Who my daughter's are dating

Last night, my daughter Kristen and her boyfriend Jon were at the house. We were talking about Lauren, my youngest daughter and the young man she started dating about a month ago. Chris is a cadet at the Little Rock Police Academy. Jon, being the funny man that he is all of a sudden began to laugh. "Hey Mom!" he said "If I marry Kristen and Chris marries Lauren...you'll have a policeman and a fireman for sons in laws. You'll be safe for life!" Jon is not only a fireman but a trained paramedic and works part time for an ambulance service! I swatted him upside his head but laughed right along with him. But after he and Kristen left to go to the movies, I was talking to Mike about it. Could I handle having two sons in laws who were in two of the most dangerous professions there are? Well, Yea, I think I can because they are doing what they feel they are called to do. Could you? Would you want to?
I'm not sure if I would be happy with it but the bottom line is that it's the daughters' decisions and they aren't going to care if Mom doesn't want them to be with some guy because of his profession. I think it's just one of those things you have to just not think about. I'm expecting my first child and though the quiz I took on What to Expect said it was a boy, it turns out I'm having a daughter. So, thank you for this because it's helping to prepare me for yet another challenge of parenting a girl
I have to disagree with you. If you raise them to respect your opinions they do care what you think! My girls ask for my opinions, I think partly due to the fact that I have always tried to keep the lines of communication open both ways. I listen to them when they have a problem with something I've done and we try to work it out instead of me just slamming the door closed and saying "I'm the mom and that's the way it's going to be". My parents did that with me, and I hated them for it.
I'm not a mom but I have two sisters and we are all married. I'm the oldest and my husband is a profesional driver. You wouldn't think that was very dangerous but the more time you spend on the road the more you realize that some people should just not have driver's licenses. He has been hit once and has whitnessed numorus accidents on the interstate. Not to mention the dangers of dilivering something to a running oil rig. Thie middle sister's husband worked on an oil rig as a tool pusher until last week when he was laid off. That is a dirty, messy, dangerous job also. He is now working as a welder (we hope he can manage to not catch himself on fire (: ) The youngest sister is married to an ex marine who is a civilian firefighter on a base here in the US. But my mom has her worries about her daughters also: an EMT who is also an ER Nurse, and two furture teachers (not a traditionaly dangerous job but it seems to be more so every day). You would be blessed to have such strong and respected son in laws. (my mom says she is)
Well, they aren't my sons in laws yet, but I am still very proud of them! They've been a part of the girls lives for awhile, though Chris not as long as Jon. I fully expect Kristen and Jon to marry. He told me when he was 14 years old that he loved my daughter. He's 20 now and still claims to love her. LOL. They've broken up a couple of times, but always seem to end up back together.
I guess if your girls can handle it you can. Those are noble professions, and look at this way, the odds of them ever being laid off are slim. It sounds like you have men of great character around your family. That is really cool! I guess when you love someone, you can handle any profession they are in.
The job security thing is certainly true. It is unfortunate, but something that we will always have to have. Jon was here tonight and telling about a run they went on this morning that the fire department had to be called (he was working for the ambulance service) He is waiting impatiently to be 21 so he can apply to the fire department full time instead of just doing volunteer.
If that was where God led my kids, I would accept it. I would also philosophize that because of them the whole profession would be safer, because of their excellence and commitment.
Jon and Chris are both wonderful, Christian young men with obvious love for my daughters. Jon and Kristen dated for awhile in high school and then broke up (As a matter of fact, he was her first real love) both have dated other people, and just kind of drifted back together. He told me last night "Mom, it just feels Right with Kris". Chris is several years older than Lauren. He treats her like a queen, which is the way it should be! THey are the type of young men that we have prayed for our girls since they were just babies.
Could I? The question is, would I have a choice? I married an older man who just retired from the IT business, because he's going blind, and can't see to do his job anymore. Anyway, the other day I told him how glad i was that he got his military service out of the way before we got involved (hell he got it out of the way before i was even born! LOL), because I would not want to think of him in combat, and be the wife waiting at home for osmeone who might not making it. No sooner do I say that, then I discover that my beloved step-son went off to Marine bootcamp!!!! :( :( :( Does it EVER end????!!!!
oh my sweet friend! Please send me your sons name=in a pm if you feel more comfortable. I would love to put his name on our military list at church. They are prayed over several times a week. I know what you mean about it never ending. The young woman my son was dating wanted way more too quickly than he was ready for. They are no longer together and it hurt all of us. We had all fallen in love with both she and her daughter who was 2 months old yesterday.