I always wondered why I couldn't get rice like they have in Chinese restaurants.

@dragon54u (31638)
But then I was listening to a cooking show a couple weeks ago and he mentioned they use Jasmine Rice. I looked and it was three times the price but when you think of all the meals you get it still wasn't that much so I tried it. Yum! Rice just like in the Chinese restaurants! A lot of you already know this, I'll bet. Have you ever picked up some useful information about cooking when you weren't expecting it? Do you have any secrets to share about Chinese food, which is my favorite?
My favorite rice is Basmati but I did try Jasmine a few times but I like the crunchy texture I can get with brown Basmati. Actually, my secret its rather simple but just perfect for me--I use a potato peeler to "peel" my carrots and its far better than putting carrots into a processor and shredding them that way. I like long thin thin strips of carrot and they are so naturally sweet and easy to eat (not TOO crunchy and bitter) this way. I do this for stir fry too and it cuts the time of cooking to nearly nothing my favorite combination is red cabbage and thin peels of carrot with some basmati and olive oil (few shakes of Mrs. Dash). I learned this from watching Iron Chef America and they used the 'peels' as a garnish but as soon as I saw it (it was not even a minute process) it was like Eureka because I eat a lot of veggies and anytime I can make the process easier (you use fresh ingredients every day) and faster I'm on top of it. The peeler is a very common tool in French Cuisine.
@dragon54u (31638)
The carrot peels sound like a great idea, thanks! I love stir fry, it's good for me and very few calories with a lot of vitamins. I've tried brown rice and don't like the crunchy texture. I think it's an acquired taste. Thanks for the suggestion!
hi dragon one thing about chinese food, it has to be fresh and eaten hot.. never leave them for later for the rice part .. jasmine is just the brand name right .. my advise for you is to cook you rice in the rice cooker then you remove it into another container and if your rice cooker comes with steam facilities then you steam the cooked rice .. the rice will be hot when you are ready to eat and it is not dry as the water is smothing it at the same time .. the rice is 'individual' and not sticky cheers
@dragon54u (31638)
Brand name is Mahatma, it says its Thai fragrant long grained rice. Jasmine must be a common name for this type of rice. I don't have a rice cooker, I just use a covered pot. I can think of a way to steam it, though, so thanks for the suggestion!
Jasmine rice is delicious! So is Basmati rice...I found out that's what this Indian restaurant used that I went to. It was white rice that I could just eat by itself; I loved it! I asked them and they told me what kind of rice. I couldn't have been happier the first time I ate it home-cooked! Two Chinese restaurants near me serve a hot tea that is DELICIOUS. I found out about Oolong tea from one (if you sweeten it just a little bit it's almost like a treat it's so good), and I can't think of the name of the other, but it's different and good. One Asian-like sauce I love to sautee tofu in (I'm a vegan and this sauce is amazing!) is extremely easy to make. You mix tamari sauce with maple syrup. Depending on whether you like tangy or sweet better, you mix either more tamari or more syrup. After making the sauce I usually just sautee tofu in it, although veggies are really good in it too. I would give this sauce a try. :)
@dragon54u (31638)
I've never heard of tamari but the sauce sounds great! I'll see where I can find some. I love tea! Oolong is great but there are some Indian teas that are heavenly. Assam is one. I like Irish Breakfast tea, too. The last Chinese restaurant I went to had a peach-ginger tea that was delicious and I found some Lipton in that flavor-it's pretty good! The Republic of Tea is a great place online to get lots of varieties of tea. So are tea rooms that are popping up all over the country, they have a nice selection and you can buy tins of loose tea to try at a low price. Tea is one of the joys of life, I'm glad you found a flavor you really like. I don't really like green tea but there are a lot of other teas that are delectable.
Tamari sauce is a lot like soy sauce only it has extra flavorings in it. You can find it in most grocery stores that have different ethinicity sections. It's so funny you mention all the flavors of tea...until a few years ago I had no idea there were different types of tea. It seems like tea is getting more popular and people are getting to try the different flavors and realizing there's more than just black tea. Like you said, green tea isn't my thing. It's so tasteless to me and if you sweeten it, it's like drinking sugar water. Oolong and black are my favorites, and I love peach and raspberry flavorings. I'll try to find somewhere where I can try those teas you mentioned. :)
@barehugs (8984)
I went on a Tour of East Asia in 06. I was looking forward to the Real Chinese food, but was quite disappointed. After only a couple of weeks I would have given anything for a MacDonalds Big Mac which I would never eat in Canada or the US. One problem was Noodle Soup 3 times a day boiled in huge pot over an open fire. The soup tastes unsalted and has a few bits of beef or pork, but no distinctive taste except rice and noodles which are very bland. Tepid Tea is served with the meal in a water glass. There are plenty of greens that can be added to the soup such as water cress. When we went to a better class restaurant for lunch we were served soup once again accompanied by egg rolls and several other tasteless dishes which the natives enjoy. Any beef we were served was shaved from a stack of cheaper cuts and boiled. It was so tough my jaw was sore, and even my teeth were so sore I could hardly eat. Bread most Asian Countries is unheard of as are Potatoes. Fruit is very plentiful and cheap, but is so exotic westerners have no idea how to eat it. The Chinese do not use sugar in Asia, like they do here in America. MSG is not used and the food (although healthy is tasteless and very Bland.
@barehugs (8984)
I forgot to mention the rice! You can get it steamed or boiled and either way its white and Tasteless. There are several sauces available. Rice is a staple food and everybody loves it and eats it in Great Quantities. I've had enough Chinese food to last me forever!
@dragon54u (31638)
That's just what my inlaws said when they visited there! Only they were disturbed because they couldn't find out what kind of meat they were eating. I think that our North American taste buds have become so overstimulated with all the salt and sugar we eat that we can't taste the subtle flavors the Chinese can--or maybe they're so fit and lean because their food sucks? Anyway, I really shouldn't say food in a Chinese restaurant is Chinese--if you look at what the help eats, it's nothing like the high fat and salt swill they serve us willing Americans! Nope, they have a bowl of rice, lots of vegetables, a little meat and a savory sauce to mix it in!
@nitu1952 (286)
yes it may be possible that you won't get the rice in the various chinese restaunts. yes it's a really a matter of wondering that rice is not available in the restraunt's.because rice almost exists in the every restraunt regardless of the country.
@dragon54u (31638)
Jasmine rice is very tasty and I'm glad I found out what it is.
@flzmlady (418)
i dont know that whether chinese restaurants overseas use jasmine rice or not, but i do not use it.we just use common rice and i dont know what the flavor the oversea restaurants' rice tastes.
@dragon54u (31638)
Jasmine rice is just like other white rice but it has a bit of a nutty flavor, very subtle. You'd probably like it.
That would explain the difference. I would imagine you had to get the Jasmine rice from a specialty grocery store. No secrets about Chinese food, as I don't know alot about making it other than I saw on a recipie site how to make egg drop soup, wich I may have to try when I remember to get enough chicken stock to try it.
@dragon54u (31638)
Actually, I found it at Walmart. I'd seen it before but balked at the price--$2.89 for a bag whereas the regular stuff is $.69. But it's worth it, it's so good! Chinese is fairly easy, you just have to watch your temperatures and time. But making the sauces are time consuming, so many ingredients but so delicious!
I love chinese food but it seems like whenever I have tried to make it it has ended up being kind of mushy and not like the stuff in the restaurants. lately my kick has been Indian food because I really like that better and I think it is a little bit better for you. i would like any tips when it comes to making Indian food it is better.
@dragon54u (31638)
You're in luck because myLot has a LOT of Indian members! I'll bet if you post a discussion you'll get lots of suggestions. Cruise around and look for people from India and make friend requests, especially of the women as they would probably cook more than the men. I haven't gotten into Indian food yet but I may spend the rest of the year cooking foods of the world. It would be a welcome change.
@neildc (17251)
• Lapu-Lapu City, Philippines
here in the philippines, we have a lot of vairants of rice, brands and types. one of the most favorites is ganador but is much expensive compared to other types. we cook rice usually in a pot and with the most convenient way, gas stove that is with LPG. LPG price goes higher every week so we now use charcoal or wood. some say food cooked with wood or charcoal tastes a lot better that cooked with LPG. rice is the most common and favorite food in the philippines eaten with other food. rice also great eaten together with chinese food.
@agv0419 (3027)
Jasmine rice here in the Philippines is expensive. We are lucky that we have so many varieties of rice to choose from. Rice is taste good when you cook it in charcoal or wood. For convenience use rice cooker or cook it on stove. The price of rice is unstable and goes up very often. Last year we had shortage of rice which resulted in the price increase of it.