It is not age but knowledge and experience that makes us cynical. It often seems to be age because as we get older we become more cynical but in fact it is just that it takes time for some people to experience enough stuff to make them cynical. Some people become cynical very young in life because they grow up very fast.