Temporary Protection Status

@worldwise1 (14887)
I read with interest an article in Yahoo News today about the plight of a Liberian man who has been living in this country for years under temporary protection status. I had never given it much thought, but, I have to wonder if this is a fair arrangement given that these people have carved out a life for themselves here(some have been living here for as long as 15 years), only to be forced to return to their country of origin after a period of time. The way this works is the people are given protection in the United States in cases where there is armed conflict in their home country, then, years later when things have settled down somewhat in their own country they are ordered to return there. Needless to say, some have married and had children, established steady employment, and generally become inured to the system here. In light of all of this do you think it is unfair that they should have to give up everything they have gained while staying here if they have the desire to remain in this country?
@Aurone (4757)
I guess temporary is better than nothing. Its not fair, but what does our government do that is? Is it any more fair than all the illegals that are here that can be abused because they aren't going to report anything for fear of getting deported? Our immigration system needs some help, but what is the solution, we can't accept everyone as much as we would like too.
@worldwise1 (14887)
This is somewhat different, Aurone, from someone who has entered the country illegally. These people were relocated here(ostensibly for their safety), and having established a new life they should be allowed to pursue it.
@Aurone (4757)
I agree. If we let them relocate here then we should let them stay. If they are productive members of society then I don't see why they should have to leave. I have many friends who I would love to see get permanent status--I know a lot of graduate students from other countries. And many of them have had trouble with their visas so that they couldn't go home cause they might not be able to get back in the country or had to leave their significant others in their home countries cause of visa trouble. Which might not sound so bad until you consider that most science PhDs take 6-8 years to complete.
@winterose (39897)
yes I do think it is unfair, once they have come and are accepted they should be allowed to stay and make a life, otherwise it is not much more than a prison sentence, having your life on hold like that. It is like you are traumatized twice, once for fleeing and then having to go back again.
@worldwise1 (14887)
I agree with you wholeheartedly, winterose.
@carolbee (16231)
I don't think it's fair to make this man or anyone return to their country of origin if they are established and settled in another country. It should be a personal choice as long as the person(s) remaining here become citizens. I would hate to be forced back to my country if it was my choice to leave in the first place.
@worldwise1 (14887)
Well said, carolbee. If the person did not bring about the conditions that led to them being relocated, they should not be penalized by being forced to go back once they have been exposed to an entirely new way of life.
@KrauseHome (36751)
Well, this has always been an issue at hand for sure. Many times I feel that people who come here to the USA to make their life better for them, and their families do have a right to live here and be Happy. If they are taking the time to want to get a job and work hard then why are people making a Big deal of it? Yes, they should take time to make themselves legal enough to stay here, but I feel if someone is living here in the US and working then they should have every right to be here as well.
@worldwise1 (14887)
When the reason for their entering this country are for their safety, KrauseHome, that should be taken into consideration if they have to remain here for years. Admittedly, some might wish to return to their homeland, but it is understandable that many would have grown accustomed to their new life in a new land.
I would think that they should be able to seek citizenship status. Is this not an option.? Or is it that they do not desire it? Many things seem unfair, lately.
@worldwise1 (14887)
In the case of this man, GG, he has expressed a desire to remain in this country with his family, but cannot do so under the present laws. The article stated that he would first have to return to his home and reapply to enter this country - which might take a very long time.
@mummymo (23707)
I do think that when someone has been allowed to stay in a country for a long span of time and as you say , made a life for themselves and then is forced to leave that life and country behind and return to their country of origin where they have nothing it is a very unfair way of doing things - especially as you wouldn't know if the situation was truly resolved an whether that person would be in danger as they had been living abroad for so long! xxx
@worldwise1 (14887)
At the very least, mummymo, a time limit should be imposed as to the number of years they must remain in a country in order to become a naturalized citizen if they so desire.