Which would you prefer hand wash or dry cleaning?

For cleaning the clothes, which is best method according to you. by hands or dry cleaning? I use hand wash for my casual clothes. But i prefer to dry clean my expensive and used to occasionally dresses. I think if we use most dry clean to our clothes then they lose there shine and being weak early.
@mariposaman (2967)
I suppose dry-cleaning is probably the best way to make your clothes last the longest but I simply could not afford it for everything. If it does not go into the washing machine around here does not get worn. Maybe after I win the lottery I will buy new clothes and get them dry cleaned so that I can look spiffy all day long.
@emilie2300 (1889)
I would actualy perfer to have to take my clothes to the dryer cleaner. I dont want to have to fuss with hand washing the clothes.
I have never dry cleaned my clothing. So I would really not know. I would rather hand wash over machine washing. I find that washing my clothing by hand I control things.
I used to work at a dry cleaners (my first high school job) - and from what I know, dry cleaning is the BEST way to protect your clothes from becoming "shiny" and losing durability earlier than usual. Contact with water is usually what causes materials to weaken; but this is just from my personal experience. I used to get my dry cleaning for free - so needless to say, I would bring in pretty much my whole wardrobe to be dry cleaned, and the results were usually great. Hand washing has the amazing advantage of being totally free. However, for things like dress shirts (especially mens), suits, and other things that need to be pressed, I think I would prefer for them to be drycleaned - because that takes the hassle out of doing it yourself (and believe ME, it's definitely a hassle). One downside to dry cleaning is that it usually doesn't do an amazing job with stains, it can't reduce the appearance of pilling, and so on. It's really not the "be-all-end-all" solution to clothes care, but for certain items, I'd say it's definitely worth it. For things like sweaters, jeans, blouses - hand washing is definitely an easier, quicker, and more cost-effective alternative. :)