Toxic Chemicals in Air Fresheners
May 7, 2009 3:49pm CST
Did you realize that most air fresheners contain at least two toxic ingredients and are dangerous to your health and that of your family and anyone who visits your artificially-scented house? For one, they contain Formaldehyde - that's the stuff they use to embalm people. Formaldehyde is highly toxic and a known carcinogen. Formaldehyde is stored by the body, in your brain cells. They also contain phenol, another poison and a skin irritant. Phenol exposure can cause convulsions, coma and even death. Many people are concerned about breathing second-hand smoke but wouldn't give a thought to their health in a highly scented environment. Why does the government pass smoking bans but allow these toxic chemicals to be used in public buildings and restrooms? Maybe we should institute a special tax on scented laundry detergents and air fresheners like they have on cigarettes? Here's the proof of the dangers of air fresheners: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/07/080723134438.htm
• United States
8 May 09
Wow I went and read all that stuff and I am surprised. I use air fresheners in my house, and I love them, don't know that I can give them up, I'm not a fanatic about it, but I do like them sometimes as well as scented candles, though now i'm worried about my bird and if it would effect him. Thanks for the info.
1 person likes this