Why do they use cancer-causing X-rays to check for cancer?

@nanajanet (4436)
I never really understood why X-rays, which can cause cancer, are used to look for cancer? It makes no sense to me, nor to many doctors, either. They have a new imaging system that contains no radiation yet they are not covered by medical insurance. I wish they would come into the 31st century! http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2008/11/26/why-mammography-is-not-an-effective-breast-cancer-screen.aspx
@peavey (16906)
I'd like to think the reason is the cost, but mainstream medicine is archaic in more ways than X-rays. They just get stuck in a rut and can't seem to climb out. Of course, part of it could government regulations. Everything comes wrapped in red tape.
@nanajanet (4436)
Yeah, red tape attached to the pockets of many of the companies who make money from them.
@peavey (16906)
Good point. :)
@LadyMarissa (12160)
I'd just be happy if they made it into the 21st century!!!
@LadyMarissa (12160)
I think you know how little I trust most doctors!!! No money...NO treatment
@nanajanet (4436)
Yeah, me too, of course it would help if I proof read my stuff first!! LOL Presidents have tried to make it that no one goes without medical care in this country but it keeps getting shot down. I hope that Obama is successful in what he proposes.
@soulist (2986)
Acutally the effects of the x-rays are like a 1 in 100 chance of causing cancer. I asked that same question when I needed radiation to help cure my cancer. The detection and cure is more important and more likely than the risks. The risks are more long term and could possibly never happen. Where as cancer is important now. Sometimes the imaging systems can't see as far deep as x-rays can and they can also tell when something is active or not.
@nanajanet (4436)
Actually, from what I have read on this new imaging system, that is is more accurate than an x-ray, that is where my concern lies.