Instead of raising a pet why do't people adopt an Orphan?

i have seen a lot of people spending thousands of bucks on their pets.At the same time i have seen Orphans who don't have proper food and wear torn donated clothes.Why don't people show the pity on these orphans instead of those pets.
@Informer (803)
Hi deepika, You have a nice point. As we know that a child comes with a responsibilty.. One has to take responsibilties for his/her future.. And I am sorry to say that some people thinks dogs as a status symbol, an orphan can't be a status symbol... People need to think about that.. Good Topic
@WebMann (4732)
Well I was an orphan so I know what that's like all too well but I still won't want to have had a pet lover take me instead of a pet. Today I have friends that have pets and no kids and I am glad they did it that way. These people just aren't always good with humans so it's better for them to have pets instead. :) I won't go into to all the abuse I received from the age of 5 to 15 but most of them should have had pets instead of me.
@ShellyB (5243)
It is a provocative discussion, why would people want to adopt a pet vs adopting a child? I will say in my case, I do not have the sources to adopt a kid, I have a child myself that has been a main focus in my life, I do not see myself with another kid, I don't think I can't handle that much responsibility and with my health history and credit history I do not believe there is an adoption agency in my country that will say I can have a kid by adoption) I do see myself getting a dog, will I spend thousands of dollars on it? No, I am shocked that there are people in India that would spend thousands of dollars on a pet.
Generally speaking we have pets because we can. I'm not being nasty just stating a simple fact. We have 2 foster children as well as our own. We also have "pets" because they enrich our lives in soooo many ways. For most of us we don't consider them pets but members of our families!It isn't a matter of pity as it is location for most. Charlene
@bamrahkirti (1818)
A very serious and thoughtful post i must say. The burden of rearing and nurturing a child is far more bigger and complicated than raising a pet.From financial point of view also more money is required for the nourishment and education of an adopted child than a pet who just requires few bucks for raising for a limited period only. Adopting a child is a long term commitment towards the child and society at large and 90% of the human are not ready for it.