Have you ever filed for bankruptcy?

@Humbug25 (12551)
Nearly six years ago my husband, at the time, put us both through a bankruptcy due to his excessive gambling and shopping sprees. We already had one son and I was 8 months pregnant with our second child. I don't think I have ever been so embarrassed, humiliated or felt so ashamed in all my life. My husband wasn't working, we were technically homeless and were starting a family. When we couldn't make the minimum repayments we went to our local Citizen's Advice Bureau and a lady there helped us no end, right from the start to the finish. She even told us how to apply to a company to give us money to pay for the court fees. It was a very easy process and even the judge nodded at us and told us that we would now be able to sleep at night. I was expecting him to shout us down and felt that he would have had every right to, but no, that was it the slate was wiped clean. Even though it gave us a new lease of life I couldn't help thinking that it was so wrong. My husband had spent that money of his own free will and now didn't owe anyone a penny! Have you ever been through a bankruptcy? What was your experience like? Are thinking of filing for bankruptcy? How do you feel about bankrupt people?
@Sissygrl (10914)
I have never. and i think i'd have to owe a lot of money before iw ould! My inlaws decided that they would do it, and then maxed all their cards even bought us a new bed and some other things.. then after talking to the bank they decided NOT to declare... odd.. i guess that wasn't thought thouroughly though first.!
@Sissygrl (10914)
you know that could be exactly what happened, cause they actually own their home.. maybe they didn't realize they would be homeless.. i'm sure most of their debt was in brand new vehicles as they had two between the two of them.. one was fully loaded.. they relenquished them to the bank and seem to be doing ok now.. Hope they consolidated the credit cards with the banks.. i'm sure that's the smart thing to do!
@moondancer (7433)
No I haven't not yet. Although we come close to having to about 3 years ago when the company my husband was working for quit giving him his per-diem and we had to foot the bills he had from his income, that left us with just a pentance to pay bills and have what was needed. Never mind any wants they just were able to be bought. Niether was all of the bills being able to be paid on time. That period really messed us up in so many ways. I'm still trying to climb out of that deep deep hole we got into. Now he is no working because the company he is with has no work for him and he has put out many many resumes. No job yet. We will do what we have to.
@Humbug25 (12551)
Hi ya moondancer Aww you poor thing, I do hope something comes your husbands way soon and you can sort things out, but like you say, do what you have to do! Thanks for your response
hey hum, My hubby got a job. He doesn't start until the middle of the month, but hit is a job offer and not just a contract offer. Under contract he would just work how many weeks the job takes. This one he is hired in and will be company after his probationary period is up.
@ANTIQUELADY (36468)
i think the circumstances as to why u are doing it makes a difference. when it happens on account of somone like your ex just gambling it away he doesn't deserve to get off that easy. if there was a sickness where u couldn't work or something serious u deserve to be able to get help but not for people who have just not taken care of their money.
@ANTIQUELADY (36468)
he's about a sorry a$$. you are sooooooo much better off without somone like that. don't u just hate it when u realize what a mistake u made. been there done that. good luck.
@riyasam (16571)
i have not gone completely bankrupt but due to my illness,i had to stop working and it did put a strain on our finances but we did have the support of my parents.
@Humbug25 (12551)
Hi ya riyasam Well that's great that you had family to fall back on. I didn't want to go to my family for help. Thanks for your response