Redcoats, Colonists and the "kinder, gentler" way to fight wars.

@ParaTed2k (22977)
Sheboygan, Wisconsin
The stories have been handed down since the beginning of the United States. In the Revolutionary War, the "Redcoats" stood in lines shooting across the field, while the Colonists used tactics of "cover" and "Concealment" learned from the tribes. We often laugh and wonder why anyone would consider that a good way to win a battle, much less a war. Today we have people who demand a return to that way of fighting, except they want the US to be the Redcoats, and anyone who wants to bag a few (or a few thousand) the colonists. They make excuses why the "bad guys" can get away with all manner of horrors, but if we don't fight the "chivary" war, we are evil. We have "leaders" who demand "Justice" for our troops, but also demand kinder and gentler treatment of even the most vile leaders of Al Qaeda, the Taliban and other groups. We have calls for investigations, which could even include releasing the names of CIA operatives (yeah, the ones who really do field work, not the "covert" status of Valarie Plamme). Of course, those investigations can't include anyone that is actually responsible for overseeing the use of government funds, assets and personnel. We can investigate the agent, but how can we ever hold people in Congress...even those with first hand knowledge and given consent of the alledged gaining of lifesaving information. What they want is for our CIA agents and troops to stand up on the battlefield as our own leaders and incompetent press take shots at them.
@xfahctor (14126)
• Lancaster, New Hampshire
I believe the decision to use our military should always be made with the greatest prudence, the deepest of thought and discussion, and with as much reluctance as one applies to the taking of any life. But, once that decision is made, I believe it is a crime to send our soldiers in to harm's way with tied hands, rediculaously restrictive rules of engagement and to expect them to put the life and rights of the enemy above their own. One of the biggest gripes I had with that idiot, Donald Rumsfeld was that was EXACTLY how he thought we should fight a war and it cost us dearly in Iraq durring the first part of the war, I think that alone should get him prosecuted for negligence.
@ParaTed2k (22977)
• Sheboygan, Wisconsin
Yup, that's where Rumsfeld lost my support too.
@Maggiepie (7816)
[b]It's time. I dare not specify for what, since these words are monitored...but those who have ears to hear...know of what I speak. It's time. IT'S TIME. IT'S TIME. Maggiepie "WHERE'S THE BIRTH CERTIFICATE?"[/b]
@iriscot (1290)
Ted, I may be wrong but wasn't the primary goal of the CIA agents to gather information while being behind the enemy lines. I have no problem with covert operations when they are going after the bad guys, and even taking them out. And I have no problem with things such as that being kept under cover. I believe it was Napoleon who stressed that: If I have more soldiers facing yours, I will eventually win, we know he was wrong. They used the same old tactics during the Civil War, instead of taking a defensive position as he normally did, General Lee lost the battle of Gettysburg by using the "red coats" tactics. My great grandfather from Mississippi lost his left arm and was wounded in the left leg in that charge up the hill. Dumb decisiona are made by our Generals and leaders all of the time it seems. As far as any covert operations by CIA agents who have infiltrated the enemy lines and collected information or carried out excersizes against Bin Laden or Al Qaeda, I definately think the press should keep their nose out of the situation.